Topic: Velocity Calibration -- silent notes -- when does it end?

Newbie question:

I'm a new Pianoteq user.  I'm playing a Casio PX-350 into the USB port of my computer.  Everything plays fine.

Now, I'm trying to use the "Keyboard calibration assistant". 

I start Pianoteq.

When I click on "Calibration", I get a "Keyboard Calibration Assistant" introduction screen.  I click on "Start".

It asks me to play a key as softly as I can, which I do.  And I see the keypress line on the "Velocity" graph, so I know Pianoteq "heard" it.

But my only options (buttons) are:
. . . Cancel
. .   Back
. . .  Skip

How do I tell the program that I've played the key?   Shouldn't there be a "Continue" button, as well?

[I know there's a posted velocity curve for the PX-350, and I can use it.  But I'd still like to use the "assistant".]

Thanks --

.      Charles / Vancouver, BC

Re: Velocity Calibration -- silent notes -- when does it end?

I think you might have to repeat the note a few times so it can get a good average.

Windows 10 1511 | Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5GHz | 16GB RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 | JBL LSR305
Casio Privia PX-150 | M-Audio Oxygen 49 (Gen 3)
Pianoteq Standard 5.5.1 | D4, K2, U4, KIViR, Bells

There is a horizontal line going from right to left on the "next" button. You have to wait until it comes all left and then it goes to the next step automatically. You have nothing to do

Last edited by stamkorg (12-04-2014 15:58)

Interesting test result:

. . . When I try this with my PX-350, that "horizontal line on the NEXT button"  never appears!

. . . But when I try it with my microKorg XL+, it works fine!.

Either

(a) it's a problem with the PX-350 having "high-resolution MIDI velocity" (2 bytes of MIDI velocity data), or

(b) it is because I'm using "MIDI over USB".

I will try with the PX-350 "MIDI Out" jack, and see what happens . . .

.     Charles

PS -- EDIT -- Running "Calibration" with input from the PX-350 "MIDI Out" jack (into a MIDI-to-USB adapter cable), _everything works fine_.

. . . I have my own "velocity curve", now, and it's significantly different from the one in the library. 

So I suspect a bug in the handling of high-resolution MIDI velocity, via the Pianoteq USB MIDI software, that only affects the "Calibration" module.

Last edited by cpcohen (24-04-2014 05:33)

I am using a PX-780 with USB as controller and I believe it would be the same as the PX-350.  I also had a lot of trouble with the Calibration.  I finally got it to work by repeatedly playing the notes at each level.  I dont have MIDI cables to try that option.  I wonder if using the USB connection has any other affect?

Bill

Can you post a screenshot of the options / midi panel after you have played notes that were not "registered" by the keyboard calibration , so that we can check what midi events were actually received by pianoteq ?

julien wrote:

Can you post a screenshot of the options / midi panel after you have played notes that were not "registered" by the keyboard calibration , so that we can check what midi events were actually received by pianoteq ?

With apologies --

I started to do this, and got to the "Audio Setup / MIDI  | MIDI " panel --

. . . And then I saw:    "Dialect:"

. . . .   and one of the options was "Hi-res CC#88"   !!!!

I never thought (before) to set that for the PX-350 -- it played OK with the default "Standard MIDI" setting. 

When I set the "Dialect" option correctly (to "Hi-res CC#88"), the "Calibration" panel worked correctly, with the PX-350 plugged into the computer's USB port !

And now, I can't replicate my initial problem, even with "Dialect" set to "Standard MIDI".

. . . Maybe I didn't wait long enough, for the "Next" button to appear . . .

I think you can put this 'bug report' into the pile marked "Solved -- no action required".

.       Charles

PS -- After "calibration", with a little bit of curve-smoothing, Pianoteq is _delightful_ to play.  Very responsive, and with a wide, reliable dynamic range.

Since your last post I set the "Dialect" option to "Hi-res CC#88" and also had much better results with the calibration.  Thanks for the heads up.

Bill