Topic: Complete beginner setting up....

Hello everyone, I stumbled across pianoteq today and am completely in love with what I have heard and read so far. However, I am a complete noob when it comes to MIDI in any form.  I was initially looking to purchase the GEM rp-x, but Pianoteq seems to have much more growth potential. 

I play in a band and a duo, and would eventually like to use Pianoteq at our live gigs. 

At the moment I have a KORG sg-proX keyboard and a Yamaha p-120.  I also have an iMac running OS X with a 2 GHz intel core 2 duo with 1 GB RAM.  I am wondering how in the world I get the KORG connected to the iMac?  Once the piano is connected to the iMac, how would I then get it fed into the bands mixing board?

If I were to purchase Pianoteq, I would have a little over US$ 300 left to purchase the other necessary pieces.  So exactly what would I need for a good basic system, and is it possible within my price range, and if possible, do you have any suggestions for what products are best?

Possibly related, eventually I would like to buy a laptop for convenience reasons. Can I transfer pianoteq to a new computer?

Re: Complete beginner setting up....

Well you can connect your keyboard to your laptop with either a USB cable (simplest but not all keyboards have a USB port) or a midi to USB cable - probably around $20-30

The simplest way to connect your laptop to your mixer would be with an external soundcard I would think, In that case you would normally connect your keyboard to your soundcard with a midi cable, then your soundcard would connect to your laptop with a USB cable and your mixer/monitors would connect directly to your soundcard as well.

Hugh Sung explains it quite nicely here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf1t1qs0yTs