Topic: Sound card with multiple outs and Pianoteq?

I want to eventually experiment, but I hesitate. Apparently one must be careful in selecting the sound card, since some appear to send the same signal out, but as balanced and unbalanced.

May I ask for people's experiences with specific makes and models? One that has come up is the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.  ( http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-inter...arlett-6i6 )

Any experience with this one or others? General advice?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (26-07-2013 00:19)

Re: Sound card with multiple outs and Pianoteq?

I have a Focusrite 18i6, much the same model except more inputs, and it's routing capabilities are all right: each output can be assigned individually to anything you want. Only restriction: the 6 outputs are different: stereo balanced analog (monitor) on 2 TRS jacks, stereo unbalanced analog (headphones) on a stereo jack, and a stereo digital (S/PDIF coaxial). So you need at least another DA converter with an S/PDIF input and you have to make the appropriate cabling to get your 6 channels. Otherwise, it's a very good interface. But maybe you'd want to investigate further to find another one with individual, but identical outputs...

Well, I'm a little confused by the different outputs. I worry that since they are different kinds of outs, they send out the same sounds from different channels.

I'm simply wanting to set things up so that (1) on the Pianoteq mics page, each mic is sent to a separate out or to pairs of outs, and (2) each monitor then receives only the signals from those separate mics.

Pianoteq seems to be set up to do this, but many of the sound cards with multiple outs seem instead to be focused on having several methods of sending out the same stereo signal.

Regarding the Focusrite I confirm 100% that you can assign a separate, individual signal to each output. As I wrote though, the physical specs of each pair are different, so the cabling aspect can be challenging, including the necessity to get a S/PDIF DA converter...
Most MOTU interfaces will do the same, (I have the 896) but here it's the software part that can be tricky: their "Cuemix" is far from being simple... You have to create several mixes and assign them to the different outputs, but when it's done (and saved!), you're OK. With Focusrite it's a simple matter of choosing this or this DAW output (= Pianoteq output) and route it to each physical output and it's done.
Needless to say, you need ASIO...
About Tascam: no need to look at their interfaces, you won't find more than 4 individual outs.
About Presonus: only the 1818 VSL should do the job, but the caveat is the same as for MOTU.

Edit: about the Focursrite 6i6, there is a major difference with mine: the 4  line ouputs are identical to the 2 headphone outputs, but there is still the S/PDIF that should act as "5-6".

Last edited by Luc Henrion (27-07-2013 15:32)

With the remaining functionality of my dying EMU0404USB with spdif in/out the 6i6 seems to bring an ideal configuration.

NI Komplete Audio6 comes to mind, with practically the same features as the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.

With the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 I have read, that this cannot be used for direct monitoring without SW, if I undertood this correctly. Would be a real limitation, when I want to use my internal DP sound over my Genelec monitors (alone or as a mix with the CA65 internal sound. )

Another aspect: with my EMU0404USB I made the experience (very definitievely) that output over 192kb makes an audibly much more detailed sound than over 48 or even 96kb. (And I have Pianoteq standard with 48kb sound processing only, but this observation was equally valid for VintageD or even any better sound output from players - like Czesky Rhozlas D-Dur, a radio with FLAC (! with VLC player).

Might be the EMU is suboptimal with lower than highest bitrate handling, and with better AI it is a non-issue, otherwise I would like to have an AI with 192 kb/sec capabilities.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Temperament (28-07-2013 17:58)

In the spirit of looking over some of the possibilities, yesterday, I ran across the Apogee Quartet sound card.  Six balanced outs. Four inputs. But expensive: Over $1200 US. Below are links to two positive reviews:

The SOS review:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov12/a...uartet.htm

The American Songwriter review: http://www.americansongwriter.com/2013/...top-audio/

Looks good, but I'm still leaning towards the Focusrite 6i6. Largely because it's 1K less expensive. But are there other cards that are closer to the Focusrite in price while still offering multiple outs that can send different signals?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (29-07-2013 17:00)

The aforementioned NI Komplete Audio 6

Very similar capabilities, but only 1 MIC out, but  can be switched between 1&2 or 3&4 lineOuts (on the Focusrite always mirrored HP1 to 1&2 and HP2 to 3&4)

Last edited by Temperament (29-07-2013 19:27)

I have now the 6i6 for about a week, it compares to the EMU0404USB just OK sound-wise.

(The EMU had a smoother and at the same time bigger sound. But after the initial disappointment
playability with PT seems now is favoring the 6i6 .)

I have tried to use PT Recording with 5 mics & Stereo Speaker outs (one the Genelecs and the second of the CA65 inputs) - but got no better results than with a stereo out to both sound systems.

But I need definitely more time to make more experiments.

Last edited by Temperament (20-09-2013 17:56)

I'm looking forward to learning about what you try. I imagine delaying each mic slightly differently, along with moving the physical monitors, would give you a lot of variations. (You are of course turning off the Level and Delay compensations on the left side of the Mics page?)

The terrible thing about writing about these experiments is that we cannot hear your results.