Topic: Do overtone settings affect sympathetic resonance?

For instance - if I increase the third overtone (i.e. freq x 3), should it increase the relative intensity of the third overtone in sympathic resonance?

does it do it now? - I have a feeling it doesn't from a short experiment:
put sym. resonance all the way up,  hold down C3, hit G4 as hard as you can, and listen to the resonance volume. Then play with the 3rd overtone slider, and do that again - it seems to have no effect on the symp. resonance ...

regards,
Eran.

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

Re: Do overtone settings affect sympathetic resonance?

Thank you for pointing this, you are perfectly right. This is something that we will correct in a future release, we just forgot to update some parameters. Btw, when you change the spectrum, it changes the exciting notes, not the excited notes (this is because the modification applies to the voicing process at the hammer-string interaction level). Thus the most direct experience will be: hold down G4, hit C3 and play with the 3rd overtone (thus the 3rd overtone of C3 acting on the fundamental of G4). The other way, you will be observing the third overtone of G4 acting on the 9th overtone of C3, more difficult to hear.

thanks for the reply - and for the explanation - of course the exciting note only should be affected - like changing the felt's shape on that c3

eran

www.myspace.com/etalmor

It seems to me that this kind of update can be more important than it looks, subtly altering the overall feeling in many ways. Looking forward to it!

Hi PT developers,

Just dusting off an old wish/bug ...
are you planning to fix current behaviour (overtones spectrum doesn't affect symp. resonance) in the future?

all the best,

Eran.

www.myspace.com/etalmor

Etalmor, yes, this will be done.

Thanks Phillipe

All the best,
Eran

www.myspace.com/etalmor