Topic: please comment on midi control keyboard choice

Dear PianoTeq Forum Users:

I will be heading into the land of PianoTeq soon, and the choice of keyboard and its 'feel' are important issues to me. I would appreciate comments from users on what they are using for their keyboard. Tending towards the Studiologic Numa myself, but being remote in New Mexico, it is hard to try one out in advance of purchase.

Customer service suggested that I start a thread on this important issue.

Most grateful,

Pete

Re: please comment on midi control keyboard choice

Hey Pete
Welcome here and good luck on the decision of jumping in to Pianoteq!
The choice and feel of a keyboard are always subject to discussion since they are a matter of taste and budget.
I myself did not have too high a budget at the time... However I compared a lot of keyboards in the shop when I was there - I finally decide to go for a CME UF80 keyboard - the feel was pretty much the same as a Kurzweil which I liked that was there at the time costing quite some more money.
I heard a lot of complaints about the CME and apart from having had software update problems (solved later by connecting an adapter while upgrading) there's nothing wrong with it.. at least so far .
But I think it will be best for you to spend a day to go to some music store with a collection of keyboards so you can compare... maybe a visit/holiday to a nearby state with a large music store?
The feel of a keyboard is so subjective that it's one of those things you can hardly judge by 'just' reading other opinions...
I think it also depends 'where you come from' - before this I was only used to my old DX7 keyboard - if you're used to an old upright piano, most available master keyboards might feel weak then while to me most felt pretty heavy....
Anyway - good luck!
cheers
Hans

Thank you for your note Hans. Your likely right in my needing to go to a major city music store and try out controllers. But I am grateful for your thoughts on the CME and would welcome other people's comments as well. The man-machine interface issues are so vital to feel that I am hoping for insight. I will certainly check out the CME UF80 per your recommendation.

Pete

I don't know if the following models are available in your neighbourhood, but if you want to have good action try:
- Kawai MP8-II (or the MP5)
- Doepfer PK88 (it holds a modified version of a Fatar keybed)

The first one (twice the price of the second one) has real wooden keys and is great as master controller keyboard. The second one is built into a flightcase and only has keys, so no controller knobs. It's meant to be used by artists on the road.

Some people advised me not to buy a CME because (and I've tried it) the action is really like "plastic" compared to the two ones listed above but it has also lighter keys and would therefore be more comfortable to keyboard players. Besides that the CME keyboard is not meant for the real heavy duty work. So it all depends on where you're going to use it and if you already have piano playing experience.

And, I agree with Hans, you just have to try it. It's all a matter of personal taste....and budget.

Cheers,
Herman

Last edited by hvaartsen (21-11-2009 23:23)

Thank you Herman---I will look into each model. As with Hans, this is good information for me.

Most grateful,

Pete

Also check out Akai's new MPK88.  I just got mine and it's incredible!  Rock solid construction, great action, weighted keys, tons of control features.

hi
I finally decide to go for the new CME UF80 keyboard ...it's a good keyboard..not disponible to PARIS ...<>15 days...
regards....alain

johnvos wrote:

Also check out Akai's new MPK88.  I just got mine and it's incredible!  Rock solid construction, great action, weighted keys, tons of control features.

Is it better than a Yamaha P120?

I'm also interested in MPK88 but the first reactions are not favorable.

The keys are very loud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqGC0wF-...re=related

but I don't mind this, I'm quite used to that "keyboard-drumming" from M-Audio keyboards and I don't expect anything better in that price range.

A bigger problem is that keyboard seems to be limited to a single continuous pedal which is probably enough for most pianists to start looking elsewhere. There are also reports on various forums that the keys are very "stiff", making it difficult to play certain types of music.

johnvos, can you please provide more information about your experience with MPK88? I am primarily interested in anything bad about the controller (the good stuff is available from their marketing website, you don't need to repeat that).

Those are not loud keys at all, man!

Hard work and guts!

IMHO, the Doepfer PK88 isn't worth it. The Fatar keybed it comes with is one of Fatar's lower end models. It's not graded, and judging by the diagram, it looks cheap. Despite what their website says about upgrades/options, it's only available as-is. (I asked and that's what they told me.)

I'd avoid the Studiologic Numa Nero. I got one and returned it because it was buggy and the MIDI info it sent was flawed when it came to rapid repeats. It also only has 2 pedal jacks, which is an insult to my intelligence at $1350.

I wouldn't buy anything CME after their nightmare GPP-3 pedal and zero customer support.

The Akai MPK88 is a much better alternative, having a full complement of 3 assignable pedal jacks (2 switch, 1 continuous), and a surprisingly good action. I didn't get to plug it in though, so I can't speak for it's performance!

If you want built-in sounds though, go with Yamaha's P155. Or have a look at the new Casio PX330--I haven't tried it yet but on paper it's a lot of bang for the buck.

Hmmm... I've got the PK88 keybed at home (to be built into a cabinet). And of course it holds plastic parts (which one doesn't). Upgrades are related to the electronics (made by Doepfer itself) now supporting for example USB connectivity. And yes, it's delivered as-is - core functionality, so no additional functionality, but they also had to consider the option to support through the years for broken parts and to deliver rock-solid stability.

And somewhere there's always an eastern company involved building parts of a keybed regardless of the brand ;-)

sthubertal wrote:

hi
I finally decide to go for the new CME UF80 keyboard ...it's a good keyboard..not disponible to PARIS ...<>15 days...
regards....alain

Alain, did you actually try it? I'm interested in this one for its Breath Controller Input, but it seems the opinions are divided on the UF-80. Of course I should try it myself, but it's hard to find a shop where it is on stock...

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

Hi Jope
I have had a UF80 since december 2007 and have not had problems with it. I also use the CME GPP3 pedal and don't have problems with that either. Maybe I have just been lucky so far.. no idea, because indeed you can read an awful lot of negative crits... but I do like the feel of the keyboard myself.... and love the pedals too.
I must say I have never tried the breath controller input - I will have to find my old Yamaha BC1 and see how and if that works. Will get back on that later!
cheers
Hans

creart wrote:

Hi Jope
I have had a UF80 since december 2007 and have not had problems with it. I also use the CME GPP3 pedal and don't have problems with that either. Maybe I have just been lucky so far.. no idea, because indeed you can read an awful lot of negative crits... but I do like the feel of the keyboard myself.... and love the pedals too.
I must say I have never tried the breath controller input - I will have to find my old Yamaha BC1 and see how and if that works. Will get back on that later!
cheers
Hans

Sounds good... And the BC1 is exactly what I use so any further information is higly appreciated!

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

Hey Jope
I did a short recording  ( a terribly slow jazzy like piece - just a couple of bars) in Logic with breath controlled sax (sax and bass from Garritan Jazz & BigBand - basic Rhodes PInaoteq)..
This was Yamaha BC1 connected to the UF80 - no extra settings there....

cheers
Hans

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...breath.mp3

Herman suggested the Doepfer PK88. One aspect that I like about it is its simplicity. The less software, the fewer bugs in my opinion. Besides a hardwired jumper or two, there is nothing to do but plug it in and play---how refreshing!

Besides Herman, anyone else have experience with this PK88 and its feel?

The Fatar keyboards in the Studiologic Numa may be a more recent design, but from what I keep hearing in different circles is that it is buggy as hell.

But then again release velocity seems to be missing on everything except the CME?

Pete

creart wrote:

Hey Jope
I did a short recording  ( a terribly slow jazzy like piece - just a couple of bars) in Logic with breath controlled sax (sax and bass from Garritan Jazz & BigBand - basic Rhodes PInaoteq)..
This was Yamaha BC1 connected to the UF80 - no extra settings there....

cheers
Hans

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...breath.mp3

Thanks a lot, Hans! If I don't find a shop to do some testing myself, I think I will order it somewhere. BTW do you know Mr. Sax T? Here's a short piece made with it (somewhat off-topic because it's without Pianoteq, but both PTQ and Mr.Sax T are good lively virtual instruments).

johnvos wrote:

How are you getting on with your MPK88 johnvos? Does it integrate well with pianoteq? can you play rapid repetitions on a single note? How does it compare to Yamaha keyboard actions? Finally, would you recommend it for pianoteq and why?

Hello Pete,

Regardless of which controller keyboard you finally decide to acquire, I would suggest that you buy the "best" 'board you can afford.  When I dove into the world of electronic music and MIDI controllers (with an extensive classical piano music background), I purchased a Roland A-80 back in 1990.  This keyboard has lasted me nearly 20 years -- playing nearly every day on it -- with zero operating/performance problems and zero repairs.

Now, I am not recommending this particular make and model per se, as this particular instrument is ancient by today's standards; besides, there are many great 'boards out there.  The point is that a well-built keyboard, made by a reputable manufacturer, that has the features YOU most desire ... should last a very long time for you.   Despite these tough economic times, if one goes strictly for the lowest price, or the lowest end, you will inevitably grow tired of it, and it will probably break prematurely, etc., etc. 

"Listen to your fingers."  It will be cheaper in the long run if you get something that will last you 10, 20 or more years.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe:

You are right on target with your comments, but I am still lacking a current production model that seems to be of that caliber. So far, the PK88 has the most appeal because of its rugged simplicity. The late model StudioLogic keyboards seems to have software issues. The CME does not seem to fit me.

And release velocity seems to be out of the realm of any of them. Frustrating! I never thought it would be so complicated to find a professional level keyboard.

Pete

Pete Myers wrote:

Hi Joe:

You are right on target with your comments, but I am still lacking a current production model that seems to be of that caliber. So far, the PK88 has the most appeal because of its rugged simplicity. The late model StudioLogic keyboards seems to have software issues. The CME does not seem to fit me.

And release velocity seems to be out of the realm of any of them. Frustrating! I never thought it would be so complicated to find a professional level keyboard.

Pete

The Akai MPK88 has very good reviews and is extremely ruggedly built. I personally like the yamaha NL2 action (Natural Wood in white keys) which does not have the same friction problems as the GH, GHE and GH3 Yamaha actions. I have a Yamaha P120S (which presently has the GHE action) and am going to put an NL2 action into it as well as the nescessary electronics for the damper sensor etc.. The dynamic range of yamahas keyboards are fantastic. you can get the full range on them! (0-127).

And the Yamaha NL2 action is in which product?

Pete

Pete Myers wrote:

And the Yamaha NL2 action is in which product?

Pete

The NL2 Natural Wood action is in the higher end CLP and CVP Yamaha digital pianos. I think it's also in the Yamaha Modus range?

Pete Myers wrote:

You are right on target with your comments, but I am still lacking a current production model that seems to be of that caliber. ....

Pete

Hello again Pete,

I wish to address your comment of being frustrated about the lack of release velocity in commercially available keyboards.  To my knowledge, the only instrument that sends release velocity other than a value of 127 is the Mark IV version of the Yamaha Disklavier piano.

Restated, I wouldn't worry too much about release velocity.  RL was included in the MIDI protocol in the early 1980's when companies Roland, Yamaha and Korg drew up the MIDI specification.  At the time, they included RL as a possibility for the future, but that possibility was not executed, to my knowledge.

Let's think about release velocity for a moment:
If, in a real or modeled grand piano, the string was already impacted by the hammer, then the string is freely vibrating/oscillating on its own.  The only two conditions that will cause a vibrating string to stop are the damper silencing it, or the vibration decays away naturally.  If one plays a staccato note, and presumably releases the note quickly, then the damper will come down by gravity -- this should already be addressed by high values of MIDI release velocity.

If, on the other hand, the notes are played very softly, then the strings' vibrational amplitudes are already lower than from a loud staccato attack, and even a "slow" release velocity (i.e., slowly falling damper) should not make all that much difference in the sound.  And besides, if you are playing a piece that is soft throughout, you can always modify the damper efficiency in Pianoteq.

Perhaps I am completely wrong about this, but here is what I believe: 
Release velocity sensitivity, taken as a whole -- or the lack of it in a keyboard -- should not be something to worry about in the grand scheme of acquiring a controller keyboard.  Or, at least, it should be given much less priority to the way the 'board responds to your touch, the evenness you are able to control velocity from 1 to 127, or the weight of the keys, or build quality, etc. etc.

Enough of my rambling,

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (29-11-2009 14:59)

Hi Joe:

Thank you for your comments.

The release velocity issue was recently discussed on the forum with a few comments on keyboards that worked (often vintage) and the impact on Pianoteq sound. It should also be noted that one of the chief selling points of the V-Piano is its release sound. The forum subject was:

Any keyboards that send MIDI velocity of key release?

And thanks to the poster on the Yamaha NL2 action info.

Pete

Just dropping in again to tell you I finally tried CME's UF80 and yes, I liked it and got mine. It has a good "hammer feel", but doesn't need too much force to be played. Well, it's as with real pianos - they all feel different, but it's a matter of taste... Yes, I like this one.
Plus it has the breath controller input that I needed - it works fine, too.
The aftertouch action needs much force, but if you get used to it, this might be a benefit since the UF80 will produce less aftertouch data accidentally when you hit keys.
I read some of the UF80s had certain issues with hammers colliding with already pressed keys. The problem seems to be solved, at least I didn't encounter these hammer noises.

Hi

I've just ordered a Yamaha CP33. I understand it's a very good stage piano, built well with a very nice action. I had to pay an extra £25 for the optional music rest. I will let you guys know how it integrates with pianoteq!

Chris

Hi; I'll chime in.  The CME UF 70 was my choice. I couldn't physically fit an 80 in my situation or I would have gotten that. The '70 has only semi-weighted action, but I'm not a great keys player, so it works fine for me. I was persuaded to CME by the Breath Controller input, which I need, and a good review by a local friend who owns a UF 60 and said it has survived road abuse well. I've had it a couple years with no problems. The velocities are transmitted with higher resolution than some kbrds I've used.
Have fun!
steve