Topic: Pianoteq in Wikipedia

There is no article about pianoteq on wikipedia.
What about we create one????

We can formulate a text, with many sugestions and comment util refine to a great article, and finally place into wikipedia.

Who would like to contribute?

Last edited by Beto-Music (17-05-2009 02:31)

Re: Pianoteq in Wikipedia

If you simply cut-and-paste a big chunk of text onto wikipedia,
which has clearly been worked on elsewhere,
the community will immediately suspect it of being a commercial promo.

Start the article on wikipedia,
and allow it to be edited and grow there in the natural way.

Uhhh, we can start by editing the article about digital pianos, by annexing references to modeled digital pianos like pianoteq and V-piano.

I think referencing Pianoteq as the developers have, by placing it along the continuum of the evolution of pianos and piano technology, will give it much historical relevance (as well as being a clever marketing strategy...)

next, are there separate articles on "acoustic" "digital" etc?   is there, then, a separate article for "modeled" pianos?

I think it's important to work on these steps to lay a foundation and provide a context for the importance of "Pianoteq" (first modeled piano) and then "Modartt" (creator of pianoteq) as distinct entries

but i won't have time to contribute directly, so the above is my best contribution right now

It's separete for digital and acoustic, but not for modeled digital piano.

Who else want to help?

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-05-2009 15:34)

I'd love to get involved with this although I've never used Wikipedia as an editor before, I'm sure I can work it out! Pianoteq is an important evolution of the piano, not just in terms of sales hype, but genuinely as a development of the concept. I believe it deserves to be accurately recorded and as has already been mentioned, this needs to be within the historical context of keyboard based instruments and how they generate their sounds.

What's the next step Beto-Music? I'm happy to help

Last edited by MagicalPlug (28-05-2009 16:56)

I would like to have:

- A text from Moddart, exclusive prepared for it.
-Links for some samples.
-Images
-And a historic perspective of eletric and digital piano evolution.

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-05-2009 19:21)

Right. I thought it would make more sense for us to write something on Wikipedia and work collaboratively on it; given that this is the premise of 'the free encyclopedia' anyway

I have made a start. I have ammended http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano to put Pianoteq into historical context. And I have created http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianoteq

I am new to Wikipedia so not entirely sure of etiquette but I have done my best to write in a neutral manner.

If anyone wishes to contribute and add to what I started by Editing the page, please feel free to do so!

Jonathan

Last edited by MagicalPlug (29-05-2009 00:58)

Beto-Music wrote:

I would like to have:

- A text from Moddart, exclusive prepared for it.

A commercial business writing its own text for its own wikipedia article would get deleted by the admins quicker than you could shake a stick at.

jonathantrengrove wrote:

I have made a start. I have ammended http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano to put Pianoteq into historical context. And I have created http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianoteq
Jonathan

I noticed your changes on the Piano page had already been rolled back by someone citing "promotional editing"...  I saw your small edit in the history, and I wouldn't agree as you were merely mentioning PTQ as an example of modern modeling technology.  I would suggest you take that up in the Discussion for the Piano page.

As for the Pianoteq page - good start!  I made a small edit, correcting a couple typos and adding a link to the Youtube interview of Philippe, since that not only talks about PTQ but also acoustic pianos and the generations in between.

I would suggest putting a few headings in the page to give it some structure - I had thoughts on heading titles earlier but can't remember them now  

In any case, I would focus on the stuff explaining what modelling is and how it differs from previous technologies, perhaps illustrating that with how Pianoteq implements things.  This is because if the PTQ article doesn't survive due to it being deemed "too commercial" – at least the stuff on technology can be moved to a page on Modelling, where Pianoteq could still be mentioned as being a pioneering product.

My 2 euro-cents

I've re-added Pianoteq back into the Piano article in a better way.

I don't think the current article is commerical. It simply states the facts; there is no hyperbole or advertisment that Pianoteq is a superior piano product - there's simply details about what it is and how it generates its sound.

If anyone else wants to contribute more information or has some ideas for section creating and/or references to cite - their help is greatly appreciated.

What about add the link to Hugh Sung demonstrations of pianoteq?

We could do. I don't really rate those videos, they use old Pianoteq technology to demonstrate the product anyway. His analogy of pianists having to use sampled pianos being like a painter having to using crayons was a bit far fetched I thought.

Ok... Who want to create a new demostration video, using the latest version 3.3, and also show the historic pianos and the electric pianos and vibes?