Topic: A few questions about string length

I was wondering if Modartt could answer some uncertainties regarding string length in Pianoteq.

From what I understand, "String Length" controls a superfunction that basically goes something like, "Align the overtones of the string with respect to length calculation components u, v, w, x, y, z, and a..." and so on, without changing the diameter/wrap configuration itself. So, as I iterated before, if you want to hear a short string speak periodically, look no further. However, I would like a more in-depth explanation into what it defines; specifically, whether or not the physical length of the string changes, or merely its periodicity. Second, which string's speaking length defines the baseline parameter (length of lowest string?). And, finally, whether string length defines the whole piano or its speaking length.

Re: A few questions about string length

The string length parameter is a bit tricky because in the Pro version it can be adjusted note per note. So the exact meaning of the string length parameter is "provides the strings that belong to a piano having that length". Apart this tricky aspect, it does what it is supposed to do: it changes the physical string length.

One of the main effects of the string length parameter is to modify the inharmonicity (IH). IH depends on length, diameter and tension, and it is adjusted for each particular Pianoteq instrument, when used with its default settings, in order to match the acoustic piano that has served as model.