Topic: Preset revision request (I guess this could be called...)

On the Grand M1 Rock preset, do the upper bass and treble respond slightly differently to low strikes? Switch to the Velocity window and repeatedly play the C above middle C at around 25-40 while striking the A or Bb below middle C at the same velocity.

The amplitude is not the problem. The middle bass just seems comparatively bright for its low volume at low velocities. In other words, the bass from B below middle C down to the F two octaves below middle C seems metallic at very low strikes, compared to middle C and above. (I notice it most in velocities from 0-45 or so, but the situation may exist up to 110, with the bass always brighter at each volume\velocity level.) 

Is it just me? Or I am hearing something else--are the unisons on these upper bass strings detuned a little more than the upper register unisons?

I'm not asking that we be able to control the ranges separately. I'm only hoping that if other people find this situation to be true (and the problem is thus not with my keyboard or playing or hearing...) that an eventual revision of this Rock preset would allow softer strikes in the bass to let in a little more bass and a few fewer upper partials.

Maybe the problem, if it's not just me wanting a different sound, is with how these presets are conventionally named: on most hardware synths, "Rock Piano" means a very bright piano across the board. I'm hoping to have the same bright upper treble but with a full bass for soft strikes, since for me, a "rock" piano also means Tom Waits and Joni Mitchell. (Strange to include those two people in the same sentence, but many "rock" players don't play a piano that sounds as bright as the hardware keyboards.)

Last edited by Jake Johnson (11-07-2008 17:04)

Re: Preset revision request (I guess this could be called...)

(I edited the above post to make it more clear. And to ideally encourage a response and get people to experiment more with the M1-Rock preset...)