Topic: ASIO4all and latency...

I had been using Pianoteq just fine on my laptop with the default drivers.  I installed my second license on a Shuttle AMD PC and had about a second of latency !  None of the settings associated with the sound card (built-in) did a thing for me, so I installed the ASIO4all driver.  After about 2 days of futzing around with installing/disabling/rebooting and having hung startup screens -ITS WORKING GREAT !
So I guess I'm just trying to say to those who are having troubles or may give up on the demo -stick in there.  I don't know exactly what kick-started it, but all of a sudden it was working.  I think you guys at Pianoteq could probably talk a bit more about this ASIO thing and it's necessity as well as the options available.  At least have a "Sticky" on the possible solutions.  I bet you there are a lot of folks that try the demo and never go to the lengths to fix the latency because they are afraid to screw their computer up over a demo -and thus, give up on the software.  Just my thoughts...  Now if can just get my online Wimbledon Live screen to show up !

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

Re: ASIO4all and latency...

Cellomangler wrote:

I had been using Pianoteq just fine on my laptop with the default drivers.  I installed my second license on a Shuttle AMD PC and had about a second of latency !  None of the settings associated with the sound card (built-in) did a thing for me, so I installed the ASIO4all driver.  After about 2 days of futzing around with installing/disabling/rebooting and having hung startup screens -ITS WORKING GREAT !
So I guess I'm just trying to say to those who are having troubles or may give up on the demo -stick in there.  I don't know exactly what kick-started it, but all of a sudden it was working.  I think you guys at Pianoteq could probably talk a bit more about this ASIO thing and it's necessity as well as the options available.  At least have a "Sticky" on the possible solutions.  I bet you there are a lot of folks that try the demo and never go to the lengths to fix the latency because they are afraid to screw their computer up over a demo -and thus, give up on the software.  Just my thoughts...  Now if can just get my online Wimbledon Live screen to show up !

This is similar to my case.  I have a background with real pianos, and a separate background in computers, but I had no knowledge of midi usage, midi cables, and various basic computer requirements to risk even testing the Pianoteq trial version.

Because I had heard impressive reports of the software capability, I took the risk and bought a special computer and the cables and was then able to test the trial version and the buy the real version. 

I can see how a cautious musician with little computer knowledge would be very reluctant to risk getting the hardware and gain the knowledge, only to be disappointed if Pianoteq turned out to be a "dud." 

A specific "stickie" structured to "hold the hand" of a prospective buyer would be an asset.  Pianoteq is definitely worth the risk.

Re: ASIO4all and latency...

Thanks for your suggestion. It is very good. We will add a sticky thread where we link to the appropriate sections in the FAQ (we will also update the FAQ).

Regards,
Niclas