Topic: pianoteq vs ivory vs akoustic piano, etc

hi,
i looking to get the best sounding virtual piano i can find for my studio.  i am not a piano player myself so its a little hard for me to judge myself.
i was wondering if anyone had used any of the competitors as well and what there opinion was. 
are there any problems i need to be aware of as far as functionality and compatability? i realize that most the others have large sample sets and require HD space.  that is not an issue.  feel, sound quality, system demands and smooth sailing are my primary concerns.

cheers,
dean

Re: pianoteq vs ivory vs akoustic piano, etc

my experience with sample based software is the abilitiy to express yourself (with the velocity) this is why I chose pianoteq smooth transition . I own plenty of sample based pianos not Ivory. but when I listen to these pianos they sound good for certain styles and others not. Pianoteq may have a couple of short comings (not major) . but the ablitiy to express yourself out weighs all. For the first time I dont feel the need to purchase anymore piano programs just wait for the upgrades with pianoteq . each upgrade pushes pianoteq to the top

well done pianoteq passion for playing at last

one other thing if you do like the sound of a sample piano just overlay pianoteq with it and wow yourself

SRR: You might not get the exact answer you're looking for here, you do realise that? No offense to anyone, but pianoteq forums are filled with people who love pianoteq (me included!)

Having said that, here is my opinion:

I bought Ivory more than a year ago and it sounded great. Then I found pianoteq and haven't looked back. Honestly. Playing is COMPLETELY different and much better. Sound (I think) Ivory is 1-2% better in terms of realism, but the so many different aspects of pianoteq and the advantages beat anything else out there, hands down!

It's easy and fast to load and won't cripple your RAM
No velocity layers, it just reacts... like a piano
Resonance
Tiny size

In the end, just download the trial and see how it feels and how it sits on your mixes in the end. It may, very well be, that in orchestral music you might prefer... Akoustik, or Ivory, or Gallaxy, or whichever piano. But for a piano players, pianoteq feels... well, better!

I think the best way to look at this question is to take the piano that sounds best to your ears.      Personally I like the way that Pianoteq feels from a playing perspective.  It feels very expressive, it has a variety of subtle playing characteristics that you can't get in sampled pianos.     A real piano never sounds quite as clean as a sampled piano.    There is always a rich and complex interplay of string and sound board resonance.       Pianoteq is the only software that will allow you to mix in those features to your taste.   You can get a really clean sounding "perfect" piano and you can also get a piano with subtle tuning differences and sloppy resonance.    So, from a producer/recorder perspective, it is a very valuable tool.     You must be able to tweak your pianos to taste for a particular recording.    Abbey Road studios is a studio famous for recording "less than perfect" sounding pianos in order to get that organic feeling.    If you listen to a Sarah Maclaughlin album you often hear upright pianos with less than perfect tunings.        Pianoteq is the only software that can give you a perfect piano AND a piano that has that "old-basement-jam-session" feel.

If you don't have the luxury of having several grands and uprights that you can mic to taste, get Pianoteq.         If you are really interested in doing some homework.  Go to http://www.solopianoradio.com/     Listen to some real pianos and then listen to pianoteq along side.

Another good resource if you're checking out piano sounds (but not how they 'play') is http://purgatorycreek.com/documents/25.html

I've noticed that Pianoteq has a tendency to sound dull and synthetic when used in a mix with other instruments. I've tested this several times with various types of production. Somehow the subtle characteristics like sympathic resonance and hammer noise get lost in the music and you're left with a sound that's... for lack of a better word... plastic-y. Boosting the highs with a combination of EQ and hammer hardness emphasizes the artificial character even more.

When soloed, I prefer Pianoteq over the competition, but I'm having trouble getting a realistic pianosound in a mix. I think that by creating presets that focus on more cutting/compressed sounds (think Bruce Hornsby/Jamiroquai/Gavin DeGraw/Vanessa Carlton) Pianoteq would win over musicians that still go for the gigabyte-hungry competitors.

Another idea is to give users the option of miking the virtual piano with different virtual microphones (transducers, PZM-mikes, Ribbon mikes, etc.) with the option to move mikes around.

sincerely; cinnamon

ranger wrote:

one other thing if you do like the sound of a sample piano just overlay pianoteq with it and wow yourself

To me it is an interesting idea to combine the good things of both worlds. However, I do not know how to overlay pianoteq with say Ivory. How can this be done? Thanks for the tip.

its not all that hard just use the basic sound of the sampled library with its vst (or what ever you use) open pianoteq adjust the volumes and eq and vel on pianoteq to sit on top of the sampled piano . the tricky part is the mix you need to hear the sampled libraries body. I would leave the sampled library in it raw form since it is limited on control also experiment with the presets on pianoteq. Also try adding reverb or IR on the sampled piano and keep pianoteq dry

enjoy

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I could not wait to try it out. After a while I figured I had to use V-STack. I had bought it for last years tests with Ivory. Sold the Ivory and the - PC that was loud because of fan, two hard disks (though they were inside a special insulation case, which I had added) and the stink from the warming mainboard.
OK, I will stop the abuse, but honestly ...

Amazing stuff !
==> Pianoteq crew, PLEASE, suggest this enhancement to everybody !
Overlaying two pianoteq pianos is THE thing :-)
Very important: Most PC's come with a - sound driver. Even the ASIO all was not convincing. Only when I used the Steinberg V-STack sound drivers (under: 'device setup'), I was amazed.
--> OK, latency is a real issue, if you do not have something like RME Fireface.
Most average people only have an average laptop, so they will not hear the good quality of pianoteq :-(.

I WAS absolutely blown away, when I used the V-STack sound drivers, using two different pianoteq virtual pianos at the same time. This helps greatly to make pianoteq sound pratically like a nantural piano.
I used concert grand and jazz grand + concert hall reverberateion + 2.5 hammer noise.
THIS is just what I want. I cannot wait until I get my RME Fireface and the small but powerfull barebone PC I am planning to buy, with a solid state disk instead of a spinning hard disk drive. No need for a huge PC droning away and stinking.

Many thanks.

go to FXP corner download the Modern bright studio grand you'll find this preset works great in a mix

Enjoy, And Your Welcome

"Modern bright studio grand"? Where is it ??? I'm interested too... ;-)

Hi there. I had to launch a google search too.
It's from here: http://www.pianoteq.com/fxpcorner
When I load it via the load instrument function under the 'file' button in a virtual instrument inside Steinberg V-STack, it only seems to load some settings, but not a whole instrument.

I think  I am supposed to load a jazz grand piano, for example, and then load these settings via the 'file' button.

==============

However, this morning, my ears have much adapted to the pianoteq sound and I am not so convinced as I was yesterday.
Especially with headphones -- I use a Sennheiser HD 595 -- you do not get that impressed after a while.

Of course, the composition of a sound is like the composition of a perfume:
It must be suggestive and stimulating, an illusion that is verging on perfection.
Of course, perfection is never to be found, even in good acoustic instruments.

What usually happens, when I listen to speakers, is that a virtual or sampled piano is beginning to sound like an organ or another wind instrument, like a flute.
It has mostly something to do with the beahviour of the speaker membrane, I guess.
The  best solution would then be to invent special speakers for virtual piano music.
I have seen on the KAWAI digital piano site that they are experimenting with real wooden soundboards to spread the sound of a specially designed set of speakers in the room. This gives a more natural sound. Unfortunately, there's nothing on the market for somebody who does not want a KAWAI intrument ( http://www.kawai.de/ca91_en.htm , Quote: "The first Digital Piano with a real wooden spruce sound board. The CA91 Concert Artist features Kawai’s revolutionary Sound Board Speaker System.").

So I am fiddling with pianoteq to get away from this annoying organ-like sound, which also occured at some stage with Ivory. Organ-like, or a sensation, as if you were listening to an engaged 4-foot register in a concert harpsichord (coupling the higher octave to every string). I suspect, something is getting weird with the overtone system.

Feature request 1: Overtone System:
Instead of letting the users adjust everything -- they should be able to choose, if they wish so, though -- the users should get different models of overtone systems naturally occuring in known pianos and historical fortepianos.

One trick is, to work on a good hammer-noise and the hammer brightness (voicing).
This can divert the ear from the organ-like sound. This may be only part of the story.

In short: I am not yet there and I suppose pianoteq or any virtual piano is not yet there either. I agree, pianoteq is quite something. What will follow is to take into account the whole stereo sound system, including speakers.

Feature request 2: Sound-Systems and especially speakers:
I would like to see a separate panel for optimal tuning to any given speaker system and a list of good speakers with their limitations listed. Maybe, sellers really must experiment with wooden soundboard membranes, if we want a realistic piano sound, following KAWAI's example.

The pianoteq developers have realized that many things depend on what kind of speakers you use: headphones or stereo speakers can be selected from the menu by clicking on the speaker or headphone icon.

Last edited by Puck01 (07-12-2007 13:50)

Well I agree painoteq is all I need but sometimes for added flair I use extra sampled sound the end result is the passion isnt it

good people in this forum

http://www.pianoteq.com/fxpcorner

fifth down on your left

modern bright studio grand

thank you, I found it :-)