Re: Pianoteq 5

Beto-Music wrote:

Ok... but I suspect the smile of yours indicates the new version it's very good.

EvilDragon wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

But... Is K2 the best model now in terms of piano sound naturality?

Which model will suit you best is something you will be able to decide when it's out.

Like kids in the back seat of the car, while on a road, asking:  "Dad... when we will arrive???

Kridlatec wrote:
paolopiano wrote:

demo ... demo ... demo ...

Just let MODARTT finish their job.

In Pianoteq 4,5 there were two ambience settings in piano YC5 and one in K1. I use ambience setting a lot because it brings aery feeling to the voice. This compensates the lack of soundboard in digital piano. I think there should be the ambience setting in every piano to give more voice parameter choice. (Some of the room size parameter choices may give a bit similar results...)

In some pianos there is amp button to raise the voice power. This amp button should be in every piano to give more "edge" to the voice. (Obviously you get quite similar results simply by raising the volume)

String and pad patch want is added like Synthogy's Ivory.
Pianoteq 5 versions are expected really.

I am getting messages that there are new posts,  but this thread was last updated 2 days ago.
Did the forum crash and have to be reloaded from back-up ?

until 5 is released, or further updates on its progress from modartt, there is really nothing left for anybody to say. except endless speculation. its certainly not from a lack of interest looking at the number of views for this post. i certainly cannot wait for it to arrive. i just wish it was sooner rather than later !

I guess (somehow I hope) it's late for any request for the RC, but, still, I'll try.

Could you include for all the instruments in V5 at leas one preset conceived for a binatural output ?
I've got Pianoteq Stage and I won't consider buying the full version for the moment, so I can't set any FXP by myself, but, still, 99% of the time, I actually use PTQ with my headphones and without any purpose of recording.
I would then like to use more extensively the "binatural output" feature... but on some instruments (D4 daily, Bluethner Model One...) it sounds almost like a mono signal (I don't know where the heck the mikes are placed, but it doesn't sound binatural at all to me !)... and I don't want to restrain myself to play U4 and Erard Binatural  forever in order to have a decent binatural sound !!

>but on some instruments (D4 daily, Bluethner Model One...) it sounds almost like a mono signal (I don't know where the heck the mikes are placed, but it doesn't sound binatural at all to me !)

God yes, just wanted to second this exact same thing. There's only a handful of presets in Stage that are actually usable with headphones.

This wouldn't be a lot of code either, but it would probably help to sell more copies of pianoteq if ALL the product promises would be kept.

In particular, quote;
[1] Optional add-ons are sold separately and can be loaded in any Pianoteq version.
[2] In PIANOTEQ Stage, preset loading is limited to parameters that are present in the interface. Presets built with PIANOTEQ PRO can be loaded in PIANOTEQ Standard without limitation.
[3] PIANOTEQ PRO lets you edit 26 parameters for each note on your keyboard. In PIANOTEQ Standard, you can explore this feature with the volume and the detune parameter.
[4] Internal computation goes up to 192 kHz in the PRO version.

The statement; "Presets built with PIANOTEQ PRO can be loaded in PIANOTEQ Standard without limitation."  isn't true.
It sets the expectation that any/all of the fxp files that users have contributed to the forum can be downloaded and played on Standard.
If the preset built in PRO has been built starting from an optional instrument (e.g. U4), then that optional instrument (in this case U4), is also needed in PIANOTEQ Standard in order to play it "without limitation".

Last edited by tractor_music (14-04-2014 15:03)

tractor_music wrote:

The statement; "Presets built with PIANOTEQ PRO can be loaded in PIANOTEQ Standard without limitation."  isn't true.
It sets the expectation that any/all of the fxp files that users have contributed to the forum can be downloaded and played on Standard.

I think that the stage version can load any preset made in the pro version, but you just can not edit all the parameters. After all, the 3 versions share the same factory presets, or am I wrong?

tractor_music wrote:

If the preset built in PRO has been built starting from an optional instrument (e.g. U4), then that optional instrument (in this case U4), is also needed in PIANOTEQ Standard in order to play it "without limitation".

Ok, but that's normal after all

tractor_music wrote:

You are right, the initial statement probably could be worded better to exclude presets built using an optional "must be purchased" piano.

However, I think it is unreasonable to expect to purchase the Stage product and expect to load every preset built with any and all optional pianos and run it smoothly within the Stage product. 

Remember, businesses need to profit from their effort or they eventually stop making that effort.

ddascher wrote:
tractor_music wrote:

You are right, the initial statement probably could be worded better to exclude presets built using an optional "must be purchased" piano.

However, I think it is unreasonable to expect to purchase the Stage product and expect to load every preset built with any and all optional pianos and run it smoothly within the Stage product. 

Remember, businesses need to profit from their effort or they eventually stop making that effort.

The statement that I pointed out does not address the STAGE version, but the STANDARD version.
"Without limitation"  means exactly that, ergo the statement is false.

I did not address the need to make profit in order to stay in business, it is too obvious to even mention, but in any case not germane to what I had written.

In my own business I would consider the business risk of untrue product claims to be VERY HIGH.
I take care to not overstate what I will deliver and I expect others to do the same.
Where they HAVE overstated I think they should deliver to their statement.

The preset IS "loaded" without limitation (meaning none of the parameters from the PRO preset are 'lost' in the STANDARD preset).   However, that doesn't mean that optionally purchased target instrument should now be 'free' to you because you loaded a preset.      This does not trickle down to the STAGE version, in which presets using parameters that aren't exposed the STAGE UI aren't 'loaded' (and therefore cannot be used without limitation).

The subject of the "without limitation" clause pertains to the loading of the preset, not the instrument.         At least, that is the way I read it.   

Peace,

D

Last edited by midiotlv (14-04-2014 22:55)

midiotlv wrote:

The preset IS "loaded" without limitation (meaning none of the parameters from the PRO preset are 'lost' in the standard preset.   However, that doesn't mean that optionally purchased target instrument should now be 'free' to you because you loaded a preset.

The subject of the "without limitation" clause pertains to the loading of the preset, not the instrument.         At least, that is the way I read it.   

Peace,

D

That is certainly a creative interpretation, but I doubt that Modartt would have DELIBERATELY worded it to create an impression that they could be loaded and be useful if they knew that they could just be loaded and be useless.

I believe the wording reflects that it was the INTENT to make any fxp file PLAYABLE by PIANOTEQ STANDARD.

This may be a recent limitation (bug), I probably have a V3.something that I can backgrade to and test.   
If/when I find time for it...
I know I have a V2.x

I don't think I'm being creative, really.    The entire bullet-point has to do with the handling of preset loading.

[2] In PIANOTEQ Stage, preset loading is limited to parameters that are present in the interface. Presets built with PIANOTEQ PRO can be loaded in PIANOTEQ Standard without limitation.

So in the first sentence, the 'limiter' is defined as a set of parameters that will not be loaded into the Stage version (only the parameters that the stage UI exposes are loaded).    In the second sentence, they state that no such 'limiter' exists (even if the UI controls aren't present in the Standard version, the preset loaded into the Standard version (from the PRO version) will make use of the PRO adjustments).     

With respect, what is creative is a guess at Modartt's intent.  They never state that an instrument preset file is playable anywhere (where in that bullet-point does it say that?).    The scope of the statement (and the limiter they reference) has to do with parameters.

If your interpretation was correct, then Modartt could never control the distribution of purchasable instruments. It would be completely legal for me to make a copy of each preset that comes with that purchased instrument and freely share them with other PTQ users.   Therefore, why would anyone have to purchase the instrument add-on when I could just get a copy of a preset from another user?  None of that makes any business sense, and I don't think their statement (above) makes any false statements.

I don't see anything at all misleading about Modartt's statement.

Using Standard it *is* in fact possible to load all presets without restriction *including* presets based on demo instruments you don't own.

If you don't own the instrument then playing the preset has the normal demo restrictions - 20 minutes and some keys missing. That demo restriction is also clearly documented and has nothing to do with any restrictions on loading presets.

It simply would never have occurred to me to read the statement as implying I can get unlimited access to optional instruments by loading presets.

spfenwick wrote:

I have to agree with you here.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

delt wrote:
spfenwick wrote:

I have to agree with you here.

I agree too.

I don't think it's misleading either.

Will PT 5 require more CPU resource than 4.5 does? Due to current the model enhancement?

And by the way, in you opinion what is the comfort spec for current version, I mean with no trade-off of any kind....

Last edited by thiducha (15-04-2014 12:26)

You should be fine with any modern quadcore CPU.

Hard work and guts!

God yes, just wanted to second this exact same thing. There's only a handful of presets in Stage that are actually usable with headphones.

Alllez, soyez gentils, les gars de Modartt.
Il n'y a rien à coder, juste à rendre disponible un petit preset par instrument pensé pour nous "Stagiaires" equpés de casque. Je suis sûr que vous nous aimez bien, nous les Stagiaires.

Svouplaîîîîîîît !

This is a good new !

So that

1. i will keep Pianoteq v4.2 for existing sequences,
2. deinstall Pianoteq v4.5 for some new ones
3. installing v5

so that there will be no possible VST plugin conflicts in the future.

The algorythm resonance has changed between v4.2 and v4.5 and makes sounds "darker".

Please , in the future, don't change anything in the modelling into ONE version number ( i.e. v5.0... v5.2... v5.5... ) so that sequences using v 5.5 will sound exactly, absolutly the same as in v 5.0

This is very important for musicians, and sequences into Cubase / ....

Ondist and Thereminist concertist and composer
Ondes Martenot, Ondéa, Thérémin, player, composer
Messiaen's Turangalîla-Symphony in Cubase with 10 VSTi (including 4 instances of Pianoteq)

v4.5 sounds better than v4.2, I would keep it rather than 4.2.

The whole purpose of updates is improving the sound, so I wouldn't expect Modartt NOT to change their modeling quality in .x updates.

Last edited by EvilDragon (16-04-2014 13:45)
Hard work and guts!

cslevine wrote:

This is a good new !

So that

1. i will keep Pianoteq v4.2 for existing sequences,
2. deinstall Pianoteq v4.5 for some new ones
3. installing v5

so that there will be no possible VST plugin conflicts in the future.

The algorythm resonance has changed between v4.2 and v4.5 and makes sounds "darker".

Please , in the future, don't change anything in the modelling into ONE version number ( i.e. v5.0... v5.2... v5.5... ) so that sequences using v 5.5 will sound exactly, absolutly the same as in v 5.0

This is very important for musicians, and sequences into Cubase / ....

The first time I launched 4.5, the sound seemed different and it made me worry. But after few tweaks i found that new model is much-much better. Now i hear it, when compare old (4.2) and new recordings. Much more realistic. Though even today, when we all wait for PT5, I worry: what it will be, how the sound will change and etc.
I clearly understand your thought: one version must sound in one way, and new patches - only to repair bugs. It is reasonable in some way, but in the other hand you can just install 4.2 and not patch it. As a lot of people highly appreciated 4.5 changes.

Last edited by Kridlatec (16-04-2014 16:51)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

It's just impossible to please everyone everytime in everything !!!!

All upgrade change will get some few noise from someone, even that the change improve the sound to get more natural than ever before, cause taste it's very subjective, and some characteristic even than not natural, can get someone's taste in some aspect, for some model, or for some tweak in settings.

That's why the upgrades needs to be judged a a whole. In that matter pianoteq have being very satisfatory.

I am new to pianoteq (2 months). The 4.5 is the only one version I have tried.
For those who have experienced changes in versions, did you have to change something in your velocity curve in order to have the best of the new version?

stamkorg wrote:

I am new to pianoteq (2 months). The 4.5 is the only one version I have tried.
For those who have experienced changes in versions, did you have to change something in your velocity curve in order to have the best of the new version?

That's a good question.  [I continue to struggle finding my velocity curve.] 

Although velocity curves are not separated by versions like the FXP files; so I would assume velocity curves are independent of version.

Now that the velocity curve thingy has come up again ...

I am reminded of my puzzlement with that concept as it has been implemented within Pianoteq.

It was my understanding that a velocity curve is included as a modifiable parameter to enable users to adjust the reaction of the software to the midi-signals being sent from the digital piano.   Some pianos you have to beat on to get to FFFF and others not so much, etc ...

That would lead me to believe that once you have determined the velocity curve that best fits your digital piano, you would not need to modify it further regardless of which Pianoteq preset you select. 

However, in Pianoteq the velocity curve can be changed for each and every preset and in fact, a number of the presets included a modified velocity curve (presumably for the purpose of creating the desired effect for that preset).

This has and still does not make any sense to me.

That is one item I would change if I could.

Last edited by ddascher (16-04-2014 23:27)

I agree, it should generally go along with One's keyboard(s).
I've never found it to be a hassle, just save the velocity curve under a chosen name and switch to it when changing instruments. 
I don't gig, so I don't have a need to do things like change instrument voices between verses and choruses, but I can see the inconvenience to people who do.

ddascher wrote:

Now that the velocity curve thingy has come up again ...

I am reminded of my puzzlement with that concept as it has been implemented within Pianoteq.

It was my understanding that a velocity curve is included as a modifiable parameter to enable users to adjust the reaction of the software to the midi-signals being sent from the digital piano.   Some pianos you have to beat on to get to FFFF and others not so much, etc ...

That would lead me to believe that once you have determined the velocity curve that best fits your digital piano, you would not need to modify it further regardless of which Pianoteq preset you select. 

However, in Pianoteq the velocity curve can be changed for each and every preset and in fact, a number of the presets included a modified velocity curve (presumably for the purpose of creating the desired effect for that preset).

This has and still does not make any sense to me.

That is one item I would change if I could.

tractor_music wrote:

I agree, it should generally go along with One's keyboard(s).
I've never found it to be a hassle, just save the velocity curve under a chosen name and switch to it when changing instruments. 
I don't gig, so I don't have a need to do things like change instrument voices between verses and choruses, but I can see the inconvenience to people who do.

I don't find it to be a problem.   It is just odd that it was designed in that manner.

Well, you can always freeze the velocity curve so that it doesn't change when you switch presets...

Various presets can usually have different values for the Dynamics slider, and this also has quite an impact on how loud the sound can get. Old pianofortes didn't have nearly as much dynamics as modern grands, for example. Harpsichords didn't have ANY dynamics whatsoever, etc. But again, you can set this to a fixed value that you find works with your velocity curve and freeze it so it's the same for all presets.

Last edited by EvilDragon (17-04-2014 09:49)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Well, you can always freeze the velocity curve so that it doesn't change when you switch presets...

Various presets can usually have different values for the Dynamics slider, and this also has quite an impact on how loud the sound can get. Old pianofortes didn't have nearly as much dynamics as modern grands, for example. Harpsichords didn't have ANY dynamics whatsoever, etc. But again, you can set this to a fixed value that you find works with your velocity curve and freeze it so it's the same for all presets.

Yes.  I am aware of the "freeze" option.  Truth is, I rarely fuss with any of that stuff anymore. 

I guess what I am bringing up (again) for is to see if that can either be changed to a single velocity curve concept or an explanation of why it needs to be the way it is for whatever reason (hopefully, one that makes sense).

Hello, I bought Pianoteq for the version 4.5, before the sound wasn't realistic for my ear.

EvilDragon wrote:

But again, you can set this to a fixed value that you find works with your velocity curve and freeze it so it's the same for all presets.

How can we freeze some parameters in Pianoteq ?

Last edited by Lylo (18-04-2014 16:10)

Dans le menu, "Gel des paramètres"

Lylo wrote:

Hello, I bought Pianoteq for the version 4.5, before the sound wasn't realistic for my ear.

EvilDragon wrote:

But again, you can set this to a fixed value that you find works with your velocity curve and freeze it so it's the same for all presets.

How can we freeze some parameters in Pianoteq ?

There is a little checkmark (to the left of Random) on the top portion of the main form of Pianoteq.  Click on that.

Merci stamkorg, en français c'est plus simple à lire pour moi.

Thanks ddascher, I see the checkmark, I understand it's really easy.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
lowendtheory wrote:

Is the YC5 totally rebuilt from the ground up as a V5 model, or is it a simple import? I ask this because the YC5 sounds dated in V4. I can hear its V2ness shining through with unrefined L-mode simulation and incredible sustain with zero unison.

Are the V4 models reworked, rebuilt, or simply imported?

The YC5 is totally rebuilt from the ground up as a V5 model. The other V4 models are somewhere between rebuilt and reworked.

I was wondering if the instruments on KIvR (or at least, some of them) are going to be reworked ou rebuilt or in any way take advantage of the progress made in V5.

Most notably, the current KIvR Pianos and Fortepianos are already showing a certain... obsolescence in regard to the V4.5 instruments. They will sound even more artificial in regard to V5 instruments, especially - I guess - if we compare them with their younger brothers of the Kremsegg Museum.

Ok, I know that we will have 8 brand new "old" pianos, but it was my understanding that the KIvR project was about the "virtual restauration" of old instruments in their singularities - and our Pleyel 1922, Bech 1986 and Erard 1922 should deserve the same full attention and care that is used with their Austrian brothers ; I'm afraid, on the contrary, that they will be left behind, then missing the whole point of KIvR...

Last edited by Xain (20-04-2014 11:51)

Hello, I think to a very important question !!!!
Pianoteq 5 will open always with Windows XP ?

The algorithms for soundboard and strings in V5 are new, so even they had not reworked the model very much (and they at least reworked or rebuild) the all piano model will get at least some improvement, I presume.

The Walter pianoforte was very good already.
The problem was the Kivir pianos that were closer to a modern piano. Something, some component of modern piano makes the modelling more difficult.

lowendtheory wrote:

I was wondering if the instruments on KIvR (or at least, some of them) are going to be reworked ou rebuilt or in any way take advantage of the progress made in V5.

Most notably, the current KIvR Pianos and Fortepianos are already showing a certain... obsolescence in regard to the V4.5 instruments. They will sound even more artificial in regard to V5 instruments, especially - I guess - if we compare them with their younger brothers of the Kremsegg Museum.

Ok, I know that we will have 8 brand new "old" pianos, but it was my understanding that the KIvR project was about the "virtual restauration" of old instruments in their singularities - and our Pleyel 1922, Bech 1986 and Erard 1922 should deserve the same full attention and care that is used with their Austrian brothers ; I'm afraid, on the contrary, that they will be left behind, then missing the whole point of KIvR...

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-04-2014 13:33)

Xain wrote:
lowendtheory wrote:

Is the YC5 totally rebuilt from the ground up as a V5 model, or is it a simple import? I ask this because the YC5 sounds dated in V4. I can hear its V2ness shining through with unrefined L-mode simulation and incredible sustain with zero unison.

Are the V4 models reworked, rebuilt, or simply imported?

The YC5 is totally rebuilt from the ground up as a V5 model. The other V4 models are somewhere between rebuilt and reworked.

The KIViR instruments are going to be reworked/rebuilt too. Actually we have already starded working on them and we hope being able to start the beta tests during this summer. As you might guess, there is a lot of work involved here too and time is needed for serious work.

Lylo wrote:

Hello, I think to a very important question !!!!
Pianoteq 5 will open always with Windows XP ?

Yes, what OS will it work on. I'm using Windows 7.

The KIViR instruments are going to be reworked/rebuilt too. Actually we have already started working on them and we hope being able to start the beta tests during this summer. As you might guess, there is a lot of work involved here too and time is needed for serious work.

... que du bonheur !

Et ben, bon courage pour la tâche titanique !

no problem with XP

njaremko wrote:

You're guaranteed free upgrades for 1 year after purchase.

Is this confirmed btw ?

Now, I imagine one asking, since Pianoteq has 127 non-zero note-on velocities whether is it possible to have 127 gradations of volume in Pianoteq.  I suppose the answer is that it is possible for this to be true, but I know of no person of any time period who was able to reproduce 120+ gradations in touch.

I understand what you mean, but I would like to add the opposite truth:

Let's ask someone to play 127 notes with the SAME volume, for example mp, on a piano and make a recording to analyse the result. Depending on the accuracy of the measurements I think another truth is that no person of any time period will be able to reproduce the *same* volume 127 times.

:-)

Just an idea/request for a new instrument we don't have yet in Pianoteq:

a toy piano!

for example one of these but a cheapo "made in china" (no offense meant) model would be nice too.

Regarding the 127 steps, even though humans can't play with that level of dexterity (I suspect), if an instrument that is being controlled with those 127 steps produces noticable changes in volume and/or timbre between each individual step, then IMHO it could make sense to make every step available to the musician. The results will be audible, even though they are not completely deterministic. (i.e, every performance will sound a bit different, no matter how hard the player tries to make them sound the same).  It then comes down to whether that element of randomness is desirable or undesirable.  An example is the jaw harp - IMHO the randomness of that instrument is HIGHLY DESIRABLE. ;^)

Greg.

Xain wrote:
njaremko wrote:

You're guaranteed free upgrades for 1 year after purchase.

Is this confirmed btw ?

I bought V2 as an old retail stock item for a substantial discount, within minutes of registering it I was able to upgrade to V4.  The 1 year period appears to start from when you first REGISTER the product.

I don't know the full upgrade history, but it is my understanding that upgrades were free without limit until V4, i.e. from V1 to V3 upgrades were free no matter how long you had used it.
The upgrade to V4 was the first upgrade for which a fee was charged and I think that is when the 1 year time limit was introduced - - something like 29Euros and I think a bundled freebie may have been included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h7_iOweG_U

1:40 "The major work for v5 is that we've improved the physical model."

That's all that really matters. To me, at least. I got v4, but I'm still using v3. It's simply more lush and full, even when comparing the same instrument (C3 for example).