Topic: Weird velocity problem with many MIDI keyboards

Hello
I just got a Doepfer PK88 MIDI keyboard, which I have a serious problem with.
The black keys reach higher velocity more easily than the white.
Or, you can say that it is very hard for white keys to reach high velocity.
You need to bang them VERY hard for this to take effect.
I can verify this by looking at Pianoteq's velocity window, which shows the red bars for each key.
When I play two whites with the same force, the bars are very close.
When I play a white and a black the results vary considerably.
More simply, when I play a piece, the black keys sound stands out!
The funny thing is that I searched the net for the problem, and found that besides Doepfer, most keyboard manufacturers seem to have this problem(Kurzweil,CME,Fatar).
I don't know what to do!
What are your thoughts on this?

Re: Weird velocity problem with many MIDI keyboards

Hi,

as the black and white keys have very different lever arms, they often come with a different relation of force applied and velocity achieved. In fact because of this some keyboards (like the Doepfer LMK4+ which I own) allow to separately adjust a "velocity reduction factor" for the black keys relative to the white ones. May be the PK88 has the same adjustment possibility and it's accidentally set to a wrong value?

Regards, Thomas

If you can't solve in any other way you can download the freeware program "PianoTuner". There you can set velocity curve for each key independently.

The PK88 does not have any editable parameters, neither a MIDI in, so I can't use the PianoTuner software that would solve the problem.
From what I understand, Fatar is responsible for this since they are the suppliers of keyboards for most companies.
I don't think the lever arms should be responsible for the problem, because one would expect for all keys to play the same.
Now, I have to send the keyboard back to Germany from Greece, which is a major hassle..

You don't have to have midi in to use PianoTuner. You just map the midi signal through PianoTuner and a software virtual midi port (MidiYoke) before reaching Pianoteq.

Midi Keyboard (PK88)-->Midi Interface in-->PianoTuner-->MidiYoke-->Pianoteq

Another vote for PianoTuner. A great program that sits between your midi keyboard and Pianoteq (or any other musc program), intercepting the midi velocities and converting them, for each key, to a different velocity scale that you select with a simple visual interface.

(It may take you a few minutes to set up, since you do have to download and install midi-yoke, but the little time that this takes is more than worth the effort. It will give you a new keyboard, with the exact velocity response that you want, since you can control every key individually.)

I have just checked my Fatar VMK 188 Plus, and it does not have this problem. (But it is not easy to repeat strikes consistently with velocity of >100 or <10).

Well, "PianoTuner" is the kind of feature that would be a blessing if integrated into PTQ itself. Just my 2 cents...
Oh, and just for those who still didn't find it:
http://users.belgacom.net/gc813607/index.html
;-)

I have a PK88 which works fine with Pianoteq.  It is particularly good with the Pianoteq velocity curve slightly depressed at middle velocities (similar to the Pianoteq preset "moderately fast keyboard").

I've been thinking that it would be even better if the Pianoteq mid treble notes were a little louder and, after reading this thread,  I'm planning to try "PianoTuner".  Thanks to others for posting info about this.

In my experience, there is a inherent design flaw in the fatar keyboards.  These fluctuations in velocity response can either just be the way the keyboard plays out of the box, or they can happen suddenly. It's happend to me with two kurzweil boards and one Studio Logic, and rendered them completely useless, until I fixed them. Some times a note wouldnt sound, other times notes played full volume only.  Sometimes it was just a unnerving unevenness in the response between adjacent keys.

You have a new board, so I don't know if they've changed the design.

If you have the patience and mechanical aptitude, this is what I ran into. The culprits are these rubberized strips that are only exposed if you remove the keybed, turn it over and unscrew the circuit board that covers them.  There is a set of 2 soft rubber cups that are assigned to each key. They fit  12 notes to a strip and are subdivided with a little space in the moulding into groups of 4. They can be pulled off, as they are secured simply by friction to the circuit board, with little rubber protrusions that are sort of squeezed in to these pre-drilled holes.
I've had them replaced professionally, (a pain, and not cheap), cleaned them and repositioned them myself, all with sucessful, but obviously not lasting results. Don't ask me why, but sometimes swapping  an offending contact to another key position has been the answer. You'll notice that some of strips of contacts have probably been cut into different denominations so as to fit the necessary number of keys. This can be done if you cut carefully in the neutral area between the pairs of cups.

I've been told that a microscopic piece of dust can make the difference. So with that in mind I actually tried standing the board on its end, and shook it back and forth hoping that whatever debris was in there would be dislodged by gravity.  It worked once!

I've done the actual repair myself 4 times on two different boards so I'm a little more secure opening them up.
Sorry to say this but if you're having these kinds of problems with a new keyboard you might consider not settling for a fix. You might want to insist on a replacement, or another brand entirely that doesn't have the fatar keybed.

On the positve side, evolutionary products like Pianoteq are sure to push the hardware makers to more exacting standards.

Hope some of that is helpful.

Ron Eddo wrote:

On the positve side, evolutionary products like Pianoteq are sure to push the hardware makers to more exacting standards.

That would be fine indeed, but I have my doubts. I am quite disappointed with my Fatar, resp. its uneven velocity response. It is very hard to play soft (nice pun, haha), and the wobbly action isn't the real McCoy either.

The only thing that would make them change their product strategies would be if people didn't buy a particular model. Or other vendors who build Fatar actions into their boards.

I am looking for a used P-80 (Yamaha, the one I use on stage). When I get one, the Fatar goes out of the window. Besides the inferior action, one time out of ten I have to switch in off-on again to get MIDI messages out of it. I have heard of others that their Fatar completely ceased working. Very nice before a gig!

Then there is that erratic pitch bend wheel which would always send messages around the middle notch. Small, random tune variations -- that's true "analog" behavior! Unfortunately, it can't be turned off...

And this is one of the top (sales numbers, not quality) makers of keyboard actions...

Hello,

my Clavia Nord Stage had a Fatar keyboard also but I never noticed any velocity problems (sometimes I watched PTQs velocity display to check the best settings). So this could be a pure Fatar problem. I dont know which sensors are used in the NS88, Fatar or Clavia.

BTW, I own a Kawai MP8II now, which has adaptable velocity settings, and even can be 'trained' to adapt to the individual playing habits of the user. I will try this and see how PTQ reacts.

Rainer

I returned the PK88. I don't know what to buy now. The Kawais seem good, but having onboard sounds(bad ones compared to Pianoteq), disturbs my minimalist nature!

alexPi wrote:

I returned the PK88. I don't know what to buy now. The Kawais seem good, but having onboard sounds(bad ones compared to Pianoteq), disturbs my minimalist nature!

I have a similar problem, but, when it comes time to buy a portable (not 40 kilo like my midiboard) weighted-action keyboard I imagine I'll just get a stage piano of some sort and ignore the onboard sounds. But it's certainly an insurance if the computer goes awry.

alexPi wrote:

The Kawais seem good, but having onboard sounds(bad ones compared to Pianoteq), disturbs my minimalist nature!

And it disturbs the budget since you pay a large amount for their sampling sessions!

I know what you're thinking...

You want a sturdy, precise and high-class piano-type controller without any crappy sampling onboard sounds, with 4 pedal inputs, all of them graded (just in case), a couple of faders, USB, IEC mains connector or USB bus power (no "wall wart"), a nice look, maybe integrated legs (like the Nord Stage has) and a built-in tray for the laptop.

I actually thought about building such a thing myself...

I would probably build this around a Yamaha keyboard as a starting point. One would need to assemble a custom pedal input controller (x4), and one would need someone who can precisely cut & bend sheet metal. Control faders/knobs could be realized by cannibalizing some existing MIDI fader box. Maybe one could also solder pedal jacks into a fader box instead of the faders. A MIDI output for the keyboard would exist, so one could use a "pocket merge" to join this and the fader box's output.

Crazy plan, eh?

One the one hand, it really makes me wonder this kind of thing does not exist. CME looks quite good, but there are reports of it being plastic crap with software problems, and where's the computer tray here? Where are the built-in legs? (The stand/support issue is a serious one if you think things to the end -- schlep, hassle, aesthetics etc.!) I think there would be quite a few potential buyers for such a thing.

Instead, they overstock the market with generations of stage pianos with limited possibilties. On the other hand, if this dreamboard existed, would you go buy a new Roland or whatsoever piano every five years? I bet not...

@ Rainer: Could you test if the Nord Stage does transmit halfway continuous MIDI velocities or if there are coarse jumps like 90-100-110-127? That's the way my Fatar/SL reacts, and that is crap pf course. Maybe it is a matter of electronics and not of the keyboard itself.

AlexPI wrote:

I don't know what to buy now

Just to point out that Hugh Sung (here http://www.pianoteq.com/reviews) mentions the Casio Privia series of keyboards on his blog here http://hughsung.com/blog/index.php?itemid=796. Also Google inside his blog for further mentions. These keyboards are sensibly (?) light for traveling with, and relatively inexpensive. Could be worth looking at (and into, I suppose).

hyper.real wrote:

Just to point out that Hugh Sung (here http://www.pianoteq.com/reviews) mentions the Casio Privia series of keyboards on his blog here http://hughsung.com/blog/index.php?itemid=796. Also Google inside his blog for further mentions. These keyboards are sensibly (?) light for traveling with, and relatively inexpensive. Could be worth looking at (and into, I suppose).

I played on one. Surprisingly solid keyboard action for the weight, but reaches the 127 too early. At least in default setting. Maybe it can be adjusted, but I did not get that far. Keyboard was a bit slow (friction?) after my fancy, but better than many that are too light or too wobbly and unfirm.

I played with a Yamaha CP33 which seems quite good.
It has a nice keyboard a little on the heavy side, and a 'master' button which bypasses the onboard sound and makes the instrument behave like a controller only.
I will test the Studiologic VMK188, and if it isn't satisfying, I will go with the Yamaha.

CP33: Seems it finally clicked with them. USB to host, half pedalling, 2nd pedal, Wheels. Not so radically new stuff altogether, and quite surprising how long it took them. USB-MIDI has been around for a while, let alone the wish for those really standard features like wheels etc.

And it still has an external power supply. That stupid thing has bugged me for 6 years now...

The Infinite Response foldable keyboard (AX-77) is planned to be lighter, smaller, to have 4 pedal inputs, an IEC connector and certainly some cool other features.

I'll wait for that. Small firms are often more innovative and customer-oriented than giants like Yamaha who often cling to "tried and true" (and limited) standards much longer than seems reasonable...

Apologies for pinging this thread 15 years later lol, but I have the exact same issue with my PK88 and it's driving me up the wall. This 'pianotuner' software doesn't have a Mac app, is there another midi calibration tool I can use to fine-tune each note's velocity response across multiple virtual instruments? Thanks

Sure is!

Take a look at VelPro at Springbeats: https://springbeats.com/velpro/.

Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

Sure is!

Take a look at VelPro at Springbeats: https://springbeats.com/velpro/.

Don't happen to know of a more recent velocity editor than PianoTuner? from what I can tell that program runs in a terminal window and the website looks quite sketchy

Unless I got the wrong website.
http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/midiutil/pianotun.htm

Nevermind, the one you linked is for windows also, assumed it was OSX

Last edited by SH4DOW (27-03-2024 21:15)