Topic: Just posted "cleanjazz" preset

After my attempt at modeling p250's grand piano 1 sound, I took what I learned, and tried to create a well rounded preset for general use. (that's not sample inspired)  This is amongst one of the many patches I'm working on in that direction.

Micing:
The right mic is placed a little higher than my other "in your face" patches to give a fuller tone for the c4 zone.  The left mic is offset a little bit so the c2 area isn't so prominent.  I think a c2 range that's too close doesn't work too well for jazz since it's easy to overpower the right hand part, no matter how lightly I play.  The third mic in the rear adds low end body and a more well defined fundamental tone over all.

Other settings:
As with most of my presets, I used a low direct sound duration to minimize the strange metalic buzz that appears with higher settings.  The hammer hardness is optimized for my P250's "Heavy touch" setting, so play around and see what works for you.  I think tweaking the "mezzo" knob so that your mp velocity range isn't causing metalic buzz should do the trick.  The rest of the settings are pretty much default I think.

The overall sound I was going for, was a solid bodied sound that would blend well with a trio, or sit well in a mix.  So there's a good amount of high end, but also a strong mid/low presence without sounding to heavy.

Hear for yourself, and tell me what you think!  My ears are quite used this sound already, so I'm not sure if my ears are still accurate.
mp3 demo:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...anjazz.mp3

fxp file:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...anjazz.fxp

Re: Just posted "cleanjazz" preset

Very playable thanks

thanks.  After couple days of playing, it does feel a little too hard to get to the brighter tones.. it's hard to say if it's just the velocity curve on the controller or if I should edit the hammer hardness..  if anyone can tell me their experiences, and what velocity curve on which controller they used, it'll be valuable in optimizing the curve.  Ideally, it'd be nice if people can optimize this patch for their own controller, and share it.  So that all a new user has to do is to find the preset that corresponds to their own controller, download, and start playing.

Last edited by kensuguro (16-04-2009 18:36)

Thank You Kensuguro, thats a great piano sound, just what I was after!