Topic: Composition contest

New contest, open for all:

Compose something performed on Pianoteq and win a Pianoteq license.

The rules:
- anyone can participate
- one entry per contestant
- instrumental music only (solo, ensemble, orchestral)
- any kind of music genre
- performed on Pianoteq 2.1 (trial or full version)
- no other instruments than Pianoteq is allowed in the recording

Instructions:
- upload your mp3 and midi file entry to the files section (here)
- if you prefer, you can let us do the mp3 recording for you (using the midi and fxp's)
- by all means announce it here in this thread and say a few words about it
- you can upload your entry whenever you like but no later than August 31

On September 1 the voting starts. On September 16 we will announce the winner.

Let's have some fun...

Re: Composition contest

Can we use multiple instances of Pianoteq in a midi realisation?

How to realize a good or better Composition for Contest with disabled Notes ?

yeah, if you own a registration with all notes enabled, why would you want a free one?

Hmmm, I think that's an adventure with Handicap...

Should be working 4 few days :-)

auralsculpture wrote:

Can we use multiple instances of Pianoteq in a midi realisation?

Yes. What we need to know is that Pianoteq is in fact used for all instruments. You can save it as a midi file and then in your description add information like this:

track 1: C2 concert
track 2: Misc pianorga
or by providing (uploading) fxp files (one per track)

Please use the internal reverb only, let us know the values (or save as fxp).

Stinger wrote:

How to realize a good or better Composition for Contest with disabled Notes ?

We will take it into account and will hear the missing notes when we play the midi file according to the information we have.

> How to realize a good or better Composition for Contest with disabled Notes ?

Exact question I was about to ask (actually Stinger expressed it very accurately).

Anyway, this means : compose with anything else than pianoteq and then just imagine your whole composition sounds good with pianoteq. I don't like the idea personally (Chopin with lacking notes does not sound good). Isn't 45 days trial period enough limitation, at least at the composition contest time? As for the rules - it would be better to send MIDI file + FXP and let Modartt generate MP3 files ready for voting, instead of sendig handicap MP3.

Regarding pianoteq v2.1 itself,  it's a step forward but still sounds way too artificial to think about serious solo piano performance; it does not impress me to compose piano pieces (sounds good enough in mix though) but I wish Modartt team good luck with this product development.

Best regards,
Krzysiek

KK wrote:

As for the rules - it would be better to send MIDI file + FXP and let Modartt generate MP3 files ready for voting, instead of sendig handicap MP3.

Thank you for your suggestion. Let us do it this way. This goes for all trial users: just upload the midi file and fxp files that you used and I can record it for you if you like.

Best regards,
Niclas

I simply won't use these notes :-) Or what you could do is map a different piano module to the missing notes (e.g. Proteus 2000) - of course you won't have the interaction / resonance but it will give you a good idea.

Another question - when recording to mp3 do you allow use of
- Compression
- external reverbs (e.g. Waves truverb)
- Equalizer
- other FX (e.g. Filters)

The reason I am asking is: When recording an acoustic instrument I would probably use the same treatments for enhancing it, so why not use it on Pianoteq?

thanks
  Axel

Axel wrote:

- external reverbs (e.g. Waves truverb)

Fogwall wrote:

Please use the internal reverb only

Axel wrote:

When recording an acoustic instrument I would probably use the same treatments for enhancing it, so why not use it on Pianoteq?

I'm not involved, but I think Modartt is maybe searching for good demo(s) for their product; that's why it is desirable to use internal engine only. Whether it is true or not, I have to say that I like their user-open policy.

Krzysiek

Hi,

I would like to know if the entry for the contest must be an original work?

Thanks

khiun wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know if the entry for the contest must be an original work?

Thanks

Yes, it must be composed by the participant.

Hi again,

Thanks for the previous reply! Just wondering....any time length restriction for the work?

khiun wrote:

Just wondering....any time length restriction for the work?

Not really. What is important is the quality of the work.

woohoow, I can also participate again with a new trial ..

What if I use the plug in cubase ? can I also send the cpr ? (do you have cubase 4/ studio ?)

I don't want to act hard or so, just: it seems convenient that when I have 4 instances of pianoteq playing a performance, you could have the proof of it in one click

CosmicD wrote:

woohoow, I can also participate again with a new trial ..

What if I use the plug in cubase ? can I also send the cpr ? (do you have cubase 4/ studio ?)

I don't want to act hard or so, just: it seems convenient that when I have 4 instances of pianoteq playing a performance, you could have the proof of it in one click

Hi CosmicD, sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, you may upload a cpr file. However, as not everybody is using Cubase you must upload the midi files as well.

Hey what if I'm using Project 5.  I can't export to midi.  What should I do?

DHam wrote:

Hey what if I'm using Project 5.  I can't export to midi.  What should I do?

Ok... I contact you directly so that we can discuss it and find a solution.

Hi,

just one more question about posting entries for the contest...What should we do to distinguish the files that are entries for the contest from all those demos also placed under 'Files' section?

Thanks!

khiun wrote:

What should we do to distinguish the files that are entries for the contest from all those demos also placed under 'Files' section?

Just upload the files with descriptions in the files section. When voting will start, we will list all entries with direct links and descriptions in a specific thread.

Hola!

I 've just upload V()id for String Orchestra for the Composition Contest.
I would like to post the pdf score but when I try to do it amessage tell me that
the file extension is not allowed. How can I do?

Thanks a lot for the oportunity!

...Luis

V()id.
This is an unpronounceable word. It have two parentheses
with nothing between them.
The same feeling when someone have dissapeared...
V()id is similar to void. Void is unoccupied, an empty space.
This work, for string orchestra, performed by my two daugthers Magdalena
and María (both violinists) in string quintet version,
was dedicated to María Esther and Nestor (parents of Laura, my wife)
"desaparecidos" in Argentina in July '77.

If we must participate with only one movement please choose V()id 3 or V()id 4,
because I think they are more suitable for a piano transcription.

Feel free to make a new render of the work including the missing notes.

Luis Rojas
laurayluisrojas@speedy.com.ar

Fogwall wrote:

The rules:
- instrumental music only (solo, ensemble, orchestral)
- no other instruments than Pianoteq is allowed in the recording

I don't understand these very well.
example: I can do a piece for orchesta, but Do I have to find setting of pianoteq for some similar instrument? it's may be fool...
it's may be possible to emulate bass, organ, marimba, rhodes, ok... but what other else??
how to create something like a flaute o a violin?
and it's may be no-sense from my point of view, because it's better a program that does only some things but that does it well :-)
I also think there are hidden settings like envelops (attack delay sustain..), isn't it?

so, I think I'll partecipate (I hope to finish :-) ) with a simple and effective piece for piano (2 hands).
Is it disadvantaged from start a composition that use the default preset piano?

luis wrote:

I 've just upload V()id for String Orchestra for the Composition Contest.
I would like to post the pdf score but when I try to do it amessage tell me that
the file extension is not allowed. How can I do?

Thanks Luis for offering the pdf score as well. There is no need to upload it here but you are welcome to send it directly to me if you like.

Regards,
Niclas

vespa wrote:

example: I can do a piece for orchesta, but Do I have to find setting of pianoteq for some similar instrument? it's may be fool...
it's may be possible to emulate bass, organ, marimba, rhodes, ok... but what other else??
how to create something like a flaute o a violin?

Hi Vespa,

How to utilize Pianoteq for simulating other instruments than the piano is up to each participator to figure out... There are quite a lot of parameters in the interface that can alter the sound in different ways (but within certain limits of course). Do what you find most appropriate. A pure solo piano work is fine too.

Regards,
Niclas

Hi,

I just uploaded the simple song Drifting Clouds. It is based on a Habanera rhythm and lets you hear the beautiful decay of the Pianoteq instrument. Although I have also done a vocal melody and some extra counterpoint for this song, I kept this version as simple as possible (only solo piano) as I think it can stand on its own like this.

Of course I used the trial version, so had to transpose down from E to D to minimize the number of missing notes. I prefer the E version as the D becomes slightly too dark. In this D version only a c sharp is missing -- actually an essential note, but you can probably spot the places where it is missing...

Enjoy!

Dennis Duchhart

Last edited by duchhart (28-08-2007 17:18)

hey,

may i upload a cubase sx3 .cpr-file and could you please make the mp3-file so the missing notes will be heard?
would be really kind!

miki

(btw.: please excuse my english if it is quite bad

miki wrote:

may i upload a cubase sx3 .cpr-file and could you please make the mp3-file so the missing notes will be heard?
would be really kind!

Yes, please go ahead, we will do the recording for you if we have all the information we need.

Regards,
Niclas

I just upload a very simple music " résone", recorded in one shot  because that's what I'm liking to feel  with pianoteq. unfortunatly I recorded this with energy xt 2 , wich seems no able to export yet midi files. so I export this music in .XTC ( xt2 format ) and it possible to read it with the energy XT2 demo. sorry for this ...It was not possible to send  the XTC file with the upload " Error: The file extension is not allowed." so if you need this file , contact me please.

cheers,
damien

thanks a lot. my .cpr-file is up now. didn't give it a real name, just pianoteq.

cheers,
miki

damstraversaz wrote:

...with energy xt 2

there are some other advace ways to record midi.
the more simple is use another sequencer vst compatible, load the vst version of energy xt , open your project, in Comps add MIDI OUT and connect it to sequencer, now the sequencer shold be listen your midi data.
for a project with only 1 track, i think there aren't problem of channel, eccetera...

there are many freeware sequencer... just find the better.. (but I don't already find it :-(  )

vespa wrote:
damstraversaz wrote:

...with energy xt 2

there are some other advace ways to record midi.
the more simple is use another sequencer vst compatible, load the vst version of energy xt , open your project, in Comps add MIDI OUT and connect it to sequencer, now the sequencer shold be listen your midi data.
for a project with only 1 track, i think there aren't problem of channel, eccetera...

there are many freeware sequencer... just find the better.. (but I don't already find it :-(  )

good idea I upload the midi file today. Your idea works fine with reaper , thanks !

Hello!

I wrote a piece called "The Wings of Passion" in a Rachmaninov-influenced romantic style that pushes your incredible plugin to the limits, displaying everything from string-busting fortissimo outbursts to gentle pianissimo lines but with nonstop concert virtuosity.

No effects used, only the default preset Grand C2 Concert.
One note though: The volume was lowered to -4.1 dB on the Pianoteq's dynamic panel to prevent clipping.

I uploaded the Cubase (SL) .cpr file and MIDI file.

I'm not sure if you want my rendition of .mp3 since I used a free pitchshifter plugin to compensate for missing notes (clever huh ) ... the "missing" notes are distorted and might give someone the wrong impression. If you could do the rendering I'd be grateful.

Regards, Matt (Aziraphal)

Hi there!

Here is my entry for the contest. It's called 'Lunaestis' and it is a very intimate piece for piano solo, in a suite-like style, with several melodical/harmonical themes interconnected. I wrote it a few years ago (the old fashioned way: piano, pencil and paper), in dedication to a special person (won't go into details here...). Now I got the chance to bring it to life with Pianoteq!
I spent the last weeks arranging for the midi file and the last few days tweaking the stand-alone of the trial version, to get the right feeling into it. The recording was made using a SB Live! External 24bit USB soundcard connected to a laptop. No external effect/equalization was added during recording (as required), only pianoteq's internal EQ, VEL curves and reverberation settings to make it sound good (as you may see with the '.fxp' file).
There are a few notes missing here and there in the recording, which don't affect the overall sense of the piece. But if the Pianoteq team would like, I would really appreciate if you could re-record it with the full-note range. I've added the .mp3, .mid and .fxp files, so I think that covers all needs for the contest.

Finally, I would like to wish the best of lucks for all other competitors. I think you all have done a great job with your pieces!

Best regards

Ok...for some reason, the server gave an error while I was trying to upload the .mp3 file... don't know why, it's less than 10Mb. Oh well, I will try to upload it again in a few hours. In case I get the same error, is there another way to post it here? thanks

Hello again,

I uploaded my .mp3 rendering anyway, so feel free to replace it with the "real" one later on.

Cheers Matt

I have just uploaded "Qip Etona" for the contest. Thanks for the challenge!

Thomas

I have uploaded "Weird Resonances" for the contest. Good luck to everybody !

my piece:

Aurora
(means sun rise)

structure:
intro ; A ; A ; -> ; B ; B> ; A ; -> ; B ; B ; evolutions ; coda

(A) the sun rises supremely,
then (B) the point of view move to the nature that revives again, (a more fast and simple catchy tune).

preset Grand C2 concert  is good.
please render (and add) mp3 for 'missing-notes'.

thanks for the opportunity.

I've uploaded my Bagatelle no 13 to the contest (including FXP and midi files). I haven't used the trial version for more than a few days, so I haven't yet learnt how to use the instrument to its best abillities. I'm quite impressed by what I've heard and seen so far - and as a bonus I can finally have an "ivory light" on the laptop on the road.

I made a few "detours" around the missing notes on the trial, but it wasn't crucial.
Thanks for the contest - it helped me improve the piece, and inspires even if one doesn't win. Good luck to you all!

Finally managed to upload the .mp3 file for 'Lunaestis', after several tries... Nonetheless, as I've said in an earlier post, feel free to re-record the piece into another .mp3 file, using the .fxp file on complete version of Pianoteq containing the missing notes. Thanks for the opportunity and, once again, best of lucks for all!

Regards.

Hello,

This is the first time I post in this forum and, I must say, I'm really amazed with the capabilities of Pianoteq, regarding sound, performance and realism. It accomplishes so much! So I tried to trial version and decided to enter this contest. My piece is called 'Destination' and it was like an inspiration of the moment while I was traveling on a train. I was kinda introspective and, suddenly, this flowing music started sounding in my head. And there it was...destination.

I made the upload of the .mid and .fxp files for it. As for the .mp3 I must say that this piece is very, very modulating. Even tried to transpose it several times, but the missing notes were just to noticeable. So I decided to work the .fxp file around and let you record the piece with your marvelous complete Pianoteq version. Hope this will do the trick!

Good luck for everybody!

Oh, forgot to mention this earlier. I made the recording using the stand-alone version of Pianoteq, in order to achieve more polyphony voices with less cpu usage.

hello, i've uploaded my entry.
i don't know how to save the patches i made and used in it as .fxb files, and your uploading system refuses the format i do know how to save them as (.prs). hence, you may download them from here:
www.psy-t.com/Psy-T_-_Pianoteq1.prs
www.psy-t.com/Psy-T_-_Pianoteq2.prs
www.psy-t.com/Psy-T_-_Pianoteq3.prs

thank you.

I've uploaded my song too and not a moment too soon.

When I think about pianoteq i think about brittle melancholy or strong determination and the piano is to me what it is. Call it lazy, but that's why I didn't choose to experiment with all the settings to create a pianoteq sonic mayhem, but I choose for an intimate piece.

It's created using cubase and I'm definitely going to build a movie esque sound around it with other plugins, but for this edition, I just exported to midi: made an fxp and exported to wave with pianoteq: using high quality. So: what you hear is what you get from pianoteq 2.1 trial version.

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...ion%29.mp3
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...chable.mid
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...chable.fxp

Thank you everyone for your entries! I think we got about 17 now, not bad at all. Quite a lot of work to do now... I will create a voting thread very soon with a list of mp3 files for everyone to listen to. If I need some additional information for the recording, I will contact each contestant privately.

Good luck,
Niclas