Topic: Looking forward to what we discuss here

Given the degree to which the sound of PianoTeq can be adjusted, and the complex ways in which the controls interact, I look forward to learning what other people have discovered and what can emerge as everyone interacts. A forum is the perfect forum for this instrument.

Re: Looking forward to what we discuss here

Thanks Jake. We look forward taking part of the discussions and advises here.

Hello everyone. Just want to say thanks for the superb software. My piano tutor was amazed and putting the metronome in as addition on the new version has helped in my studies. No excuses for me not to practice now!!!

Just a quick question that someone may be able to help with. Whats sort of figures do you expect on the Performance Index on the About page (I get about 21). I primarily went for Pianoteq as a light alternative to the large sampled alternatives, and so far it has performed well with no pops and crackles with my firewire card.

Uno

Hi all!

Pianoteq is awesmoe and I know many people that are jealous of me right now

Uno, I get 9 in the performance index. I don't know if it's good or bad, but I have absolutely no problems with more than 64 polyphony... No pops, cracles, anything really...

The performance index is not an absolute measure, it can vary from +- 20% depending on what is played. A value of 21 is typically what is obtained with a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo, which is currently the most suited cpu for pianoteq, a value of 9-11 may not be sufficient if you are playing fast, this is the kind of score obtained with some old athlon-xp, or a 1.6GHz pentium-m, or a 1.2GHz G4 cpu.. All of this are very rough approximations and its very complicated to state for each cpu which performance index it will have, that's why we just state on our site that "a recent cpu" is sufficient

That's rather weird, cause I'm using a 2.8 GHz Athlon...

Why am I getting 9 then? (soundcard sucks and I sue ASIO4all drivers instead...)

Yes this is maybe a little bit weak, maybe not so much, it depends on the generation of your cpu. I guess the 2800 is its P-rating, not its real frequency ? My athlon-xp 2400+, which runs at 2GHz gets a perf index of 8-9 when I play the first 20 seconds of the default chopin waltz in the standalone.  But a turion-64 @ 1.8Ghz, such as the one available in Muse Receptors gets a perf index of 14-15 and perform very with pianoteq, so frequency is not the only parameter.

If you have many applications running in background, or if you have cpu-throttling enabled (because you're running on battery for example), this may also have a negative impact on audio performances -- but the audio driver should not (except a very broken one maybe)

Hi all, it's good to have this forum up and running now because if there's computers involved there will always be questions!!

For what it's worth I get a Perf. Index of 11-12 for the Bach with a 2 Gb AMD Turion and I have no overload problems even with heavy playing.

That wasn't the case when I first tried Pianoteq. My laptop is new and I was using it pretty much as delivered but I discovered the CPU speed was set to Medium. Once I set it to Max all was well.