Topic: Dynamics in PT

I must say that PT is so far the most amusing software piano to play. But I have one strong wish for the future. I wish more of dynamic in the sound. As it is now I get a feeling I can't reach above ff. It is not only about volume but of sound. The sound you get when you push a grand piano to it's limit. I have tried all kind of tweaking but I still found there is something missing. It's hard to put words on and english is not the language I use to express myself. Maybe someone else out there have this feeling?

Re: Dynamics in PT

Hi Harald,

yes and no. Not now, since ...

My Kawai MP8II has the ability to create user-specific velocity profiles. You tell it to learn, play softly and then with high dynamics and it creates a special velocity curve for you. And this works also fine with Pianoteq.

So it is not only a question about the software but also the source of the data. If a keyboard does not answer to your playing with the right velocity values dynamics suffer a lot.

Rainer

Rainer,  is it possible for you to publish your fxp, fo we could share in your velocity curve?  Sounds like a good thing to me.  Thanks

Music is the fuel of my soul engine

Try this FXP: Dynamic thunder S. Erard.fxp    See files.

I agree that Pianoteq, even when the velocity curves it's adjusted to your midi conroller, have no enough loudness and FFF. Indeed I feel like it have a bit less than FF.

This FXP of velocity curves it's a attempt to create more strong strikes, by reducingt gradualy the less stronger and weakers strikes. After increase volume a bit it works like a little trick to give the feeling of more powerfull strikes.

Here is an example of what I mean. The attacks in fff within the cluster chords played in forte. The piano is a Steinway model C.
http://web.comhem.se/pianista/Example.mp3

HaraldS wrote:

Here is an example of what I mean. The attacks in fff within the cluster chords played in forte. The piano is a Steinway model C.  http://web.comhem.se/pianista/Example.mp3

My personal feeling is that this sound is a product of complex rumbling and distortion of the strings when struck "violently" -and a very cool and useful sound, IMHO.  Throw in echoes generated by the piano frame vibrating back into the soundboard and strings and all the other sympatheticness and you get a complex, thick crunch or roar or whatever your particular piano gives you.  The Pianoteqnicians may be attempting to model this in future updates -I would throw in some added reverb, mild distortion, maybe some rapid multitap echos, that only ramp in at near maximum velocity.  My studio is in disarray as I've just moved but I can't wait to explore Pianoteq with some MIDI controlled effects.

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

Hi dreamsmith,

this is not in an .fxp but is a special user dynamics curve in the MP8. The MP8 will learn what is ppp and fff under your fingers and provides the proper velocity values in MIDI.

Rainer

Hello Rainer,

Thank you for your response.  I checked your keyboard at the Kawai website, and was very impressed with the MP8's features.  Real wooden keys, all the tweaking possibilities one would want, etc.   I actually thought about buying one, but the $1900 price was a little bit high , especially since I've invested quite a lot in my Kurzweil K2500SX. But it's great you have that feature available on the Kawai that you can use to change the velocity curve.

I just wish I had it.

Music is the fuel of my soul engine

Beto-Music wrote:

Try this FXP: Dynamic thunder S. Erard.fxp    See files.

I agree that Pianoteq, even when the velocity curves it's adjusted to your midi conroller, have no enough loudness and FFF. Indeed I feel like it have a bit less than FF.

This FXP of velocity curves it's a attempt to create more strong strikes, by reducingt gradualy the less stronger and weakers strikes. After increase volume a bit it works like a little trick to give the feeling of more powerfull strikes.

Hello, how I can to ge this file, im interesant in how adjust de velocity for more piano realistic respond, thanks, Nelson.