Topic: A beautiful recording with the Walter pianoforte

Hi all,
we recently discovered a beautiful Scarlatti Sonata played by Kaila Rochelle with the Walter add-on, so we added it to our audio pages:
http://www.pianoteq.com/listen?select=historical
We just wanted to share this with you

More about Kaila Rochelle:
http://specialneedsinmusic.com/piano.html
with many other beautiful recordings!

Re: A beautiful recording with the Walter pianoforte

Very nice indeed. The sound of the Walter seems in fact more suited to harpsichord music than later pianoforte works.

Listening form this site to Debussy's Clair de Lune on Ivory and comparing it to Hugh Sung's version on C3, there is no competition for this work in need of more resonance! Ptq3 wins hand down!

I think Kaila Rochelle should probably re-record some of her pieces with Ptq3. The Brahms Intermezzo Op.119 No.2 sounds a lot dated and very dry in comparison.

Last edited by Gilles (26-06-2009 16:31)

Listening still, I think for example the Soler Sonata No. 84 in D Major has probably been re-recorded with Ptq3. Much better sound in my opinion.

Same goes for De Falla Fantasia Baetica. A longer very pianistic piece where it is easy to forget that it is not a real piano...

That's great piano playing altogether anyway. Bravo!

Last edited by Gilles (26-06-2009 17:19)

Very interesthing.

The dowload for those mp3, from her page, were very slow.  Anybody noticed that too?

I just loaded the De Falla piece recorded on a real piano. 18MB and it loaded very fast at a sustained 4,6 Mbs.

I was curious to compare it with the pianoteq version and it is quite amazing to hear how similar it sounds while being a bit different (no cheating here! the pianoteq version is 30MB, being a 320kbps mp3)

The real piano has definitively greater dynamics here though.

Really great playing!

Last edited by Gilles (26-06-2009 19:32)

You can adjust the sound signal dynamic and piano itself dinamic on Pianoteq. Maybe this could help get closer to the original piano recording.

BNut a limitation I think was a problem was the lack of true fortissimos. The V3 version corrected that but only for C3. All the other models still lack good fortissimos.

Gilles wrote:

Very nice indeed. The sound of the Walter seems in fact more suited to harpsichord music than later pianoforte works.

Listening form this site to Debussy's Clair de Lune on Ivory and comparing it to Hugh Sung's version on C3, there is no competition for this work in need of more resonance! Ptq3 wins hand down!

I think Kaila Rochelle should probably re-record some of her pieces with Ptq3. The Brahms Intermezzo Op.119 No.2 sounds a lot dated and very dry in comparison.

...Listening still, I think for example the Soler Sonata No. 84 in D Major has probably been re-recorded with Ptq3. Much better sound in my opinion.

Hello to the forum members, 

This is Kenneth Babb, project manager for specialneedsinmusic.com.
I have worked with my pianist colleague Kaila Rochelle for about 12 years or so.

I would like to thank everyone for your interest and kind words regarding the Scarlatti Sonata K3 L378 PianoTeq Walter instrument and other Pianoteq recordings on our piano web page. It's wonderful to have this objective feedback about the work we have posted.

The Scarlatti K3/L378 was originally created on Ivory. I experimented with
a 'hybrid instrument' mix of Ivory and our Roland RD-700 midi keyboard Harpsichord instrument.  Pianoteq is a recent discovery for us, started working with it in Jan 2009. I didn't get around to trying the Walter instrument until Pianoteq 3 came out. The Walter immediately 'sounded right' for the Scarlatti.   

I'm eager to try the Walter with some Mozart pieces that we have up in Ivory and the Pianoteq 2 Bechstein.

Yes, the Soler Sonata No. 84 in D Major was 're-recorded' with the Pianoteq 3 Erard instrument. The Fantasia Baetica too. The Debussy Clair de Lune 'Pro Tools' session has been lost, so no choice but to redo the piece. The Pianoteq 3 Erard will probably be the instrument of choice.

I just re-worked the 'space' for The Brahms Intermezzo Op.119 No.2 (posted July 3 2009). The 'sustain pedal' still bothers me to no end, but the space seems to work much better now.   

The single most annoying problem we've had with Ivory is the sustain pedal. When Kaila first tried the Pianoteq, she immediately loved the response that allows 'her expression' to come through. Philippe Guillaume and Julien Pommier have the really captured the 'behavior' of a piano in their software. 

-Kb
-

Last edited by kbpnoteq (19-08-2009 07:48)