Re: Wishlist for Pianoteq V2.x

Since there is the feature of pitch bending in Pianoteq... How about an LFO with adjustable DC offset and a modulation matrix to feed its output to different parameters? One more step away from real pianos but towards guitars and related instruments...
Also a harp model seems not too far away.

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

I wrote in another thread that the maximum volume of the various presets should vary in proportion to the sound "power" of the piano (since the S.Erard preset sounded generally louder than other pianos). After several more hours of testing I think I've changed idea.

While that may seem at first a good idea and in favor of realism, actually I believe it's impractical for two reasons:

- Having presets which have different maximum (or close to maximum) loudness between each other makes sound recording problematic, as when preset changes are frequent between different recordings there is also need to adjust sound volume each time or to normalize peaks with a third party program to achieve a constant peak sound volume.

- It's good for dynamics control in the long term with a digital piano to practice with a constant peak sound volume. While a preset may sound at the right volume, another may seem too weak and could lead to an unconscious loudness compensation by playing with a heavier hand. This is bad especially for beginners and amateurs as it hinders a good dynamics control development and gets confusing/annoying after a while (when frequently changing presets). Default sound samples/sound tables in digital pianos have the same peak volume also for this reason.

-Therefore-
I think that peak sound volume should be normalized between every preset. Compared to the main C2 Chamber piano presets, some sound too weak (mostly historical pianoforti), others too loud (S.Erard). I'm aware that each piano has a different dynamics setting, but I'm talking about average loudness on high (mezzoforte and up) velocities.

----

There's also an other option I would like to have: one which allows the user to retain reverberation settings *only*, when changing presets with the digital piano. The idea is that when selecting a "concert hall" reverberation preset for example, the user actually wants to perform at a concert hall even after changing instruments.

Last edited by s12a (09-07-2008 02:39)

I for one like the amplitude of the Erard -- if all of the presets were to have the same volume, I would want them all to be as loud as it is.

Which leads to another question--how people are using the volume settings. I'll post in a new thread about this.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (17-07-2008 20:07)

I will risk my neck now, maybe some foolish came out, but here my weird sugestion:

-A special adjust for equalizer along key duration. I noticed that the warmth effect seens like a small difference from "trebble feeling" to some "bass feeling" along the key duration.  Sorry the lack of proper technical words, but it's like the note started to sound thin and finish sound more deep.

What I'm trying to explain is that the special equalizer adjust would act a little different from the begining of note duration in relation to the end.

Rust, Rot, Random Corrosion and Tuner's Business Card - 4 knobs in a hidden panel so the purists aren't frightened away.  (you think I'm kidding...)

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

- I think that sustain pedal noise, key release noise and key release duration that currently are in the options menu should be taken out of there, so that they can be saved as preset settings. Things like damper efficiency (or their number for example) should be possible to be individually configurable for each piano/preset.

- Make the sound output type (Headphones, speakers, etc) independent from preset or FXPs settings. As the user sound equipment does not (at least usually) change when changing presets, this setting should not change too. Maybe it would be better for it to go in the options menu.

- Add an option which allows to decide if the soft pedal should move the hammers sideways (like a true "una corda" pedal) or just bring them closer to the strings (like in a typical upright piano)

- Add an option to select the number of strings desired for each zone of the keyboard. It shouldn't have to be something complicated: most pianos have a section with notes with one strings (bass), one with two strings (bass-medium-bass keys) and one with three (medium and up). Have a limiter for bass keys (example: maximum two strings) if having too many strings there causes computational problems.

- Having a global string thickness setting could still be useful (instead of one slider for each section) if you don't want the user version of Pianoteq to be too much complicated.

- Include an option to set where the undampened strings section of the piano starts.

- All the above to be included in a fourth panel along with "Tuning", "Voicing", "Design". Major interface redesign needed.

- Bug correction: make default presets to have a fixed default volume. After opening a FXP file which has a custom volume setting, selecting another (default) preset does not reset it to +0 dB.

- Make FXP files to be selectable with midi program changes.

Last edited by s12a (17-07-2008 12:14)

Beto-Music wrote:

I will risk my neck now, maybe some foolish came out, but here my weird sugestion:

-A special adjust for equalizer along key duration. I noticed that the warmth effect seens like a small difference from "trebble feeling" to some "bass feeling" along the key duration.  Sorry the lack of proper technical words, but it's like the note started to sound thin and finish sound more deep.

What I'm trying to explain is that the special equalizer adjust would act a little different from the begining of note duration in relation to the end.

Beto-music:

Changing the ratio of your Direct Duration setting to your Soundboard Impedance setting may help you to reduce the early high frequencies and get the sound that you want. Try moving both sliders towards the left. I often have both the Direct Duration slider and the Impedance slider almost all the way to the left. (For both, only almost to the left: the interplay between these two settings--there is no formula or rule, exactly, for me--has an enormous effect on the sound.) Playing with this proportion should get rid of any problems you have with the note sounding too brittle or bright at the start.

You might also try boosting, in the EQ window, some frequencies around 340-420 hz. Not all of them: try raising a specific narrow band by putting two anchors that stay at 0, and then just raise a narrow band in between them. This area between 340-420 contains some nice resonances on some presets such as the M1-Rock, (at first I thought they were the freqs of the soundboard resonance, but they're actually the fundamentals in this area), so you can get nice full sounds. The exact freq(s) you want will vary with other settings and other presets. (But, but, but boosting freqs here is going to have a very different effect as you change the relation of the Direct Duration and Impedance sliders.)

Using splits via Cantabile\Cantabile lite may help, too: you may find that different settings, including EQ settings for different ranges, may let you create the sound that you want. Don't let fear of creating splits cause a problem--the first and only time you have to create the splits, you may at first feel a little lost, but once you create a 4-way keyboard split, you can save it as a Cantabile file (with Save As in Cantabile) then use the same arrangement of split points for each of the presets and then just load that arrangement. In other words, once you create a single set of splits, you can then open it, load the Erard, or the M1-Jazz, etc into each split, and then save all of that as a separate Cantabile file that loads fast, so each preset has a four-way split version. Very clean.

Sorry for the long post. Let us know what you hear or still want to hear. We're all still learning just how much can be done.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (24-07-2008 15:06)

Hi,

s12a wrote:

There's also an other option I would like to have: one which allows the user to retain reverberation settings *only*, when changing presets with the digital piano. The idea is that when selecting a "concert hall" reverberation preset for example, the user actually wants to perform at a concert hall even after changing instruments.

Possibly it could be a workable solution to add a "Lock" option (button or checkbox) to various settings such as equalizer or reverb.
When a new file is loaded, then the locked sections will not be overwritten. Also there should be a possibility to save the locked parameters only - or alternatively a possiblity to load the locked params only without changing other params.

Its similar on my yamaha piano, some of the params can be locked, from there I got the idea.

Just an idea...

Peter

Hi there,

i´m new here and i haven´t read all the comments, but there is one thing which is really important when playing live. Usually when connecting Kontakt or Mainstage
to a midi-device every program directly reacts on my volume pedal MC 11 for volume.
Pianoteq does not react.
Is it possible to program it on my own ? I´m just using it for some days.

Besides:
One thing is really incredible in Pianoteq. I have never played a thing like this where
you can hear the sound is cutting through everything. Pianoteq does without any additional effects. That´s really great.

Greetings

PTC

....i forgot one wish.

It would be great to have full screen size view.  This is very helpful when playing on stage.

Greetings

PTC

Hi

Small wish regarding the metronome:
It is hard to control the tempo because only when I close the modal tempo form I hear to updated tempo.

So a couple of suggestions -
a) play the selected tempo even before the user presses "ok". If the user presses cancel - just play the original metronome form

b) I think it would be useful to have shortcut keys to control the tempo (and perhaps the volume) of the metronome without opening the form.

All the best,
Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

I am requesting two features related to live performance (the main reason I use Pianoteq):

1)An easy way to select from a list of fxp files within the program or from a MIDI control.

I think you should be able to control every aspect of Pianoteq by MIDI controls, so you don't have to grab your mouse and keyboard in the middle of a performance.

2)The ability to create a midi file playlist, so Pianoteq can be used to play back a whole list of songs, rather than a single song. Also, allow the song/playlist to repeat.

This would be very useful for those situations when you are playing at an event and want to take a break and let the piano play background music by itself for awhile.

Is that possible to add all request to pianoteq, without get a giant interface, similar to a 747 Airplane control panell???

PTC wrote:

....i forgot one wish.

It would be great to have full screen size view.  This is very helpful when playing on stage.

Greetings

PTC

This. Right here. +10!

Hard work and guts!

I'm sure this has been said before, but I want to at least reinforce the issue, either way.  The ONE thing I absolutely HATE about Pianoteq is that when you load an fxp file, and then play awhile, and maybe record something, you FORGET which file you opened!  This is a real distraction to me.  There has to be a way it can be programed that the name of an fxp file shows up in the interface.  I realize that it does show which piano is being used, but that doesn't really help.  If the piano can be put there on the interface, why can't the fxp file preset also show?

I guess if I didn't have special fxp files, and just used the presets as they arrived with the software, there wouldn't be a problem.  But to me, being able to design your own presets, and I mean LOTS of them, is half the fun!

And if I didn't love this product so much, it souldn't be a problem to me.

By the way: I'm kind of old, so that magnifies the problem, believe me!

Music is the fuel of my soul engine

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned having a problem with the Global Resonance setting--that the sound seemed to come from above the lid. Need to clarify--only the upper treble notes on some presets seem to have this sound. The Global Resonance in the bass is very good.

(That's one advantage of using splits--you can reduce this setting in the treble and raise it in the bass.)

On time of key or damper pedal release string start vibrating on different frequences. It's well heard when key is released slowly as on folloing sample

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...elease.mp3

I really miss this real piano "feature" on PTQ ...

priith wrote:

On time of key or damper pedal release string start vibrating on different frequences. It's well heard when key is released slowly as on folloing sample
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...elease.mp3
I really miss this real piano "feature" on PTQ ...

I agree.   This is one of those subtle acoustic nuances that would be nice to have.  A Frequency Envelope of sorts on the final Release & Decay of the Amplitude Envelope, to put it in synth terms.

I'm sure a lot of these suggestions would be welcome additions. However, for me, I'm quite happy with existing possibilities to tweak the models. What I would like to see are more models, and not just any models.

I sense a tilt toward the classical when it comes to adding new models. I would imagine I'm not the only Pianoteq user coming from the rock/pop school of hammering keys, for whom additional concert grands, or historic instruments would be of limited use. (We got the CP-80, which was a superb addition, but we're still under-represented I think ). For people like me I think electro-mechanical models would be a top priority, like the Rhodes MK I and II and a good ole Wurlitzer. The existing ones from other vendors are not good enough in my opinion, and I'm positive Modartt would blow everything else out of the water if they put their mind to it. Could an admin give us a hint if we should expect this, or is electro-mechanical outside the realm of what Modartt does?

I couldn't think of anything else to improve an outstanding product. Maybe add an option to choose between various costs in terms of CPU hits? (NI does this with some of their more intense software instruments). For those with shiny new Quad cores more CPU-expensive models might be nice to have. Don't know if this is feasible in Pianoteq though. Oh, and a nice upright would be great of course .

Would be nice to have a "virtual room" window where you could define the piano placement in the stereo image.

Also I personally would appreciate a bit more complex reverb.

Don't know if this has been asked before but I would like to have the possibility to do EQ fine tuning in a larger window. It is a very small window right now and to get a sound closer to what I want I might use a lot of EQ key points. In the current window size it is hard to do - if it would be possible to click a button and have an EQ window the width of the Pianoteq interface, that would help....

thanx
Hans

I´ve only just very recently downloaded the trial, but I love it to bits, and will get a license as soon as possible.

Anyway, what I would love to see is MIDI control of the metronome, as metronome speed and metronome start / stop is the only controls I actually need to manipulate when practising. Sometimes I adjust the metronome as often as every few seconds, making it a bit of a hassle always having to reach for the mouse and the computer screen.

One more suggestion from me.
I would like to see a 64 bit version!

EvilDragon wrote:
PTC wrote:

....i forgot one wish.

Greetings

PTC

This. Right here. +10!

I would like this too, and a nice picture of the modelled piano to look at like the nice pictures on the "add-on" site.
PunBB bbcode test

The Walter pianoforte sounds very good, thanks Philippe.
It was Mozart's favourite pianoforte.

Our Christmas gift come a bit later, but came.   ;-)

By the way, the original model Walter pianoforte it's still fully functional. What about record both, the original and the pianoteq add-on, to compare the sound?

In addition to desiring a dedicated midi number for Dynamics, there is another wish - which has been expressed previously by others albeit with slightly different wording:

When the lower bass of a decent sized grand is pounded, these notes have an almost "growly" sound.  The frequency profile of the bass notes of an acoustic piano changes more noticeably than do the treble notes with increased velocities.

The Yamaha C5 is a good example (200 cm = 6'-7").  My piano re-builder friend has one in his showroom.  His only complaint with the sound of Pianoteq is that these lower notes won't growl when hit hard.  If he could get this sound from Pianoteq, I believe that he'd purchase PT in a heartbeat.

Glenn NK wrote:

When the lower bass of a decent sized grand is pounded, these notes have an almost "growly" sound.  The frequency profile of the bass notes of an acoustic piano changes more noticeably than do the treble notes with increased velocities.

And I've commented adnauseum on this subject myself... but here's one more observation.  I feel like the nature of the velocity sensors on all MIDI keyboards is missing the ability to simulate this "pounding".  It is much too easy to reach hex value 127 -though this is fine for a lot of playing.  But with a real piano action, there is that extra thunder you get when you take it a bit further and get the felt smoking.   Accessing that sound/velocity parameter with a standard MIDI keyboard is too easy and you would not want that sound with just standard hard playing (and you wouldn't want to break your controller, either).  I think a current/feasible workaround is to have another pedal, like a MIDI controller foot pedal (easily configured with MIDI Solutions and other magic boxes) that would then kick in that extra growl in the upper velocity ranges by altering the Pianoteq model, applying an effect, etc.  You still wouldn't hear it all the time or in lower velocities, but it would be there when you hit hard, so long as that pedal was pushed.  Does this make sense to anyone else, or should I get back on my medication..?