Topic: The High end and Low end

I'm currently playing with the demo version.  I really like the expressiveness.   I believe that Pianoteq is going to soon become the standard for software pianos, but you're not there yet.      Being able to infinitely tweak the sounds are great, but the problem is: you can't tweak the high sections without affecting the low sections.        Everytime I tweak the highs, it affects the lows in a negative way and vise versa.       

So, I'm not going to buy it yet.   I'm going to wait until this feature is added, since I believe that it is inevitable.      I know I'm not the first to notice this discrepancy.      The low keys are really quite gorgeous.   I'm really quite excited for the future of Pianoteq.   I think it is be the biggest player in Software pianos.    Keep up the good work, but don't be too proud to take criticism.

Phaedrus

Re: The High end and Low end

Hi Phaedrus,

Thanks for your input. We always welcome all kinds of constructive criticism, positive and negative.

The feature you mention is currently under development and will be introduced in a forthcoming pro version of Pianoteq.

Best regards,
Niclas

thephaedrus wrote:

Being able to infinitely tweak the sounds are great, but the problem is: you can't tweak the high sections without affecting the low sections.        Everytime I tweak the highs, it affects the lows in a negative way and vise versa.       

Phaedrus

get me on the list
but you can solve the problem with "workarounds"
use your imagination

Fogwall wrote:

Hi Phaedrus,

The feature you mention is currently under development and will be introduced in a forthcoming pro version of Pianoteq. 

Niclas

Thanks for the reply.  I was quite certain that you had already thought of it.  I'm glad to hear it.    I'd be happy to give feedback on the beta.     I'm really excited about Pianoteq.    I suspect it will soon be my mainstay piano.     I gig with B4, Atmosphere, Pro53, and EVP88.... and Pianoteq is next

Upon further investigation: I think the section that needs the most tweakability is the section between C4 (middle C) and C6.    Here's my suggestions:

1)   I've been able to get the ideal "velocity to hammer hardness" ratio for both the sections above C6 and Below C4.     However there is something about the overtones in the C4-C6 (we'll call it the "mids) section which get harsh and unpleasant and even 'twangy' when they hit Forte.     However if I take some of the juice from the high overtones to make the mids warmer, the nice crisp sound dissappears from the lows and highs.      I can get the mids to sound a bit better by adjusting the hammer hardness in Forte section, but then the other sections don't sound as nice.   

2) Finally, If the mids could be EQed separately and without affecting the sound of the hammers or the overtones.    I find the EQ doesn't seem to be a separate sound processor, but in fact, seem to be tied to the overtones.   Is this the case?

Below C4 sounds so rich and beautiful.   Above C6 the high notes sound so accurate with the sound board resonance when you hit the sustain pedal... and the hammer noise.   very sweet.

Did I miss something whats this Pro version of pianoteq

I don´t know which software you use but I have very good results with stacking two or three pianoteqs and so I can change overtones without effecting low or high registers. ( I´m glad my CPU can handle this) I also use Altiverb which has a Bösendorfer-Body as Reverb and created a pianosound I´never had before (except a real one). But I also would prefer more Parameters in the pianoteqsoftware which I told the pianoteq team and they said that they work on a pro version where you can change overton settings over several regions.

azrael4 wrote:

I don´t know which software you use but I have very good results with stacking two or three pianoteqs and so I can change overtones without effecting low or high registers. ( I´m glad my CPU can handle this)

... that's how it works, baby
but I'm glad, I don'T have to do it all the time. 1 PTQ with a little bit of tweaking sounds better than anything else I've played before..

What are people using to stack instances of PianoTeq? Cantabile? Will it let you play both instances at once, as if you are just playing a multi\preset? (Couldn't see how to do this in Cantabile lite.)

Are there vsti hosts, regardless, that let you see all of the interfaces at once, so you can have, say, three or four instances of Pianoteq loaded, with all 3 or 4 copies of the interface appearing on screen at once for editing?

Jake Johnson wrote:

What are people using to stack instances of PianoTeq? Cantabile? Will it let you play both instances at once, as if you are just playing a multi\preset? (Couldn't see how to do this in Cantabile lite.)

Are there vsti hosts, regardless, that let you see all of the interfaces at once, so you can have, say, three or four instances of Pianoteq loaded, with all 3 or 4 copies of the interface appearing on screen at once for editing?

There are products like V-STACK, Chainer, Brainspawn's FORTE or Receptor. (I'm using Receptor).

Jake Johnson wrote:

I do it in Steinberg NUENDO but if you want to play it live and change settings quickly, maby V-STACK would be better

I just discovered that Cantabile Lite works fine and lets you keep open all of the instances of the interface at once. Nice. Also free, so it's close to my heart. (The free version can hold up to 4 plug-ins, or for us, 4 instances of Pianoteq, with two instances in each rack. The full $25 version lets you load as many as your system can handle.)

At first, I couldn't get it set up to create splits across the keyboard for each instance of Pianoteq, but then I discovered that my settings in Pianoteq were off--I needed to have each instance sending to a different channel, of course. (Options menu\Midi\Channels.)

Does anyone know if the other, more expensive programs have features I'm missing in Cantabile?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (17-12-2007 05:57)

I'm playing with the demo of Plogue Bidule right now.   And so far it seems to have more features than Chainer, Console, and V-Stack.    I found V-stack to crash when toggling between midi channels.....which is the main feature I need for playing VSTs live.   I has a ton of features which I haven't tapped yet...  but probably a higher learning curve than V-stack.   It seems to be more dependable though.