Topic: Feel free to comment

Hi everyone,

We are curious to know which preset that you use the most. You can select more than one in case you use several presets just as much. Feel free to comment. Thanks.

Note: you need to be logged in to be able to vote.

Re: Feel free to comment

I'm still fishing, really, but it's between Bechstein (not listed, I guess it's not an official preset) and chamber.

In passing, there are a few presets I'll never use twice; is there a way to delete or hide them?

Thank you for the wonderful software.  I have not played in years and am now practicing an hour a day and regaining skills (used to have a Baldwin 7' grand).  I am using Piantoteq on a Yamaha Clavinova.

I use the old v1-C1 and C2-concert mostly - - and the Graf, Bechstein. Blanchet, and  Schöffstoss for various classical pieces.

doug wrote:

In passing, there are a few presets I'll never use twice; is there a way to delete or hide them?

sorry, you can't

btw, just a thought: if instead of being built in, most presets were available as add-ons, then one could choose the ones to have in the Pianoteq*\Add-ons folder. Not sure what would be preferable...

Well, if they were installed by default where they'd show up, most people wouldn't notice a difference. But you could customize your preset list.

i use s. erard (1922) the most for piano solos. love it.

It would have been a good idea to include Bechstein etc. in the poll.

I use C2 concert or chamber (does not make that big a difference to my ears), especially live, and otherwise a lot Bechstein (I like the "twang") and Erard, both of which which have a lot more irregularities than the C models (realism). Bechstein ist good for Pop/Rock, Erard is a good jazz piano.

@ PTQ: It would be quite OK if ALL presets were optional/removable/replaceable. I for one never use the entire C1 range. Or make one folder "presets" and one "user" (the latter replacing the FXPs). That's a common standard in all Audio Plugins I know.

Otherwise -- still inspired. My favorite Plugin

"Or make one folder "presets" and one "user" (the latter replacing the FXPs)."

my vote +1

I also like the Bechstein & Erard a lot.

"Or make one folder "presets" and one "user" (the latter replacing the FXPs)."

I really need to change between Presets and FXPs during live perormance so
they would be adressable by midi bank + Program change

For example: Bank 000 PG 1-128 for the current and future Presets, Bank 001 Pg 1-128 for the first User bank (FXPs) , Bank 002 Pg 1 - 128 for the 2nd and so on.....

I use a lot m1 Jazz (a little bit modified),  C2 concert, C2 Chamber (all with subtle adjustements).

Fogwall wrote:

We are curious to know which preset that you use the most. You can select more than one in case you use several presets just as much. Feel free to comment. Thanks.

Actually, it's Blanchet (plug-in) for listening (C2 chamber for playing myself).

The plug-ins are a real big plus to the Pianoteq concept!

(How about a 'real' Rhodes Mark I ?)

Regards
Peter

guillaume wrote:
doug wrote:

sorry, you can't

btw, just a thought: if instead of being built in, most presets were available as add-ons, then one could choose the ones to have in the Pianoteq*\Add-ons folder. Not sure what would be preferable...

I ended up making ".fxp" shortcuts on my Windows desktop (with the icon being an image of the actual piano used).   I "drag and drop" the shortcut to Pianoteq to activate the preferred add-ons.

For now, the Bechstein. But I often try out many of the other presets--each one leads me in a different direction.

I love this instrument and the way it can be tweaked to get a personal sound. It would appear there are some clear winners in the poll, which also seem to be my faves as well.

As for the addons which aren't listed above, I quite enjoy a blast with the F.E. Blanchet for that extra bite!

Hi there,

So far, 10 people have voted for the "M1 Jazz" preset, which got almost as many votes as the "C2 Chamber" one ! But nobody commented on it yet, so I'm wondering what is the reason that make so many people prefer the M1 Jazz to all other presets ?

I hadn't voted until just now myself...
I found the M1 jazz is a good basis for rock-oriented music when I just started using Pianoteq. Lately I start understanding all editing-options better and the way they interact with the sound and the last fxp's I made use the C2 concert as basis - even in going to a 'rock-piano'.
Most pianos I know from popular or rock-recordings are far brighter than the C1 and C2 presets which is why my preference was with the M1 at first.
To be perfectly honest at the moment I hardly use any un-edited preset.....

cheers
Hans

I didn't vote for the M1 as my favorite, since I tend to use the Bechstein, and find myself experimenting with the parameters on all of the presets, but I do like the M1 sound because:

1. It sounds really good in the octaves below middle C and the middle C octave. Great for playing slow blues. At low and middle velocities, there's that nice, hard to define sound--maybe a combination of the sympathetic resonance, the cabinet, and the slight detuning of the unisons. Almost a rattle. Love it.
2. It's "ambiance" is good: not too distant, not too close.
3. Has more wood in the sound than some of the other presets.
4. Has some bite, but is not too crisp or metallic.
5. At the same time, it can sound fairly liquid, without becoming too smooth and entering into the sine tone realm.
6. Maybe 3-4 above mean that the dynamic range is good. There are distinct changes in the timbre at different velocities, so the the low velocities are neither too crisp nor too sine-tonish and the high velocities are bright without getting too crisp\metallic too fast.
7. It's good for fast jazz playing--has enough body to sound good, but it still lets you play solos without the notes dying too fast or lingering too long.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (04-01-2008 16:43)

The S. Erard is my favorite. Sometimes I use the CP-80 or the Graf Pianoforte.

S Erard is my favorite too, since is the one with less artificial tone among all 88 keys presets. My ears are too much sensitive to the tone. Bechstein, despite of be created from a real one, have too much "steel feeling" sounding like metal, like a "over pop" piano.

I tried to reduce the hammer hardness of Bechstein, but didn't goth the sound I wished.  Maybe Phillippe could created a worked version of Bechstein, fine tunned carefully (using adjusts not present for the Pianoteq users interface) to allow Bechstein became more warmer and soft.

About the earlier C1 presets, like jazz and the rest, I found them way inferior to the C2 Camber and C2 Concert presets.

Fogwall wrote:

Hi everyone,

Note: you need to be logged in to be able to vote.

As for myself, I mainly use the Bechstein (incredible in the upper register).
I also use Erard, depending on the pieces.
And less frequently : C2 chamber.

I would really love an old Pleyel preset ! for example based on a pianino built between 1850 and 1880.

So...

I use the C1 Deep, mainly, but that is because the concert preset, creates problems. It appears that my 4 year old computer, single core 2.8 GHz and 2 GB of RAM (which is somewhat irrelavent in pianoteq), is not able to keep up.

So my question now (or should I start a new thread?)

I'm looking for the best (most realistic) preset. Even if custom made. Or a combination of two presets maybe? Any ideas towards that?

Nikolas

Maybe a milionaire and Steinway fanatic offer Philippe 100.000 dollar to create a Steinway Add-on only for hinself.   :-)

About computer power, Athlon are horrible and can't be compared as said the manufacturer in terms of equivalency. My Athlon it's said by manucfatures as like a 3.0 Ghz Pentium in performance, but do not handle well on Pianoteq as a Pentium 3.0ghz.

I'm using mostly M1 Jazz preset, it has a really silky high end, and I love the deep octaves on that one. C2 concert is also awesome, somewhat muffled sound, but with great character. For every preset I spread stereo width to 2 and decrease dynamics to 40 dB.

Hard work and guts!

I was not sure for awhile (being fairly new to this board, and only having the trial Pianoteq (I've ordered the full version, and am anxiously waiting), but now I have definitely gone to the Bechstein as my favorite, and have just posted my favorite fxp file (MyPersonalBest!!.fxp), along with two great midi files I found on the web of St. Louis Blues and All The Things You Are.  These midi files, using the above fxp, souond very, very authentic to me, and I LOVE the piano sound generated.  I'd love to have anyone's comments, yay or nay.  But if you have a better one, I'd really love to hear it!

Music is the fuel of my soul engine

I still haven't used Pianoteq much, but the one I like the most is definitely the Sébastien Erard add-on preset. I like its warm and "complex" (and yet modern) sound and I really hope that other grand pianos like this will be physically modeled.