Topic: Pianoteq 3 in Sibelius build 5.25

Hi:

I had some severe problems with both of my Macs after installing crucial R.A.M. into the machines. I had to format and re-install the O.S. on both machines and replace defective with R.A.M. from a more reputable company.

As an aside, please don't purchase R.A.M. from Crucial unless you want tons of kernel panics and system instability.

I've recently re-installed all of the software onto my main workstation and I'm having terrible difficulties getting Sibelius to find the pianoteq vst. It usually showed up in the mixing window within the program. However, now I don't see it in the program at all.

After coming back to the pianoteq site to download the software, I upgraded to the newest build 3. Sibelius worked fine with build 2x, so it seems unlikely that moving to the newest would create problems.

Can anyone be of assistance in resolving this matter? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Stephen

Re: Pianoteq 3 in Sibelius build 5.25

I've been using Crucial for RAM for the best part of a decade (after seeing them recommended in O'Reilly's "PC Hardware in a Nutshell"), they are certainly a 'reputable company'
I also cannot imagine why bad RAM would necessitate a total reinstall from bare metal.
(Not that this is much help in solving your present problem

feline1 wrote:

I've been using Crucial for RAM for the best part of a decade (after seeing them recommended in O'Reilly's "PC Hardware in a Nutshell"), they are certainly a 'reputable company'
I also cannot imagine why bad RAM would necessitate a total reinstall from bare metal.
(Not that this is much help in solving your present problem

Hi:

I'm glad that you haven't had any problems with their ram. I was having nothing but kernel panic issues, which was writing bad data to the H.D.D.
Outside of doing an archive install, the only option was to replace defective ram in both Macs, install Kingston, and re-install the O.S. on both machines.
Even the 4g.b. ram stick that I purchased from them was defective. I would never order ram from that company again.
I solved the problem with the pianoteq issue: it was simply adding the vst to the playback configuration in the playback device menu. Very simple solution!

Cheers,

Steve

B.T.W.- I don't work for Kingston ;-)

Now that the original problem is solved, we can chase this rabbit a little.

I'm also a Crucial fan.  They're about as reputable a memory company as there is.  They're owned by Lexar, after all..  It's very irrational to imply that all Crucial memory causes kernel panics.

Might be a dumb question, but did you make 100% sure your machines can even handle the 4GB sticks you got?  Only the newest Mac Pros can handle anything more than 2GB DIMMs, and Macs are extremely specific on every aspect of memory.

Even if it is a memory defect causing the problem, it's unfair to condemn a manufacturer until you've given their warranty service a chance.  Every single company in the world has some percentage of defects in manufacturing that aren't caught by quality control.  That's why there are warranties.

But if both systems were behaving the same way, chances are it was an incompatibility.  If they labeled it as "guaranteed compatible" with your Macs (using their system selector thing) then you can give them a call and I'm sure they can figure it out, but I've never had incompatible Crucial memory with all the Macs I've had.

I also have to agree that wiping and reinstalling the OS is a very drastic measure if the problem was only defective memory.  Memory problems don't normally cause permanent damage to the OS.  That's the whole point of kernel panics, to prevent damage to the system.  Without hearing your diagnostic procedures, I have to be very suspicious about blaming the memory for all of the problems.

JerryKnight wrote:

Now that the original problem is solved, we can chase this rabbit a little.

I'm also a Crucial fan.  They're about as reputable a memory company as there is.  They're owned by Lexar, after all..  It's very irrational to imply that all Crucial memory causes kernel panics.

Crucial is also affiliated with Micron, if I'm not mistaken.
I'm glad that using Crucial R.A.M. hasn't caused you any problems, Jerry. You're very fortunate. And I beg to differ: their product is poor, I.M.O. I'm basing this on my own, recent personal experience with Crucial. I've been working as a PC/Mac/Linux technician for over a decade. Throughout that time I have installed Crucial R.A.M. on a number of different PC's and advocated the use of Crucial to many customers. However, the R.A.M. installed in my G5 Quad and Mac Book Pro was supplied by Crucial, and my thorough testing of the R.A.M. PROVED it to be defective. It may be irrational to suggest that ALL Crucial memory will result in kernel panics on UNIX based OS, but after losing several weeks of work due to this disastrous episode, I have a very bad taste in my mouth and wouldn't order anything from that company again.

Might be a dumb question, but did you make 100% sure your machines can even handle the 4GB sticks you got?  Only the newest Mac Pros can handle anything more than 2GB DIMMs, and Macs are extremely specific on every aspect of memory.

No. Let me be more specific: it was a 4g.b. U.S.B. Flash Drive unit, not standard D.I.M.M. sticks. I tested the drive on a number of different machines, including customers' machines, and it couldn't maintain the integrity of several .dmg, .exe, or even .pdf files. ALL of the files in question worked fine on my other F.D. Everything was THOROUGHLY tested. And, no, there is nothing dumb about your question ;-)

Even if it is a memory defect causing the problem, it's unfair to condemn a manufacturer until you've given their warranty service a chance.  Every single company in the world has some percentage of defects in manufacturing that aren't caught by quality control.  That's why there are warranties.

I did give their warranty service a chance and promptly returned defective memory to them for a refund. Of course, minus outlandish shipping costs, which I had to fight to be partially reimbursed for. And I do maintain the right to be critical of any company that charges customers for services and sends them defective products - after all, wouldn't you do the same?

But if both systems were behaving the same way, chances are it was an incompatibility.  If they labeled it as "guaranteed compatible" with your Macs (using their system selector thing) then you can give them a call and I'm sure they can figure it out, but I've never had incompatible Crucial memory with all the Macs I've had.

Perhaps you were not using mixed memory from various manufacturers. That's often the rub when it comes to memory related issues.

I also have to agree that wiping and reinstalling the OS is a very drastic measure if the problem was only defective memory.  Memory problems don't normally cause permanent damage to the OS.  That's the whole point of kernel panics, to prevent damage to the system.  Without hearing your diagnostic procedures, I have to be very suspicious about blaming the memory for all of the problems.

Persistent memory problems leading to constant kernel panics will eventually lead to writing corrupt data to your H.D.D. This is often related to Logic Board issues, though. However, in my case, it was due to Crucial's defective R.A.M.

I hope this is a bit more clear and helpful.

Cheers,

Steve

P.S.- In terms of R.A.M., I've seen more outlandish things: The use of Rambus R.A.M. in some Dell machines has dramatically tarnished my opinion of Dell, too.