Topic: Interested in PianoTeq

Hi.

I am not a keyboardist.   I am a guitar player and a studio owner.

I have Protools 7.3.1 and have tried various sampled piano programs including NI Acoustik Piano.

I have had difficulty getting the NI stuff to work correctly - very buggy as an RTAS plugin in PT - all kinds of latency and tracking issues.

I am possibly looking to replace the NI stuff with PianoTeq.

I just read the review on ProRec.com, a site I frequent quite a bit and trust when it comes to recording technology.

I would like to hear from those using PianoTeq in PT as an instrument track plug-in.

Are there any plans to issue a TDM version of the product?  I don't particularly like RTAS.

Cheers,

Ken

PS.  How CPU intensive is it?

Re: Interested in PianoTeq

Isn't there some VST->RTAS plugin wrapper for protools? If there is, try using that.

Well, depending on your cpu, it's moderately intensive. If you have quad-core, I think you'll not notice much cpu-leeching from pianoteq. If you use a lot of bass notes under sustain pedal, the cpu use increases by a large margin, so take heed of that. But generally, on my Core2Duo @2.2 GHz, most of the time I have around 5-20% cpu usage, worst case (over 128 sustained notes) being something around 35%

Hard work and guts!

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but you know, it really would be much better to run Pianoteq on a separate computer than your Pro Tools system and control it via MIDI.  You could also run other software instruments on that computer.  Yep.. more money, but you've probably been meaning to ride your bicycle more, anyway....

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

There's a free working demo version of PianoTeq that has a few crippled notes. If you download this demo version from the PianoTeq site and experiment with it, could you let us know how it works out for you?

KennyDeVries wrote:

Are there any plans to issue a TDM version of the product?  I don't particularly like RTAS.

Hi Ken, there are no plans for a TDM version. For best performance of the RTAS version, just make sure the hardware buffer size is set to at least 64 samples.

Jake Johnson wrote:

There's a free working demo version of PianoTeq that has a few crippled notes. If you download this demo version from the PianoTeq site and experiment with it, could you let us know how it works out for you?

I have DL'ed the demo version and will test it this week.  I'll let you know how it works out.

I am also looking into the Muse Research Receptor as used by Hugh Sung.