Topic: Kirk Hunter library contest

Hello everybody
Here is a new performance I did for Kirk Hunter library contest; solo violin is Kirk Hunter obviously but piano is Pianoteq. To me they match very well.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...dKNwLPKFPk

Re: Kirk Hunter library contest

etto wrote:

Hello everybody
Here is a new performance I did for Kirk Hunter library contest; solo violin is Kirk Hunter obviously but piano is Pianoteq. To me they match very well.

Cheers

Very nice and authentic sounding recording, I wonder if I had guessed it was virtual instruments if I wasn't aware. What kind of effects did you use?

Hi Philippe,
thank you, I'm happy you liked it.
Well, I posted the preset in the FXP Corner
For what concerning the mix I basically used three inserts (and a logic impulse response as the main reverb): a compressor, an exciter and a little EQ cut.
I set the compressor to only smooth the peaks with about maximum 3dB of reduction and to give a little warmth and glue to the piano notes; the exciter is set at 1900 Hz so all the harmonics above that frequency get boosted. At the end I did a little cut around 180 Hz with the EQ of 4dB.
I did this to get the some presence in respect to the violin considering that the piano is a little in the foreground anyway.

Thanx for listening
Ettore

Thanks etto for these interesting details, I am always amazed by how much know-how is involved in good recordings!

Ettore:

Could you provide more details on the compression and other modifications you used on the piano sound?

Thanks.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn NK (06-01-2012 21:05)

etto wrote:

Hello everybody

Cheers

Very well done!

Thank you Paul; impressive work on your site!

Glenn, there are not big variations on the sound; you can find the fxp in the fxp corner area.
The compressor is a fairchild emulation and is set with quite long attack time and variable release (the program 5 on the original 670 that should be from 0,5 to 1 sec release time if I remember well). Ratio is something around 2:1 and threshold set to cut 3dB on loudest passages. That's all

etto wrote:

Thank you Paul; impressive work on your site!

Glenn, there are not big variations on the sound; you can find the fxp in the fxp corner area.
The compressor is a fairchild emulation and is set with quite long attack time and variable release (the program 5 on the original 670 that should be from 0,5 to 1 sec release time if I remember well). Ratio is something around 2:1 and threshold set to cut 3dB on loudest passages. That's all

Thanks Etto.

Glenn

You're welcome!

etto wrote:

Hi Philippe,
For what concerning the mix I basically used three inserts (and a logic impulse response as the main reverb): a compressor, an exciter and a little EQ cut.
I set the compressor to only smooth the peaks with about maximum 3dB of reduction and to give a little warmth and glue to the piano notes; the exciter is set at 1900 Hz so all the harmonics above that frequency get boosted. At the end I did a little cut around 180 Hz with the EQ of 4dB.
I did this to get the some presence in respect to the violin considering that the piano is a little in the foreground anyway.

Thanx for listening
Ettore

Your video, programming, recording and performance were AWESOME!
I wonder what that might sound like using Pianoteq 4.

Regards,
-Seth- (Cefshah)
www.cefshah.com

Last edited by cefshah (23-04-2012 00:25)

cefshah wrote:
etto wrote:

Hi Philippe,

Thanx for listening
Ettore

Your video, programming, recording and performance were AWESOME!
I wonder what that might sound like using Pianoteq 4.

Regards,
-Seth- (Cefshah)
www.cefshah.com

Thank you very much Seth!

Here I tried PT rhodes in a Fender Champion "600" amp sim and liked the result Sorry for the watermark, I hope it doesn't bother too much..

http://soundcloud.com/edc-4/dantes-blues

Best

Gorgeous sound! What preset did you use?

Thank you Philippe! I slight modified the R1 Soft preset. I'm leaving for the we but ss I'll be back, the 2nd of may, I'll post the preset in fxp forum if interested.
Thanx

Ettore

Last edited by etto (16-05-2012 00:18)