Topic: Question: Can Pianoteq be layered effectively?

I've been wondering for some time about this.  We all agree that Pianoteq is a wonderful piano, but some of us feel it is not perfect (yet )
So the obvious question is: can Pianoteq be layered? Is this practical?  For example, the Synthogy Ivory has a very nice sound to it, and some people even think it's superior bo the Pianoteq.  It has superior tone, especially in the lower end, and is after all, a sample set from the great 10-foot Fazoli, as I understand it.  So with the tone of this instrument combined with the playability and dynamic of the Pianoteq (note that the Pianoteq has 127 different velocity levels, and the Ivory has 10 or 12, depending on whith of the piano samples are played).  So theoretically, there is more room for expression in the Pianoteq.  But as I said before, the Ivory has wonderful tone, which can be heard (in it's demos  (go to  http://www.ilio.com/synthogy/ig/index.htm#demos to hear them).

To me, the combination of the two pianos might be a good thing.  And if I've upset any of the great Pianoteq people around here, I'm sorry, but you know me:  I want it all!

Music is the fuel of my soul engine

Re: Question: Can Pianoteq be layered effectively?

I've played with layering a bit, though not with Ivory (too expensive for casual experimentation). I've tried the Cuban Upright and Steinway Orchestral pianos from Logic. The technique works reasonably well if you use a high-pass filter on the sampled piano to emphasise the recorded natural overtones.

Ultimately, though, it's a small gain in exchange for a small nuisance. Which becomes a much bigger nuisance if you're using non-equal temperaments as I do.

hey Doug,
Thank for the response; I hear you. 
Did you realize though, that Synthogy has a new standalone that is getting absolutely rave reviews, and is about 1/2 the price of the normal Ivory product?  It's called the 'Italian Grand'.  I would not spend $300 usd for another piano.  BUT this is $150, and does not need the other package to function.  As i said, it's a standalone.  The bad news is that you need the 'iLok' usb key to make it work, which costs another $49.
The Italian Grand, as I said in a different post, is a 10-foot Fazoli sample that has to be heard to be believed.

At that price, it puts it in the realm of my owning more than one virtual piano.   I LOVE Pianoteq, but why not have more than one, if the price is reasonable?

It's interesting that on the Ivory piano's website, people comment, and some of them love the Pianoteq, and others don't.  This is definitely a subjective thing.  It makes you wonder if people hear the same things that others do.

One other thing:  For those of those who are not as up on temperaments, what does a non-equal temperment add to the music? I'm obviously ignorant on temperments, so I could use some education on the subject.  And maybe others could too?   Thanks.

dreamsmith wrote:

One other thing:  For those of those who are not as up on temperaments, what does a non-equal temperment add to the music? I'm obviously ignorant on temperments, so I could use some education on the subject.  And maybe others could too?   Thanks.

It doesn't lend itself easily to words. My suggestion is to try some of the alternate scales in Pianoteq and listen closely; Well-Tempered and Werkmeister III are pretty non-scary.  Aside from smoothing thirds, the 'strings' resonate differently. It's just a sound I prefer.

dreamsmith wrote:

So with the tone of this instrument combined with the playability and dynamic of the Pianoteq (note that the Pianoteq has 127 different velocity levels, and the Ivory has 10 or 12, depending on whith of the piano samples are played).  So theoretically, there is more room for expression in the Pianoteq.To me, the combination of the two pianos might be a good thing.  And if I've upset any of the great Pianoteq people around here, I'm sorry, but you know me:  I want it all!

Ivory has 127 dynamic levels as well -there is just velocity cross switching involved at up to 12 places within that range.  Even when the same sample is being played within its velocity range, the amplitude and frequency envelopes applied to the sample vary at every step of the 127 available steps and there are audible changes occurring.  Nonetheless, Pianoteq does recreate a new model at every velocity point, which is a more "organic" response.  And yes, you have upset me -you must be a member of "THRUSH" Hey.. layer to your heart's content.  As I've stated ad nauseum, I like my Kurz PC2 with Pianoteq.  But I layer Matrix 6 with Chroma Polaris with FS1R with DSS1 etc.,.. it's all good.  And I also love what I've heard pianists on this forum do with Pianoteq straight out of the (virtual) box.  It's all good...  Put catsup on your eggs -my cousins do !

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

Layering instances of Pianoteq can produce interesting results, too.