Topic: cymbalum anyone?

I have to record a cymbalum part for a movie... I thought that I could achieve a reasonable simulation of this sound with some tweaking of the Pianoteq... Does anybody already tried to achieve this?

Thanks for input...!

Re: cymbalum anyone?

Hehe, I think I have encountered a similar sound when raping the Random button so, try your luck with that!

Other than this, it would be nice to have modeled cymbalum addon!

Hard work and guts!

I just got aq crazy idea for a new tool on Pianoteq:

What about a special option, a adjust,  to allow the piano models to pluck the strings instead of hammer the strings?
    And for the harpsichord a option to hammer the strings instead of pluck.

Also, considering the harpsichord can have 2 or 3 registers, what about a piano with somehing similar?  Like three hammers per string, allowing we choose and combine.

I guess it would be mechanically inviable to a real piano, due size and space, but not to pianoteq.

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-06-2008 16:47)

yep, nice... but I still need a cymbalum sound :-(

Hello,
I have a pretty good sampled hammer dulcimer on my emu esi 4000 sampler. Unfortunately I only have a hard drive for it, so don't have the means to copy sounds, though I could record each note and send you a cd or maybe even record the part: I have a studio here.
I think it'll be tricky getting the initial attack of the hammer from pianoteq.
Tom

I think a Cymbalum and other instruments like a harp could be emulated by pianoteq but would lack in timbre variation because of the fact that the strings of these instruments can be excited at any point over their whole length, resulting in different overtone spectra.
Which leads to a feature request: A MIDI controller that does exactly this: Changing the position of string stimulation.

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

right... a cymbalum has no keyboard, hence the problem, but it is a "hammered strings" instrument like the piano. I think it's an interesting challenge to emulate its sound with Pianoteq. Fact:  I already found some good cymbalum samples now but they all lack what Pianoteq brought against sampled pianos: life!

you might try Harptime from Nusofting, an inexpensive (and sometimes glitchy) plugin, you might be able to tweak it for a cymbalum sound, it's an excellent physical modeled harp.

looks fine for harp, but one of the main characteristics of a cymbalum (shared with the piano) is that it has  several strings for each note, and there is always a slight detune between those. In fact I remember working with a cymbalum player that had to spend literally hours just trying to tune his instrument before each performance! Besides, I see no way to emulate a "hammered" sound with this harp plug-in. Thanks anyway, I won't have to look for any other harp plug !