Re: Pianoteq 3.0 First Impressions

NeilCraig wrote:

Yes but you won't have any sympathetic resonance between notes of chords if the notes are actually struck...a resonating string can't resonate any more than it already is.

Ah, ok - sorry. I thought there might be an interaction between strings that are in fact already vibrating, due to the soundboard, which might make chords sound richer. I have never read this in any official publication though.

The phasing effect between strings which are not perfectly in tune (stretched unison) and between upper partials of chordal notes which are out of tune with other partials in other notes of differing pitch is already present.  Play the opening chords of Schumann's "The Poet Speaks" and this is very obvious on the C3 preset.

Yes, I have always been able to hear this.

Greg.

Coming from version 2.3, what a shock! But a very pleasant one. Thru quality speakers, the sound has attained an impressive level of quality and transparency, as well as integrity across the keyboard. Congratulations to Modartt!

One thing no-one seems to have commented on is the sound of the C3 piano - in particular, what seems to have been modelled from. To my ears, could it be... dare I say it... it sounds rather reminiscent of a Steinway?

Another update on my mid-range C3 problem. I think it may be a subtle phasing issue. I only notice it when playing chords. For example, if I play the triad C4,F4, A4 (middle C = C4) using the Solo Recording preset, it sounds a bit strange - *slightly* like some kind of electric piano rather than an acoustic.   If I simply change to the Player preset, the objectionable character (whatever the heck it is) goes away, and I have no problems whatsoever.   If I then switch back to Solo Recording, and disable microphones 3 & 4, again, it sounds completely fine.

So I am now almost certain I am not complaining about the original piano, nor the modelling of the piano. 

I am probably focussing too much on the sound too. I imagine that it's impossible to set up the microphones so that there are absolutely no phasing anomalies whatsoever.

Greg.

Skip,

Can you post an mp3 or wave file in the Files section so we can hear what you're hearing?

(By the way, do you notice the sound at all velocities, playing these chords?)

This is a great update of an already great instrument!
The microphone options beside of the sound improvement does it. Now it's really possible to fit in the instrument in a mix as well in studio as on stage with the finest accuracy.
The M3 piano is probably the instrument most suitable for my use and the improvement from M1 is  definitely a giant step forward. But if I may have one remark on this lucky occasion I wish there was a little bit of more overtones in the sound. I really liked the sound of bass strings in the old M1 and it's always easier to cut overtones if you want less of it than to add. Do I dare to wish a “M2 add on” as the missing link of the M piano.

Anyway, I have now playing around with the Pianoteq 3 every day for almost a week and I'm amazed. Congratulations Modarrt team!

Harald.

Last edited by HaraldS (28-02-2009 13:02)

hyper.real wrote:

One thing no-one seems to have commented on is the sound of the C3 piano - in particular, what seems to have been modelled from. To my ears, could it be... dare I say it... it sounds rather reminiscent of a Steinway?

That is correct, a Steinway D has been carefully analysed during the construction of the C3 model!

Jake Johnson wrote:

Skip,

Can you post an mp3 or wave file in the Files section so we can hear what you're hearing?

(By the way, do you notice the sound at all velocities, playing these chords?)

Unfortunately, I can't, at least not at the moment. Right now, Solo Recording doesn't sound strange. I think I have listened to it so much that I am now accepting it as normal.  Naturally when I switch to a different preset the sound is different, but I honestly can't say that S.R sounds "wrong". I'm going to go and lie down now.   When I switch to Player, that F chord does sound better (warmer, and it sings a bit more, whereas S.R sounds brighter and harsher), but at the moment S.R doesn't sound "bad".  I'm really sorry for wasting your time on this.

When I was finding S.R objectionable, I was playing MF - probably at velocities around 80 or so.

If I manage to find something consistent I am more than willing to upload some files!

Anyway, despite my dithering, I still think the issue I have is with microphone placement, which is a relief, because I can change this at will.

Greg.

incredible good surprise !
i dont have much time now, but i downloaded and the new sound is very beautiful.

when i try it with some of my songs i have some troubles... wich comes not from Pianoteq but because of HP probls.
   i will need some time for testing all that with headphones, tweak, taking some distences (psychologic : listening as a new, not as what i use to)... and so on...

notice : i found the new by looking in Audiofanzine...

Ondist and Thereminist concertist and composer
Ondes Martenot, Ondéa, Thérémin, player, composer
Messiaen's Turangalîla-Symphony in Cubase with 10 VSTi (including 4 instances of Pianoteq)

hyper.real wrote:

I also picked up on the Steinway property of the C3 model!
Check my comments here:
http://www.pianoteq.com/testimonials?pi...2d2c8b8e2f

I have played PTQ from v1 which sounded really artificial in comparison to what we have now (but the playability and 'liveliness' did it for me then).

v2 with model C2 was a big improvement, but v3 beats that upgrade big time.

I cannot relate to all the nitpicking uttered here. Certainly there are a few issues, but the same goes for virtually (pun!) every real piano out there, including the often worrisome recording.

The miking option is a revelation on its own. I have been able to recreate many sounds of actual pianos on recordings with relative ease. I think we are at a point where only very few people can tell right away that this is not a real piano.

As for the Erard – I felt it was not quite the real deal in v2 (too direct, brittle and one-dimensional), but now with the miking options it is finally usable. And what a great, emotional and majestic instrument it turns out to be!

In summary, I am extremely inspired by this upgrade. If I were asked, after all I've seen, about 'the best plugin', PTQ would be it. Now more than ever.

Last edited by Gizmao (03-03-2009 21:41)

Hi Gizmao.  What exact adjust you find to be so good for erad add-on?

Beto-Music wrote:

Hello Beto,

I'm afraid I don't quite get your wording. Are asking what to adjust in this particular Instrument?

Yes. I'm curious about the mic placement you did refer to improve the erard piano.

Gizmao wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Hello Beto,

I'm afraid I don't quite get your wording. Are asking what to adjust in this particular Instrument?

I see.

First, the main difference is to have mics at all! That gives 'air' to the sound and takes away the 'sterile', compressed 'pickup' type sound. Which applies to all models of course.

Actual mic placement depends on the situation. I like the 'Erard close' as a starting point.

I also found that cutting 1.5k a bit helps with this particular model. It gets smoother that way. The Erard is a great intrument for ballads!

Hope that helps

Last edited by Gizmao (03-03-2009 22:50)

I've been trying this little baby this morning and i can hear a big improvement.
Pianoteq 2 didn't convince me(i'm a user of ivory) but the grand piano c3 is way better, and the BINAURAL mode is incredible.

By the way, i'm a little scared because there is no activation window on my trial version, not like the screenshots in the manual.
If i buy pianoteq 3, do i have to wait for a box/dvd version?

Thank you.

Antoine.

Just ordered it in my music store cause I can't wait anytmore for this . Any sampled piano really doesnt touch the snare that this vst does .

Hope it's available at retail ?

Just a curiosity.  Had anybody here tried the Roland grand space feature, that clains do give a 3D feeling (sensation of sound coming from a virtual soundboard) while listening by headphones?

I'm curious to hear from somebody that treid it and also Pianoteq 3.0  binaural feature.

@beto

Just for curiosity: If someone told you that the vpiano is maybe 30% better in that respect, will you go and buy it?

It is OK and certainly interesting to do such comparisons (and I bet the Modartt team do so), but unless I win the lottery, the vpiano is an absolute no-go for me. I'd rather buy a new car or computer.

The "grand space" feature it's not a new feature exclusive from V-Piano. It have been arounf last 2 years or so on the most advanced sampled models of roldand digital pianos.

Gizmao wrote:

It is OK and certainly interesting to do such comparisons (and I bet the Modartt team do so), but unless I win the lottery, the vpiano is an absolute no-go for me. I'd rather buy a new car or computer.

Hi,
I now have headphones with a more natural response - Sennheiser HD595's, along with a good quality dedicated headphone amp. (Music Fidelity V-Can - nothing esoteric but I think it should be very good) This should be somewhat closer to a "reference" standard than my previous HD570's run off my hi-fi amp's headphone output.   I do not think I would have made any comment at all about excessive bass in the C3 instrument if I had started off with this setup.

Greg.

skip wrote:

I do not think I would have made any comment at all about excessive bass in the C3 instrument if I had started off with this setup.

So there we are, and the Modartt team sit deeply devastated by that comment, unable to even think of continuing their work

What to do now?

Gizmao wrote:

What to do now?

Now I think they need to add a bit more bass - there isn't quite enough.

Greg.
p.s Just in case my dry humour doesn't travel well over water - I *am* only joking.

skip wrote:

p.s Just in case my dry humour doesn't travel well over water - I *am* only joking.

You're welcome. So am I

Shall we start a poll about 'more bass' vs. 'less bass'?

I wrote:

I now have headphones with a more natural response - Sennheiser HD595's, along with a good quality dedicated headphone amp. (Music Fidelity V-Can - nothing esoteric but I think it should be very good) This should be somewhat closer to a "reference" standard than my previous HD570's run off my hi-fi amp's headphone output.   I do not think I would have made any comment at all about excessive bass in the C3 instrument if I had started off with this setup.

I'm having *serious* problems with my new hardware and I'm right back where I started, on my old HD570's run through my hi-fi's headphone output - I now have to withdraw all of the above because I don't trust *any* of the equipment I purchased yet.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (07-03-2009 07:15)

skip wrote:

I'm having *serious* problems with my new hardware and I'm right back where I started...

What kind of problems? I was considering getting a pair of 595s myself because of the rave reviews I've read (currently using Sennheiser 212Pros, cheaper closed phones) maybe they're not such a good idea? I also heard someone on another forum say they blew a pair of 555 (cheaper but still good version of the 595) with too much bass (like you might get from a piano?) which makes me question the quality a little.

I am documenting my problems here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bass-c...ce-246669/

My posts start at #12.

Greg.

Thanks Skip.

skip wrote:

I am documenting my problems here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bass-c...ce-246669/

My posts start at #12.

Greg.

Very interesting - I see you have a pair of HD 570's.  I bought a pair a few years ago when I mistakenly thought I had blown out my HD340's.

After using the HD340's for about ten years, I was quite disappointed in the 570 set (they cost a fair bit more than the 340's, and that was at a discount audio store).  The 570's seem too "bassy", and definitely are not as good in the high treble.  I certainly wouldn't describe the sound as "crisp" - muddy would be more accurate.

I have a pair of Yamaha MSP5 powered bi-amp monitors, and I can't tell the difference between these and the 340's when mixing or listening.  The 570's are used for watching/listening to wmv's.

Glenn

Got some HD-595's again. All I can say is that the overall impression when I compare them to the 570's, without examining with a microscope, is that they are quite similar. I'm sure many will laugh at this but that's what I think. Both sound very good.  I can hear differences between the two but I'd need some time to work out what those differences are. I'm certainly not going to toss the 570's.

Greg.

skip wrote:

UPDATE: If you're wondering, YES, I do prefer the C3 Wornout preset to the other C3 presets.

Greg.

this preset (worn-out) has provided me with the most cathartic artificial piano-playing experience, very close to the intimacy i feel through a real piano. and much more substantial than the unemotive sample library pianos.

i am very greatful to be able to finally have that depth available to me in a split-second record-ready environment.

outstanding!!

I've been avoiding Wornout out of sheer stubborness - I refuse to accept that I could prefer a worn out Steinway over one in good condition.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (20-03-2009 12:27)

Now that's just prejudice!

Hard work and guts!

I must admit that I, too, am _very_ fond of the "worn out" setting.  In fact, I've created all of my variants thus far from that setting.   

"Our developers, who art in Toulouse, hallowed be thy physical-models.
Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

I think "Worn Out" is a bad name for it.  I'd rather call it "Worn In"...
Perfect instruments don't sound good, period.  I don't want my guitar to sound like 6 pure sine waves.  The old analogue synths are so much more in demand because of the smooth distortion inherent in their filters and oscillators.  Being a bit worn-in myself, though, I do wish my back was a bit closer to perfect pitch...

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

I too do like the 'worn-in' The irregularities in the model make virtual piano playing yet more believable.

1+ for this Worn-out model. Does it have a different partial structure--are the amplitudes of the partials different from those in the standard instrument?

It's like Clint Eastwood, old but still making good works  !
So why not cal it C3- Eastwood ?    ;-)

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-03-2009 16:19)

Thanks for the fantastic update! The microphone set-up feature is something I'd always hoped for, but never thought a company would bother to do. At first I had the "muddy" impression another user had, but then I realized that I could get what I wanted by moving the microphones around. The C3 feels more expressive than the C2. More power and at the same time more subtlety.
I appreciate that you've made this major update available for free.