Topic: What will happen to real pianos????

I was thinking, after see the V-Piano video and sample from upcoming version of Pianoteq.:

" The moddeling technology it's close to take the world of digital pianos."

Sound Physical Modeling will probably became the standart of high quality digital pianos in just few years. We will have many digital pianos with hundred velocity layers, all sympathetic resonance effects, like Pianoteq.

We will be able to program the software to a piano model, and change the tuning or some characteristics in the middle of the music performance, let's say.  Composers will start to write music to use such resources.

So, what will happen with the ral pianos???   What will happen with real piano manufactures?

Supose Pianoteq solve all timbre problems, and a great progressive hammer action keyboard with scapment was developed with direct controls to pianoteq sliders. And of course, great sound monitor.  Would you feel any desire to have a real piano in you home?

A simple compact home piano it's already no match for a very good digital piano, since have a sigle tone, and other limitations.

Will real pianos still be desirable?

Top pianos like a Bosendorfer Imperial will always have their use, and charm. But for smaller home pianos...   I supose most manufacturers will close doors.

Last edited by Beto-Music (19-01-2009 19:32)

Re: What will happen to real pianos????

Beto:

Permit me to ramble a bit:.

It's hard to imagine that anything will match a magnificent concert grand piano.  Part of the allure is the sheer size of one - it stretches almost three metres away from the player.  What other instrument matches this (pipe organs have the internals hidden away, and the pipes are often out of site of the organist).  The grand piano is called grand for a good reason - it is truly imposing in stature and sound.

However, it is theoretically possible to equal or surpass the sound emanating from a grand piano, and I suspect in ten years it will be commonplace.

The reason is because the design of an excellent grand incorporates many compromises.  Do you really want the noise of the dampers rising from or falling onto the strings?   Some people will because this has become an integral part of the sound of a piano.

Do you really think the "thunk" of the hammers returning to rest is a sweet musical sound?  I don't.

We can eliminate these sounds now - in time as we learn to appreciate the purity of sound without wooden parts colliding, these extraneous sounds may seem less desirable.

In a modeled piano, the high register strings can be "longer" and thus cleaner with more overtones and sustain - an acoustic piano is compromised because the longer strings would require a much higher tension which would in turn stress the frame and require much heavier construction.  And it would change the classical shape, and the purists would cry foul.

I think Pianoteq is modeling these extraneous sounds because these sounds have been indelibly inked into our perception of what the piano “should” sound like.

There is much in an acoustic piano that is carried on because of tradition.  Look at the colour of the felts in the strings - most use red.  I've seen green and it looked strange.  I'm conditioned to see red felt.

The modeled piano is not subject to a myriad of physically limiting constraints.  In effect it can go forward to achieve and produce sounds that a gifted performer may want to use.

I've played countless uprights manufactured in the first part of the last century - I don't recall playing one of those that could match Pianoteq.  There have been some newer Yamaha and Kawai uprights (late 1900's and current) that are very good, but they are expensive.  And they require tuning, regulating etc. that adds to the cost and inconvenience.

I think that the smaller acoustic pianos is where modeled pianos will first make significant inroads.  By significant I mean that the small acoustics will disappear.  In fact they already have been largely replaced by DP's.

If the smaller acoustic pianos can disappear, how long will the next step take?

I don't know the answers for the short term and the long term is a guess, but I think modeling is going to be a paradigm shift, just as the solid body electric guitar has been (want to try some acid rock with an acoustic guitar?)

Glenn

I think that's an interesting question to ask even now.  With pianoteq, or even any sampled solution.. 

Let's say for practice, would you rather get a small upright, or a good keyboard controller + vsti, or a good dp?  It's hard to say, because a tiny upright will cost more, and also limits practicing to regular hours.  With vsti or dp solution, you get half acceptable keybed (sometimes inacceptable), with livable sound that won't tear your ears off.  And ultimately, you are practicing, so which will improve your playing more?  It's really hard to say.

For technique, you'll always need the real thing, no doubt about it.  But to just learn a song, or to develop your understanding of a song (for jazz improv, etc) perhaps the accuracy of the action, sound isn't so important, as it's more of a mental activity.  But of course, it'll be better with an acoustic grand, etc...  just saying for bare minimum.

For me, I learn faster on an acoustic because the sound keeps me interested, and it always sounds fresh.  This is mostly a problem in sampled pianos, but also to a certain degree in physmod.. there's just something about an actual audio phenomenon taking place (in a real acoustic) that is physically different from hearing it from speakers or headphones.

That's not to say improvements can't be made on the piano..  there are companies that are still improving on the structure / technology, all that is cool.  Seems the reason manufacturers need to keep to certain traditions is to maintain backward compatibility with many music written for piano..  seems to make sense to me, but I guess there's nothing stopping them from making something very different. 

Problem is, if something is different enough, then new techniques need to be developed and taught, new music needs to be written to exploit it, etc.  Cool for a new instrument, but seems tough for something as established as a piano.  But as Glenn pointed out, it happened with the electric guitar, so why not for piano, right?  Actually, it already happened with piano through ep and synths, but anyway..

But it's sort of like cinema and tv.  tv didn't replace cinema, it just became its own thing.  It's not one thing over the other I think.  To say that some day technology will replace acoustics is a misunderstanding.  That's what synth builders said in the 70's.  They started off modeling acoustic audio phenomenons, and ended up with an instrument of its own.

The beauty of any instrument is in its limitations.  It is a set grammar, a set of rules.  And you write or speak whatever you want with it.  Just as nit picking the faults and inefficiencies of the english language is of little value, searching for ways to improve an engraved set of rules seems counterintuitive, especially because those rules are valuable because they are solidly engraved.  When you play basketball, those rules better stay consistent, or the definition of the game fades.  So, while I think it is important to ponder the possibilities of an alternate piano, the tradition of piano is best left as it is.  We just add new things to it.

kensuguro wrote:

The beauty of any instrument is in its limitations.  It is a set grammar, a set of rules.  And you write or speak whatever you want with it.  Just as nit picking the faults and inefficiencies of the english language is of little value, searching for ways to improve an engraved set of rules seems counterintuitive, especially because those rules are valuable because they are solidly engraved.  When you play basketball, those rules better stay consistent, or the definition of the game fades.  So, while I think it is important to ponder the possibilities of an alternate piano, the tradition of piano is best left as it is.  We just add new things to it.

This is well-spoken! +1

Hard work and guts!

Impressive reflection !!!

kensuguro, are you the writer of Obama's discouses?

:-)

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-01-2009 17:24)

Compare these pairs: acoustic instruments to their electronic emulators, and a watch with mechanical movement to an electronic/quartz watch. The latter in each pair can be more precise, simpler in service and not so expensive… but… you know… the real thing is the real thing

They’ll never be gone. Even cheap uprights.

When cheap upright acoustic pianos no longer sound as good or play as well as a modeled piano, that will soon be the end of them.

The clavichord was an acoustic instrument that was virtually replaced by the piano and became extinct.

There are a few clavs being used today, but they were built to reproduce the sound of the music that was written for them.

I think that's a theoretical point.  It makes sense in theory, but in practice, there's a lot you need beyond a good physical model to replace an upright.

First thing that comes to mind is, figuring out a way to reproduce the output of a modeled piano to mimic that of any piano is a pretty complex task.  To reduce an output of any instrument to stereo output and to call it a replacement I think is too much of a simplification.  I don't think it's impossible, but it's rather pointless at least for now.  I mean, v-piano is estimated $6000 (sound output completely out of the equation), and a used U1 is $3000 or so.  The math is quite simple to me.

Oh wait... are you talking about bad spinets and consoles?  Ya, those can be replaced any day I think..  I think they can be replaced with even a so-so digital piano.  A digital piano will probably have better sound, and possible better action!

But it's still hard to say, because you might be able to get an well regulated spinet for $800, but only get a mediocre digital piano with questionable action..  then maybe the well regulated spinet might win simply because of a more accurate action. (maybe not sound)

Of course, even a more basic problem is usability.  I live in an apartment, so I couldn't practice on a concert grand even if I had one.  So, for me, a silent piano or a very good digital piano + vsti is, perhaps not the most authentic, but the most practical solution.  And if I can get more hours of practice that way, then that is the better solution.

So, for a modeled solution to be able to replace an upright, it'll need a comparable (or better) action and comparable sound output.  Taking into account the complexities of a digital piano with multiple speakers, ever improving physical model software, changing playback (processing) hardware...  There are still lots of benefits for having a mediocre but well maintained upright because at the very least, it is all self contained, and it won't become obsolete.  It's actually all the digital piano products that are becoming extinct year after year, while a U1 from the 70's in good condition can easily out perform most modern digital pianos.

I don't think it's an unachievable milestone.  I think it'll actually be cool if we had the "ultimate digital piano" option because it's much more convenient, and very relevant for practicing.  But it's very, very frickin' hard.  But I want it!

Last edited by kensuguro (22-01-2009 05:27)

Physmod is getting better, while the cheap acoustic pianos seem to be getting worse.

The technology of an acoustic piano, no matter how poorly built, is still very complex.

If DP's haven't already replaced (or started to replace) the cheap acoustic pianos, then why are there so many DP's in existence, compared to the year 1990 when I bought my first Technics?

I won't suggest that physmod pianos will replace acoustic pianos suddenly or even in many years, but the change (at least partial) seems as inexorable and inevitable as the death of the clavichord.  Well the clav didn't quite die off either - there are still many of them in our living rooms - aren't there?  LOL

The biggest drawback I've encountered with an acoustic (I owned a Yamaha G2 for about 27 years), is recording one.  The requisite equipment is cost prohibitive.  Recording a DP or one using physmod is far simpler and cheaper, and the recorded midi file can be manipulated far easier than the recorded wave file from an acoustic.  Unless you add Yamaha's costly diskclavier system.

Last edited by Glenn NK (22-01-2009 07:19)

quote: "Physmod is getting better, while the cheap acoustic pianos seem to be getting worse."
+1!
And add to this the need to tune them...

This question is not so straightforward, though. Let me remind to some esteemed discouteers that the mankind not always holds correlation between a better device and a better result this device can produce. Watches with mechanical movement, fountain pens, vintage cars… fur coats… (should I continue?). These goods are rather a matter of respect, as well as an acoustic upright at our apartment. Or it’s a kind of ineradicable snobbery.

It seemed to be not correct to create such a sequence: replacing a clavichord by a piano is comparable to replacing a piano by its electronic emulation. You see, the historical period of a clavichord was the very beginning of “classical music”, when means of expression were at their early stage. As far as new tracks of virgin soil were been brought under cultivation composers and performers demanded more and more sophisticated instruments. That is why a clavichord wasn’t REPLACED by piano. It’s still there, in its late Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque eras. But it’s alive today — because it seems to be incorrect to perform on contemporary piano pieces by Bach or J. Kuhnau composed for a clavichord.

But what about a grand piano? Do contemporary pianists demand a more sophisticated instrument? The answer is: no, they don’t. Look at philharmonic placards — Mozart, Chopin, Schumann, Skryabin, Rakhmaninov… — this music is top rated. A piano was perfect enough for that time. It hasn’t changed dramatically, only a slow improvement took place (by the way, mentioned here and there in posts S. Erard is one of genius inventors…). Yes, “recording a DP or one using physmod is far simpler and cheaper, and the recorded midi file can be manipulated far easier than the recorded wave file from an acoustic” (Glenn NK). But I’m afraid it would be very difficult in the nearest future to make a professional classical pianist sit down at a physmod controller, even with perfect mechanics, on a philharmonic stage. I’m sure it’s not due to an ordinary snobbery.

(However such a piano performer could agree to play physmod piano, but under condition of accompaniment by Quantum Leap East West Symphonic Orchestra.)

Last edited by Igor (23-01-2009 11:43)

If DP's haven't already replaced (or started to replace) the cheap acoustic pianos, then why are there so many DP's in existence, compared to the year 1990 when I bought my first Technics?

I don't think whether a piece of equipment is popular or not is the way to measure whether it is successful or not.  It's an over generalization..  Many people own synths with a physmod violin (string), guitar (plucked string), reed, and brass...  maybe more than people who own the physical instrument..  still, these things are not "replacements"..  actually, physmod for those instruments have been around for a while, and are quite refined..  regardless, they are almost never used for performance, and aren't used for recording either.  It seems illogical, but that's just how it is.  Of course, the day "may" come, but that is in a scientific sense, giving even %1 the benefit of doubt.  Actually, they're being replaced by sample libraries in terms of production and recording, but not for performance.

But, as I think we agree that for bad spinets and consoles, even a mid range DP is much convenient and sounds better.  I think it's much better to practice on a so-so action and so-so sound, than be hindered by irregular action and bad sound.  A bad spinet or console isn't applicable for performance, so I won't even go there.

The biggest drawback I've encountered with an acoustic (I owned a Yamaha G2 for about 27 years), is recording one.  The requisite equipment is cost prohibitive.  Recording a DP or one using physmod is far simpler and cheaper, and the recorded midi file can be manipulated far easier than the recorded wave file from an acoustic.  Unless you add Yamaha's costly diskclavier system.

I agree with you 100% about recording.  This is the same story with drums and orchestra.  For rapid production, ease of use, cost efficiency, and quick deploy are key.  In that sense, physmods (if it's done well) can easily replace an acoustic.  Even now, acoustics are mostly replaced by sample libraries because of convenience.  So, there definitely is a different between performance and recording, and for recording, physmod will be the holy grail.  Maybe not for classic, or solo piano projects, but for general mixes, definitely.

There's a big difference between when a piano is a means to an end (production tool) or when it's an end in itself (solo performance, etc).

Last edited by kensuguro (22-01-2009 20:04)

Maybe we should start working on the design of an acoustic piano that sounds like Pianoteq....?  If I could only have one, I'd rather have a mediocre acoustic than Pianoteq... Why ?  For when the power goes out... or the power supply... or during a storm when I don't want to chance it...  or when I want to reach in and strum or prepare...  but I am fortunate to have both.  And what about the romantic atmosphere of an acoustic....? ...and you don't hear the fan... or have to turn anything off... and you can hear it sympathizing with other odd sounds in the room, like when I stepped on an old carpet tack......  ( ...though if a Michelle Pfeiffer clone came with every download and I could play like Jack Baker.... )

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

You will think I'm crazy...

But I imagine a close future like that:

Composers would create specific great musics witha  touch of classic but made to be played in special modelled digital pianos.

There would be extra pedals to vary the piano lenght, hammer hardness, metalic sound, string material, sympathetic resonce, sound duration, unison etc. While playing these characteristics would be changed in a way to increase the musical feeling.

Well, what you thinl about that ?

not really...  historically, pieces that work only with specific instruments have not done too well.  It's not a crazy idea at all, it's actually the first thing that everyone does.. you write pieces to take advantage of the peculiarities of a new / interesting instrument.

It's artistically important I think, and it's a noble act.  But pieces like that are usually short lived because unless that specific feature becomes standardized, the piece cannot be played back properly, and so it becomes history.  A recording may remain, but that's pretty much it.. 

It's like encoding.  Let's say you encode audio in the newest, awesomest lossless audio codec.  If that codec got lost, and was forgotten in 2 years, your audio will never ever be played back again..  which sort of sucks.

See, what I don't understand is that some people (not just you Beto-Music) seem to expect strange things from a physmod synth...  variable timbre, out of this world controllability to make surreal sounds...  to me, it all sounds like what you'd get, or what we've been getting from just a general synthesizer for that past 40 years.  A general synthesizer (sample based, hybrid, subtractive, additive, fm, pm, granular, spectral, etc..) is much better at creating new sounds like that.  I mean, a physical model is not built for things like that in the first place.

I would much rather have a physmod piano that did what it's supposed to do... model whatever instrument it's trying to mimic, as best as technology allows.  If that can't be attained, then all the bells and whistles really don't mean anything.

Last edited by kensuguro (24-01-2009 18:25)

Well, I don't wait for weird things itself, like you suposed. But changes in a natural way of piano sound.  I talk about get the chance to change one aspect of a emulate piano, to another, along playing.

In some pieces there are segments where the righ hand and the left hand play like were giving responses on to each other, creating a music clime.  What about add more of such "dialog" by chaging few aspects?
  The changes would follow the logic of natural pianos, chaging from one aspect of one real piano to the aspect of another real piano.

I don't have a piece to give example.  Perhaps Toccata and Fugue from Bach, addapted for for piano. That have very nice moments of right hand "speaking" to left hand.
     Let's say a moment of "dialog" that use bass notes progressively going to trebble, to demonstrade a feeling of smoothing, of getting soft, calm, relaxing. This could also had a progressive softness of the hammers too.
     It's just a imaginary example. I'm sure there is many possibilities for many adjustable parameter.

I bet if Bach had such technology he would take the potentions to a special composition.   :-)

Last edited by Beto-Music (24-01-2009 22:55)

bach knew only a minute portion of what we now know about music, and we have all the cool toys!  lol, na just kidding.  I too wonder what some of the past greats would have done with what we have now, knowing what we know now.

Real pianos work when there's a power cut

Yes, but some" technoholics" persons in this forum probably don't work after a power cut.

:-)

feline1 wrote:

Real pianos work when there's a power cut

For me there are four main reasons for the good old acoustic.

1. The power undependance mentioned before.

2. On/Off Velocity detection isn't the full truth of it. You'll need way more sophisticated controllers, with a precise determination of the position of each key.

3. 3ms of latency just stay 3ms of latency. No matter how fast cpu's become, there will be a noticeable delay (acoustic stimuli with down to 2ms time between can be recognized as different).

4. You can't mess with the sound of an acoustic piano, standing somewhere in the room before you. I often accompany singers, and it's so damn hard to get the right mix for voice and piano, when the piano comes out of a speaker. It's like the sounds won't mix up in the right way. They don't fit into each other, if you can imagine. Maybe with some real extravagant amplifier and speaker system and some future pianoteq version, it will be possible, to get close to it. But for the price, this system would cost, I'd prefer the Steinway or Bösendorfer.

Don't get me wrong. Pianoteq is a marvellous thing, but you should see it as what it is: A substitute when there's no real thing at hand and a great instrument to create sounds.

Let me get somewhat off topic... For my lifetime I have been loving electronic music. This passion started whe I was three or four years old with the sound of "Switched-on Bach" of Wendy Carlos. So electronics and music were my way to go. But there was also a not-too-good spinet and an old upright piano, horribly out of tune, within my reach, and my parents had a lot of records with "classical" music played on conventional instruments that I listened to occasionally. In my early years I preferred the "pure" electronic sounds as children usually choose simple milk chocolate over an aromatic apple. Within the last fourty years the electronic sounds became more complex and so did my way of hearing. The extra "noises" and irragularities became more and more important. Samplers and their capability to endlessly repeat recorded matter like notes from "real" instruments made us aware of the "noisy" transients, the repitition of which made natural sounds machine-like. First that was an interesting effect, but musicians got tired of it and searched for a new quality of uniqueness of any single note that always had been given with natural instruments.
Physical modelling gives us back this uniqueness by emulating nature itself. Maybe the noise of releasing dampers is not desirable for everybody, but the point is, there is an actual want for more than "pure" sound of simple oscillators that produce simple waveforms.
Will real pianos survive? Why not? There are so many ways of perception that need to be supplied; It's the inner dimension of sound that I tried to explain above, but there is more than that, as Glenn NK suggested when mentioning the impressiveness of grand pianos (or Igor with the watches). Nowadays there are still musicians preferring tube amplifiers although they are voluminous, expensive, energy-guzzling and shock sensitive. Is it for the sound? Don't howl me down, but I am convinced you can build transistor amplifiers that sound exactly the same. No. It's the magic glow of the tubes, their physical warmth, It's how they feel in your hand when you replace one and how the wondrous metal construction inside the glass bulb looks. And it's made of components that are "handy". That's what a real piano is. Made of components that are handy. You could even do some repairing yourself. You know the components and what they do and what they sound like (hammers falling back, dampers and so on).
There will be less real pianos being sold as there are more economical ways to get their sound; but there will always be people who have space and money to get the real thing and who do not want to abandon the "real" experience of as many stimuli as possible.

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

Jope wrote:

Don't howl me down, but I am convinced you can build transistor amplifiers that sound exactly the same.

Great comment, but I have to insist, I'm sorry (don't want to howl you down).
By now there are no simulations that sound so much like a tube amplification that I wouldn't hear it (even in a mix).
That's due to the irregularity of the electron-cloud, which is a phenomenon that contains the "Many body problem" (part of quantum-physics) which is pretty hard to calculate and impossible for todays home-computers to do this in realtime regards to the fact, that you could define billions of states from which the tubes behaviour is a little different.

But in the sooner or later future, there will be quit perfect models.
So in general, I think you're right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqdSEaZ0...re=related

". . . He had planned three concerts where in two of them, he would destroy two grand pianos, and in one, he would burn his formal concert dress. He said that he would instead tour with an electronic keyboard around France to give informal concerts." from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7...h%C3%A2ble

Seems like this guy is in favor of the 21st century approach!