Topic: Pianoteq Future

This is actually a repost, I just wanted to let everyone in on my thoughts.  This is concerning the future of Modartt's product called Pianoteq and thoughts about their direction and progress:

Post from:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=654

feline1 wrote:
There are loads of programs out there which can edit MIDI.
There are no programs out there provide an emulated upright piano.
Guess which one i think it would be more useful for Modartt to develop!
+1 on that.

My response was:
+1 on that.
I absolutely agree.  Besides, think about what you are asking Modartt to do.  Take their attention away from their specialty, and start doing something they never have done before.  That would be like like Starbucks deciding to start serving hotdogs.  Ok, that might be exaggerating a little bit, but it was a good laugh.  Seriously though, Modartt specializes in modeling technology and I would imagine that they spend all of their time and resources on improving that technology.  I believe they need all the time in developing it as they can possibly get.  Kind of like starting a lawn mower.  You have to pull that rope as fast as you can to get up enough speed so that there are enough reps to get it started.  There are not very many companies that invest into physical modeling because it is so much easier to make a recorded piano sound like a recorded piano than to try to make an emulated piano sound like a recorded piano.  The truth is, the listeners out there want something that sounds good, they don't care how you felt when you played it.  I must say it, from a listening perspective, Ivory sounds good!!  From a playing perspective Pianoteq plays really, really good.
That being said, I think Modartt's place in the music industry is kind of like comparing CD's and LP's.  Early on, LP's just sounded so good.  CD's were so much more practical, but the sound wasn't quite right.  CD's were going to be the way of the future, but there were a number of companies who said, no, we will stick with our LP's because they just sound better.
What this means is that there is a great deal of effort that needs to go into Virtual Modeling in order to get it to the point where it can contain the warmth of the good old sampling methods.  And if they don't put everything they have into it to improve it, then they might as well hang up their hats and hand it over to Roland.
Modartt is in quite a unique position, and I really hope that they maintain their position, get as many reps out of that engine, and really get it going to the point where everyone (even listening critics), will agree that sampling is pointless when this kind of technology exists.  Right now you can't convince listeners that Pianoteq sounds better than Ivory, just as you can't convince players that Ivory plays better than Pianoteq.  Ivory sounds good, and Pianoteq plays good.  What more is there to say?
This can be said,
I cheer for Modartt and their whole hearted progress in achieving that excellent sound.  Laying aside every weight and obstacle and focusing on what really matters to the future of their product called, "Pianoteq".