Topic: Question about the PTQ EQ

Hi Everyone!
Playing around with all the PTQ sliders for a long time now, I never used the PTQ EQ very often. The EQ for me allways reacted so different from any other EQ I've used before. So is it an EQ in a usual way? For me it sounds more like a PTQ allgorithm-dependent parameter that influences the frequency values of the PTQ sound. It changes the sound more than, in my opinion an EQ could do. So please tell me if I'm right or wrong! (What ever I hear:"it drives  me crazy!")  I've to say that it is in deed very effective, but I do things with it I would't do with other EQ's.
please help me PTQ-team!

greetings
heinke

Re: Question about the PTQ EQ

Hi Heinke

What I have found is that the EQ uses a relative curve instead of an absolute curve...
this means that if you slide the total curve up, the overall sound will not change whereas you would expect all frequencies to be boosted....

Hi,

The EQ is not a regular EQ. A regular EQ effect is a post process filter. PTQ's EQ is pre-process working directly on the model. Lesson 4 in the manual will give you a better idea ...

-- Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

Hi all, you are absolutely right. As a matter of fact, when implementing this EQ, we thought it was interesting that it changes the timbre of each note without changing its relative loudness - the interest being that you can boost the low frequencies while still maintaining the overall equilibrium between bass range and trebble. This was possible to implement because the EQ acts on each note before it is computed, unlike a standard EQ which acts on the global audio flux (all notes mixed together). But this unusual way of working seems to be quite confusing, so for the next version, we plan to remove the normalization step, thus boosting low frequencies will both boost low frequencies of each note and rise the loudness of the bass notes.

Hi Guillaume, could you maybe give the user the option to choose between both mode instead?

I was expecting this suggestion Actually, we have in mind an alternative that will solve the problem, but it's a bit early to give details...

you know you can always count on my suggestions to give you more programming work :-)

Thank you all for the help!
Now I use the EQ+the overtone sliders and get all I ever wanted! Really funny how knowledge  blocks creativity and sometimes turnes out not to be knowledge at all.
I never found a discription on the pianoteq site-don't know why. Where is it to download?

greetings

azrael4