Topic: Release pedal resonance

Quoting from a post in Piano Forum

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I  I have a question about digital piano's. For me it's difficult to explain in English.

At the moment I play a piece by John Cage "In a landscape" You have to press the pedal and hold it from start till the end.

In the last bar you press a chord so soft that it makes no sound, you only lift the dampers. Then you release the pedal. So you hear the chord very soft by resonance from the previous bars. The result is subtile and very soft.
Is this effect possible on a digital piano ?

If you understand my question, please help me to describe it better.

At the moment I have a Korg SP100.
In the future I want to buy a new digitale piano with this possibility.

Peter van Dijk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I do not know which piece, I experimented with playing multiple chords holding the sustain pedal down and at the end played a base C chord silently and then released the pedal. I couldn't hear any resonance.  I tried the same experiment on my Kawai Grand accoustic and the resonance was really very clearly heard

Any comments
Thanks

Re: Release pedal resonance

is your pedal a switched pedal if so try a progressive pedal or get cme ppp-3 pedal it has 2 switched and 1 progressive

droah wrote:

Since I do not know which piece, I experimented with playing multiple chords holding the sustain pedal down and at the end played a base C chord silently and then released the pedal. I couldn't hear any resonance.
Thanks

You are perfectly right and this particular feature is currently not implemented. Not that it is impossible, but just that we found the ratio (CPU cost) / (importance of the need) too high.

To be complete, the sympathetic resonances that are currently implemented in Pianoteq are:
- when sustain is off, play a note: it will resonate in the imperfectly dampered strings (dampers never damp 100%, they are only a few centimeters felt) and in the upper undampered strings (C2 chamber and C2 concert). Particularly audible if you play staccato chords,
- when sustain is off, hold down a note (silently) and play another note: it will resonate in the silent note free (undampered) strings,
- when sustain is on, play a note: it will resonate in the full harp - the set of all strings, as long as sustain pedal is down; works also during repedaling,
- in both cases, play a note: it will resonate in the duplex scale, the set of short string parts located between the bridge and the frame. Particularly audible without sustain if you play staccato chords. Note that not all pianos have a duplex scale, which was invented and patented by Steinway in the 19th century. In many other pianos, these string parts are dampered with felt strips.