Topic: Patch/Program change in Cubase

I'm working on a song in Cubase VST32/5 and have one track using Pianoteq. I want to be able to change the patch from a rhodes sound to the M3. I've tried to set different patches for two different parts in the track, but, the patch does not change when the song locator arrives at the new track part.

Also, a secondary issue, is that in the drop down list of patches accessed in the edit panel in cubase, there are only some of the available patches listed.

Any advice is appreciated.
Ian

p.s. Cubase VST32/5 can only run 8 VST instruments, otherwise I'd have just set up another track with a new instance of Pianoteq.

Re: Patch/Program change in Cubase

fulvia wrote:

I'm working on a song in Cubase VST32/5 and have one track using Pianoteq. I want to be able to change the patch from a rhodes sound to the M3.

You need to setup the program changes in the "Options/Midi" section of Pianoteq:

http://www.rcsprogramming.com/images/program_change.png

Click on the "Program Change 1" (for example) and associate it with a preset.

Sorted.
Thank you John.
Ian

ah...thought I was sorted, but there's a hitch.

The preset changes fine when the song is played. However, when I export the audio for the whole track the preset does not change. There is a tick box in the audio export dialogue box for "update vst instuments during export". I've checked it but this did nothing.

I'm going to try different latency settings next. Perhaps the track is being "read" to quickly and pianoteq is not being given chance to change the preset.

fulvia wrote:

ah...thought I was sorted, but there's a hitch.

The preset changes fine when the song is played. However, when I export the audio for the whole track the preset does not change. There is a tick box in the audio export dialogue box for "update vst instuments during export". I've checked it but this did nothing.

I'm going to try different latency settings next. Perhaps the track is being "read" to quickly and pianoteq is not being given chance to change the preset.

You're going to have to do a "Real-time" export...is there any reason why you can't have multiple instances and midi tracks? What DAW are you using?

Cubase VST5/32. It only has 8 vst slots and I need the other 7 for other instruments.

fulvia wrote:

Cubase VST5/32. It only has 8 vst slots and I need the other 7 for other instruments.

Sorry...you did mention that.

I still have Cubase VST/32 installed on a G4, and I took a quick look to refresh my memory...there is no "Real time render" unfortunately.

It looks like you would have to record that Pianoteq track to an audio track (in real-time) with program changes (sort of a poor-mans freeze) and then mute the midi track in favor of the newly imported audio track.

You must be on Windows...

Yes Windows xp2. AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 x 3.4 GHz) AM3 6MB - Black Edition, Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (2x2GB) - (DDR3), and an older Echo Gina 20 bit soundcard.

I've used preset changes with different vst instruments before and not had this problem, but will do a more up to date test.

Yep, I think conversion to a separate audio track may be the answer, but I like to keep things in midi tracks as long as I possible can before mixdown.

Will post if I'm able to get it working properly.