Re: What's the status of Pianoteq's next upgrade?

Roland usually have their own real pianos, to get sample to prepare their digital pianos. So we have no Steinway or Bosendorfer in Roland digital pianos.

In the case of V-Piano they keep the same behavior, and avoit emulation of Steinway or Bosendorfer, or any trademark real pianos.

Do you think that modelled technology must avoid trademark pianos?

Re: What's the status of Pianoteq's next upgrade?

Beto-Music wrote:

Roland usually have their own real pianos, to get sample to prepare their digital pianos. So we have no Steinway or Bosendorfer in Roland digital pianos.

In the case of V-Piano they keep the same behavior, and avoit emulation of Steinway or Bosendorfer, or any trademark real pianos.

Do you think that modelled technology must avoid trademark pianos?

I don't know of any Roland acoustic grand piano, but I'm willing to learn differently.

Modeled pianos are no different than current DP's - as far as I know, none of the current DP's claim to be modeled after any specific brand of piano.  I've been to a very large Yamaha dealer a number of times, and know one salesperson very well - he's never claimed that the top of the line CLP's sound like the Yamaha concert grand (this may be because it doesn't sound line one either).  LOL.

They may want to avoid using the names of Bosendorfer, Yamaha, Fazioli, Steinway, etc. but it would be difficult for anyone to prove that a modeled piano copied an acoustic piano.

Also, consider this - there has never been a perfect acoustic piano - they are all compromises in design.

Then, there is the manufacturing process which introduces variations.  The soundboard is made of Sitka spruce (or some other spruce) which is a tree.  Wood from trees is never perfect.

My piano-restorer friend says that copper wound strings have variations from string to string which affects the sound - which string is "correct"?

It is impossible to make two identical Steinway pianos.  Or any other brand for that matter.

So if Pianoteq models a German Steinway, which one would they copy?  I think the obvious answer is that they pick the "best" features of all of them.

Can Steinway sue Pianoteq for copying the Steinway sound?  Steinway would have to prove which piano was copied.  And Steinway doesn't make digital pianos.  What would be the basis of their lawsuit?

If I had a voice exactly like one of the Three Tenors, could one of them sue me?  I doubt it.