Topic: How to get this sound?

Hi,

How can I get this piano sound:
http://choikorean.tistory.com/35

Warm and full for bass notes and crystal clear and brillant in the treble at the same time.

I had some success with the bass, but failed to get this "crystal" clear sound in the treble.

TIA,

Peter

Re: How to get this sound?

Peter,

The link you posted took me to a set of photographs of a lake. I didn't see any music files on the page at all.

Hi,
Sorry,
below the photos there should be a flash-player applet.
It should start playing after some seconds, if not press the start button.
You need flash installed.
It plays 6 different versions of yuhki kuramotos composition "Lake Louise". The version can be selected by pressing the rightmost button of the player applet.
Edit:
The composer himself at the piano is seen here:
http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView.do?...q=kuramoto

In one of those it is visible that he plays a Steinway piano.

Peter

Last edited by peter (08-08-2008 22:48)

My mistake. I had scripts turned off.

My impression is that much of the sound quality comes from the hall. The volume of the reverberated notes seems slightly higher than the volume of the initial notes. (Possibly the mics were slightly wre closer to the rear of the hall than to the piano?)

Putting the Wetness slider a little to the right of center will make the reverberated notes louder than the initial notes while keeping the initial notes audible. A popular, and free if you don't mind a nag screen, Reverb is the vst effect Ambience. 

I may be wrong about the source of the sound that you want, however. Let us all hear what you create.

Jake Johnson wrote:

My mistake. I had scripts turned off.

My impression is that much of the sound quality comes from the hall. The volume of the reverberated notes seems slightly higher than the volume of the initial notes. (Possibly the mics were slightly wre closer to the rear of the hall than to the piano?)

I believe, the sound comes a lot from a special microphon techique. It is a studio recording and might also have artificial reverb. I was really satisfied with the reverb that I could get out of ptq with a combination of reverb and resonance settings.

I may be wrong about the source of the sound that you want, however. Let us all hear what you create.

I am a very beginner, nevertheless I love and wish that sound, but I hesitate to post my playing. I still use the trial version of ptq and am undecided if I should get a better (more modern) piano or a laptop and ptq ;-)

brgds,

Peter