Topic: Fast switching between presets?

Is there a way to quickly switch between the presets/instruments (i.e. .fxp files - not just from the drop-down list)?

Whilst the "Recent files" list can be useful, what I would like to see (perhaps in the stand-alone host?) would be the ability to assign .fxp files to the function keys, i.e. pressing F1 = one preset, F2 = another preset, etc.

The idea would be to switch preset by pressing just a key instead of having to mess around with the mouse and/or menus.

I tried loading multiple instances of Pianoteq 2.3 into the free VSTHost and assigning a specific midi channel to each instance so I could switch "instruments" using the program selector on my midi controller. This worked fine (though took up a bit of memory) until I closed VSTHost. When restarting VSTHost, the plugins were loaded again, but all instances were listening on all channels again instead of sticking to the specific channels I assigned.

Any ideas?

Re: Fast switching between presets?

For the basic presets, you can use the program change buttons on your midi keyboard to change presets (if you have "Respond to program changes" selected under the Options\Midi menu). In the standalone version, you can also press the Alt and any number key to call a preset. (The vsti version doesn't support this feature, probably because most hosts let the user define keyboard shortcuts.)

However, there is no way, as far as I know, to automatically call an fxp. For the vsti version, you might be able to set this up in your host. Several people have requested this for the standalone and vsti in the Features Request thread. Do add your voice.

I don't know vsthost well. A good program, but have you tried Cantabile lite? Many, many more features, and it tends to behave as you might expect.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (29-07-2008 03:21)