Topic: Delay experience?

A pianist friend of mine tried out PT3 and was bothered by a feeling that she was hearing her attacks subtly too late. I myself hadn't had this feeling. I increased the "sound speed" to the maximum, and that improved her playing experience. It doesn't seem like this would be necessary, however, as I have the binaural mic set up right at the keyboard so as to get a player's perspective.

Is it possible that the time it takes Pianoteq to calculate creates a subtle delay? Has anyone else experienced this? Should we compensate by artificially increasing the "sound speed"?

Maybe she is used to playing smaller pianos than the one modeled by the C3. In my experience, a full sized grand can give a first impression of lag when one has been practicing on a baby grand or upright.

Last edited by beansoaker (28-06-2009 18:25)

Re: Delay experience?

Sound speed influences the sound propagation speed in a media. The default setting is air, so you should leave it as it is.
The problem could be latency due to poor processor performances or too much simultaneous processes in her computer. If she uses standalone version you can change latency settings in audio/midi setup window.

Re: Delay experience?

Yes, in the audio settings, adjust the "Audio buffer size".  Make it as small as it can be without the sound degrading.  That setting tells you the (estimated?) audio delay in milliseconds.  On my computer 256 samples gives a 5.8ms delay.  I would estimate that nothing more than 15-20ms would be perceivable to most people, but 5.8ms should be next to impossible to detect.

And unless you put the victual mic hundreds of feet away from the piano, the propagation delay should be negligible compared to the processing delay.

Last edited by JerryKnight (29-06-2009 14:14)