Topic: Missing simulation feature

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but being this a simulation tool trying to contemplate the several parts of the whole piano and it's mechanic, I noticed there's one key feature missing, which is the interaction between notes.

If you press and hold a key (or a whole bunch of them), wait until they are silent and then play another key in between or nearby those keys, they should ressonate from the new key being played like in a real piano, since the dampers would be lifted up.

Any commments?

Re: Missing simulation feature

and this is the way it works ! You'll hear it more evidently if you play pianissimo a chord in the high range and then playing a chord forte in the low range. Just like the real thing ;-)

Hmm...it should work, but it does not...I've tried holding keys with half my arm and playing another key like that, as if holdin the damper pedal down, which should make them all (those that are still pressed down) ressonate/vibrate, and the sound is the same  as if only the played key was pressed...

EDIT: My bad, I found it, it is the sympathetic resoance setting which was too low, increasing it more makes it clearly more audible.

Hi!

You can do some more precise experiments which show how nicely this feature actually works:

Turn symp. resonance up and:

1) Hold G4 as soft as you can, hit (stacatto) C4. You will hear G5: it is the 3rd overtone of C4 which is resonating with the 2nd overtone of the open G4 string.

2) Do the opposite: hold C4, hit G4. Again you will hear G5, but this time because the G4's 2nd overtone is exciting the 3rd overtone of C4.

3) *** This is a nice one: hold C4, hit A4 (i.e. a 6th above) - you should hear E6 - it is the 3rd overtone of A4 exciting the 5th overtone of C4.

4) Hold done C3, then play a fast glide from D3 upwards - you will all the resonating overtones (all resonating from the open C3): C4 G4 C5 E5 G5 ...

-- Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

This definitely works in PTQ (one of the main reasons PTQ was made as a math model, I'd say). As suggested here -- turn up the symp. resonance and listen. The default setting of this is a bit soft, compared to real acoustic pianos, but it's there. And adjustable to absurd values if you like to.