Topic: Blending pianos models.

I have a idea.  Whay not a special feature allowing us to blend two  different models of pianos???

I don't talk about just get the sound of one and blend to another like a sound mix. I talk about create a new piano from two models.

We know that the sliders and adjust we have available it's just a narrow of what really pianoteq adjustable algorithms have. So my idea it's a simple blend option that would turn all those characteristicis of two pianos into a single piano model.

My only convern is about sound timbre itself, since pianoteq it's not fully created from scratch, but start with a sound analyze of piano sampled sounds. I'm not sure it that just turn the "blending feature" impossible or not.

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-02-2009 22:53)

Re: Blending pianos models.

Beto-Music wrote:

So my idea it's a simple blend option that would turn all those characteristicis of two pianos into a single piano model.

It's not nearly as simple as you think it is, I reckon.

Hard work and guts!

Well, I started imagining that would be nice have a hibrid version of S. Erard and bechstein add-ons.

So I imagined that the sound analyzes of each note could get a average configuration (not sure if it's possible) and each characteristic, like hammer hardness (for each note) and hammer shape (not available in sliders but build in on software algorithms), impedance etc... could get a average value between both models.

The Bechsteins add-on was made from a Bechstein model that was tunned for pop music for several years. it's a good model, but the bass it's too strong, while the trebble it's quite pleasant.   Perhaps a hybrid with S Erard could generate a piano model bether than both.

Anyway, if it's really not mathematically possible to create such blending feature, maybe Moddart could try a hybrid model by carefully remodeling the pianos.

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-02-2009 23:28)

I think you'll need a Pianoteq PRO version, as it will enable you to adjust all parameters for each key separately. That way you'll be able to sculpt your own piano sound

Hard work and guts!

The Pro version is going to a very special instrument, and I doubt that will be a free upgrade. No problemo, as I think it will be the one that everyone can be happy about.
PTeq. 3.0 has a damn fine sound, it will continue to rise in popularity with guys who are looking to customize their sounds.
I know I am probably the only guy who uses Scope DSP sound cards here, but I already can see the possibilities of this Piano w/ the Pro version and multichannel configs into a multichannel playback device such as the XITE-1, which will probably shock many folks at Messe next month.
I have been using PTeq.3.0. dry and the w/ Player perspective into the Brainrox M/S DSP plugs and the new 5.1 reverb it propels the possibilites into an entirely new realm of sound.
Anything that makes me want to practice solo Piano as much as this is truly exciting.
BTW, I have mixed 2 instances of PTeq.3.0 using the C3 and Rhody to get the old Josef Zawinul sound where the Rhodes used an MXR100 Phaser w/ the 5.1 reverb and it is to die for....
I was using Black Grand and Scarbee's Rhodes to do this for years but the Rhody w/ effects sounds better due to it's larger initail sound.

Hardware Analog, DSP, PhysMod. VSTi Romplers....

I think the magic word here would be 'morphing' and yes, I would find that interesting too.

But then I agree with FriendlyDragon (or was it evil ) that it might be more difficult than we non-tech users think.

And if one would actually be given such feature, one might soon wish to just morph the bass range while keeping the upper range (as hinted here before).

That would certainly pose a challenge for interface design and usability.

That said, nothing seems unthinkable these days... Modartt? Pro version?

Last edited by Gizmao (05-03-2009 12:44)