Topic: Tribute to Pianoteq album

After a few days playing around with Pianoteq, I'm still just as excited as the first time I tried it, and reading all the great things that are put into it for the futur, I must say that this plugin (and the technology behind it) is giving me faith in science again.

While I'm saving up to buy the full version, I'm still having great fun with the demo version (thanks for such a great demo policy by the way).
As I want to encourage the development of this technology, and that I don't have enough money to buy a few thousand versions, I thought we could maybe create a collaborative "Tribute to Pianoteq" album (that we could maybe publish under some creative commons licence), and really have fun twisting this plugin in all the ways possible.

I've done a first song, that you can find in the files section, here's the direct link for the lazy guys: Playbaq

Please feel free to leave a message if you're intrested in the project, I'm sure it would be quite some fun.

[EDIT]
Here is the full list of songs that I will complete as time goes on

Playbaq
Sus train
Sus tain
Sus picious
Sus pension
Sus hi
Sus sing
Desert Theme

[/EDIT]

Matt

Last edited by mtyas (20-07-2007 17:00)

Re: Tribute to Pianoteq album

hello
pianoteq is e very good program, he is like real piano! I am a singer and a composer in hip hop and rap so i can give my songs for the album with pianoteq in the interior and with my voice
there is more people who want ?

Hi dj riccio
First of all thank you very much for your vote ^^ and... yes! I think it would be a wonderful idea the "Tribute to Pianoteq" ablum would have several styles: From classical music to hip hop and techno too.
So me too I want to participate in that album, of course with your permission mtyas (lol)

I would like to participate also, but I don't know with what yet

maybe something ambient, but then again I'd like to make a song where the piano isn't drowned  in lots of reverb or effects so that people can think, it's a real piano...

CosmicD,
It's enough to say it once (lol), Okay okay...my present does not sound like a usual piano, it's that the bells-like sound wouldn't have been possible without the authentic base sound Pianoteq provides.
You might think such an album should contain classical piano sound, and you're right.
Now, how would it be if we were to produce an album across the centuries:
We could start with some classical music (first generation pianos), followed by some rhodes improvisations (second generation), and then with rock and pop tracks (third generation), to end up with hip hop (dj riccio), ambient (yours) and techno (mine)!

I'm happy to use a fourth generation piano. And I'd like you to stop insulting reverb, please! It's one of the nicest effects ever!

Last edited by VegaNova (05-06-2007 01:01)

Is there a longer version of your dream girl mp3? If yes can you post a link here or upload?
Yokohama

Anyone can participate. I think we'll wait to the competition is over, so that we don't get everything confused, then we'll start posting audio songs.
The only rule, I think we should impose, is no other sound source is allowed (only the pianoteq).
So no voice, no other synths, no guitars, samples or anything.
But you can use any effect you want (let say that if you use a vocoder, you'll need to use the pianoteq as formant and carrier).

What do you think ?

hello
in hip hop i need to put rithme and bass also! i agree to use only pianoteq for the melodies and add effects. it is impossible to rap on a solo piano song haha

I've done a few extra tracks, still only pianoteq (and very little fx for the moment):

Sus Train is the first one and Sus Tain is the second one.

Hope you enjoy them

Matt

Just did an extra song, using only the pianoteq, as usual, but also a rotary emulation, a few compressors, a delay and some reverb (and usual eq's and limiter).

Hope you enjoy it:

Sus Picious

(I know, silly name scheme, can't help doing such silly things)

Matt

Thanks Matt for your audio demos, they are really nice. We would love to hear more. By the way, we find your ideas of a 'Pianoteq tribute album' very pleasant and interesting indeed.

I'm still working on more, but I must admit that time is not on my side, as the summer season starts, so does all the animations in my town, and as it's my job that all goes well, I'm doing days of 18 hours, and my ears get a bit too tired, so the next ones will come a bit later.
Lets say that hopefully at the end of this summer, I'll have about 12 songs finished. That seems a good plan.
Now I just have to see if my banker will let me buy this beauty in the next few days to get the missing notes. (And my girlfriend keeps on saying, mend those flipping notes, so she won't be a obstacle )

If you, well intentioned guys, will make music in tribute to pianoteq, let me remamber just one details, friendly speaking.

Pinaoteq it's a project to recreated real piano sounds like never did before.
     So the music tribute shoul duse setting that give a natual sound, and not synthesize sound.

Synthesize setting choices would sounds more like a tribute to the 80's than a tribute to pianoteq itself.

If I follow your sense of thoughts, things like record scratching, guitar amp distortion, circuit bending or any contemporary way of  playing musical instruments should not be done because it goes totaly against the 1st purpose of the instrument.
I don't think so.
And if it was the case of this plugin, I don't think they would have given us so many parameters to tweek. This plug in is a synth, so lets use it as a synth.
And from what I recall, the sounds this synth can produce are far off from what we could hear in the 80's. Pianoteq is no DX7, just as the DX7 was no Moog

Thank you, mtyas. Pianoteq is a very powerful and peculiar synthesiser whose prime purpose is to accurately emulate the characteristics of a piano. If you limit yourself to the piano part, that's a valid choice.

But it's not the only choice.

As far as I know, there are not yet any masters of pianoteq the synth; but there will be.  I don't have the tools at the moment (lack of money) but I want to apply attack and LFO modulation to arbitrary parameters. (This is not a feature request--better leave that sort of stuff to Logic et al.) There's so much to be done with this very interesting and organic synthesiser that I get all excited just thinking about it.

You thoughts makes sense, I must agree now.

What about this?   :

Create most of musics with at least one natural piano sound, and other instruments that would also be Pianoteq, but modified to emulate bass, organ etc. Also some few musics with any soun you want or without natural piano if wished.

We could share FXP or try "The best member FXP shot", in case is need a instrument that there is no FXP ready yet.

By that it would be a nice balance beetween the two intentions of the Pianoteq Project. Recreate natural piano behavior sound, and give a vast flexibility to modify the instrument reaching levels as turn into another instrument.

lol ? maybe I can't work on the first tribute album because wel.. my demo has expired on my 2 machines and , I didn't win the conest and, Ill have to wait 6 months to buy something else ...

have pitty on me

CosmicD wrote:

lol ? maybe I can't work on the first tribute album because wel.. my demo has expired on my 2 machines and , I didn't win the conest and, Ill have to wait 6 months to buy something else ...

have pitty on me

We will release the new version, 2.1, soon (I guess in a couple of weeks, not decided yet as it is still under beta testing). The trial version will give you 45 new days for evaluation.

ah.. cool:)

Ok, two new songs finished while I'm waiting for some bad news that may cost me too much money to buy the full version this month. Hopefully All will go well, but I have my doubts. Anyway, enough of me, here are the song:

Sus pension

Sus hi

Still using only the pianoteq as sound source. Did a bit of glitching in the Sus pension song, and a few light effects on both (reverb, eq, comp, delay)

Hope you enjoy

Matt

Okay, one more before the demo runs out, and just before I really start working like mad, so I'll be back as  soon as I have more time.

A pop'ish song with quite a bit of eq and compressors and distortions, but still just the pianoteq as sound source.

Sus sing

Have fun

Ok, I havn't given up, just got a bit less time these days.
Here is a song using one of the pianoforte sounds (tweeked a bit)
Hope you enjoy it:

Desert Theme

sounds great! Surprising what can come out from tweeking the pianoforte sounds!

Yes, the pianoforte sounds can make some great harpsicord sounds.
Here is a new song using it, as well as quite a few other presets (tweeked like mad, as usual).
With a rhum

Hope you enjoy it ! (rhum is not needed, but can help )