Topic: Left-handed piano !

Left-handed piano are very difficult to find, if not impossible. A few piano manufacturers attempted to create 'mirrored' piano.
However left-handed people would love learning on such a piano (look in piano forums to convince yourself).
One nice feature of Pianoteq is the built-in possibility to remap the keyboard... and by the way solves the problem of left-handed people (at least on a midi keyboard).

Here is how to proceed:

With the help of a text editor, save the following text in a file called 'reverse.kbm'

!------%<-----------Cut here--------------%<------
! Mirrored piano
!
! Size of map (greater than or equal to the number of notes in the scale
! to be mapped). The pattern repeats every so many keys:
! First MIDI note number to retune:
! Last MIDI note number to retune:
! Middle note where scale degree 0 is mapped to:
! Reference note for which frequency is given:
! Frequency to tune the above note to (floating point e.g. 440.0):
! Scale degree to consider as formal octave (determines difference in pitch
! between adjacent mapping patterns):
! Mapping.
! The numbers represent scale degrees mapped to keys. The first degree is for
! the given middle note, the next for subsequent higher keys.
! For an unmapped key, put in an "x". At the end, unmapped keys may be left out.
!------%<-----------Cut here--------------%<------

Load this file in the 'Keymap' field of the 'Tuning' section.

And voila, your keyboard is mirrored !

The sequence C D E F G A B C becomes E D C B A G F E (the black keys location is also mirrored).

If you play normally on such a keyboard, the result can be very surprising, especially with Bach music.

For example, the prelude in G major for Magdalena turns into a nice prelude in minor !

Listen to it in the 'Files' section of the forum: 'Minuet in G - mirrored version.mp3'.

Re: Left-handed piano !

I have wanted to be able to do this forever!  (And I'm actually right-handed.)  Call me crazy, but I think that this relatively simple concept should have been utilized by programmers long ago!

Thanks -- I'm going to try it later!

"Our developers, who art in Toulouse, hallowed be thy physical-models.
Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

I think that's ridiculous.

Left-handed people can learn to play the normal piano much the same as right-handed people.

Hard work and guts!

Talking about madness, I had imagine a way to use Pianoteq to create a crazy piano model, like one with just C, D, E, F, G, A notes.

A musician told a weird history about the musical notes were originaly just 6 notes, and would sound more beautiful.

Sure it's not just cut out the B note, but readjust the frequencies to get only 6 notes.

EvilDragon wrote:

Left-handed people can learn to play the normal piano much the same as right-handed people.

Now now, Evil Dragon, Southpaws are people two....  even if they are mutant aberrations...    Seriously, I always just figured Lefties had the advantage of a bit more control with walking bass lines... Do most lefties really wish there were reverse keyboards - and then, wouldn't notation need to be reversed ?  Favour Deserves Boy Good Every....?

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

EvilDragon wrote:

OK, I'm left-handed and I agree with ED.

The beauty of the piano is that one becomes ambidextrous and learns to use both hands proficiently.

Besides, a piano is neither left nor right-handed - both hands are used extensively if it's played well.  Beginners might not agree.

If you don't believe this, just download some Chopin midis, and play them  in Pianoteq - my god the man was superb with both hands, and he really made the piano work.

Did I ever wish there were left-handed pianos?  Never.

Boogie woogie was made for us.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn NK (16-04-2009 05:12)

Hi guys,
I just wanted to point the fact that some people complains about the lack of left-handed piano and pianoteq can be one solution. Some other solutions exist: lefthandedpiano.co.uk/ for example.
However, it's true that a guy who wants to learn on this kind of piano will have difficulty to find lessons and pianos to play out of his home.

Last edited by Nikos (16-04-2009 07:58)

First of all thanks to Nikos: is an interesting creative idea try to reverse music from lowest to highest note so thank you for the explanation

Then my thoughts: I'm another left handed pianist and I agree with ED and Glenn; as Glenn said a piano is just a piano (not left nor right-handed) thus the so called 'left handed' is another instrument. Fullstop. It should be called mirrored piano to avoid confusion..

It can happen than people, that can't afford a music teacher and want to learn playing guitar by themselves, start with the instrument in the wrong way and this can justify a left handed guitar or bass but with a piano it can't happen.
All notes we play are melodies (bass lines, basso continuo, high voices, layered harmony lines) so I can't understand this people complaining for the lack of this piano; I think it's just a matter of ignorance.. sad..

Btw one could always play this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Conc...nd_(Ravel)

Nikos, thank you _soooo_ much for this knowledge!  I am _delighted_.  (And, to all, I _am_ right-handed!)

I had actually wanted to do this long ago, and I had _no_ idea that you could use the Scala files to do it.  Now, my right hand can "plumb the depths," and my left hand can "scale the heights!!!"

In fact, I'm going to mess with some of the numbers and see what other weird alignments I can create.  Talk about good mental/physical exercise!

(I adapted quite naturally to the reversal.  Always thought I would...  8^)

Even though I hardly look upon this as a "parlour trick," I could imagine _really_ messing with folks (players and viewers) by using these alternate arrangements. 

Thanks again -- you've made this piano player _very_ happy!

:-)

Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

Well, since pianoteq it's almost omnipotent... Why not???

And a option to mirror all the existent piano models too.

I'm not left handed nor do I want to try this at all, but I think it's far from ridiculous.
If somebody feels that he/she could be more creative this way, or this would help in any way, I say go for it and fantastic that Pianoteq has made this possible.

It's no different to the idea of a left handed guitar; although just like with those, the idea of bass notes on the far right and treble notes up on the far left is just plain counterintuitive to me. Especially given the way sound frequencies are displayed on graphs (i.e. lower hz on the left, higher hz on the right!).

Last edited by MagicalPlug (03-06-2009 00:38)

Yup, it's all a matter of changing one's perspective, especially with notation.  I, for one, just enjoy messing around with both systems.  I improvise quite differently between the two!

EvilDragon wrote:

Sure, they CAN but with today's technology it doesn't have to be a MUST!  If someone wants to remap their keyboard and they have the ability to do it then more power to 'em!

Curt

I've heard that a lot of the realy good pianist have been left-handed. I think that it acctually is a good thing to be left-handed on an ordinary piano.

God bless you!

berghs.kedjan wrote:

I've heard that a lot of the realy good pianist have been left-handed. I think that it acctually is a good thing to be left-handed on an ordinary piano.

God bless you!

I'm not a great pianist - I'm barely a fair pianist, but being left-handed has conferred a great advantage to me when it comes to left hand work.

It has enabled me to use a lot of moving left hand in my solo arrangements - something that at least a few right-handers have had trouble with.

Glenn

berghs.kedjan wrote:

I think that it acctually is a good thing to be left-handed on an ordinary piano.

Now I can see that it seems like I am left-handed... But, I'm not... But when I play Chopins revolution etude I wish I was...

berghs.kedjan wrote:
berghs.kedjan wrote:

I think that it acctually is a good thing to be left-handed on an ordinary piano.

Now I can see that it seems like I am left-handed... But, I'm not... But when I play Chopins revolution etude I wish I was...

Ever tried playing the left hand of the Revolution Etude with your right hand ? That's probably even more difficult ;-)

In fact there are things the left hand often can do better than the right hand, regardless if you are a right or left handed pianist.  The left hand is better for global harmonic things and wide distances and big chords, for harmonic patterns, the right hand is better for melodic details, trills, scales. Some scholars say this has something to do with different functions for the right and left hemispheres of brain.

(Un)fortunately some composers don't care much about pianists. They just want to write good music:  I think Bach's Goldberg Variations are more difficult than Chopin's Revolution Etude. But I can't play either of them properly :-( Luckily there are other people around who can. :-)

dhalfen wrote:

I have wanted to be able to do this forever!  (And I'm actually right-handed.)  Call me crazy, but I think that this relatively simple concept should have been utilized by programmers long ago!

I have used something like this very long ago. In the 1990's I owned a Yamaha V50 synthesizer that allowed me to set a different pitch for each key. And I played with very strange keymappings like the reversed-scale that was posted in this thread.

I also experimented with things like quarter-tone tunings ( one octave would use two octaves on the keyboard ).

My favourite trick was: setting an octotonic scale on the white keys.
Imagine playing a scale like C C# D# E F# G A Bb on the white keys.
If you try to improvise on such a keyboard with complex chords on the white keys, you immediately start to sound like Olivier Messiaen. ( This scale is one of his "modes de transpositions limitées" ) 

This thread inspires me to make something like that possible with Pianoteq. Should be no problem. I'll be back if I have worked it out!

Last edited by m.tarenskeen (07-06-2009 16:53)

m.tarenskeen wrote:

I think Bach's Goldberg Variations are more difficult than Chopin's Revolution Etude. But I can't play either of them properly :-( Luckily there are other people around who can. :-)

Unfortunatly I can't play Bach's Goldberg Variations (I haven't tried) and I don't know if I play Chopins Revolution Etude properly, but I try...

Intressting theories about the diffrent skills och the hands...