Topic: Pianoteq FXP contest - voting thread

Voting period: June 1 to June 10.
Winners will be notified here on June 11.

We now have 11 entries in the FXP contest.  Thank you to all participants and good luck! We have closed the upload function for now as it is now time for voting. Each member of this forum can vote for one entry. All participants in the contest must also vote (on one of the other entries). Modartt will give their own votes at the end of the contest on June 11.

Please let this be a fair contest - may the best entry win.

How to vote: Just reply in this thread, letting us know which entry you think should win. Feel free to comment. All members of this forum are welcome to vote.

The participants are as follows:
------------------------------------
1. VegaNova - Dream Girl
2. Max - Spacy Newage
3. toshi - Galaxy
4. mtyas - peaceair
5. spuddle - spikey-clouds
6. Palebluegrey - Icy Glasses
7. wizard_of_keys - china town
8. doug - century
9. pethu - SemiAcoustic
10. Teoteo - Soft-Rhodes
11. CosmicD - Celestial Satin Piano

Download, listen and read entry descriptions here.

We strongly recommend to try out each FXP in Pianoteq prior to voting. You can load them from the options menu in Pianoteq.

Let the voting begin!

Re: Pianoteq FXP contest - voting thread

We had a last minute entry coming in, so I added that also as no votes have come in yet. So, 11 entries.

I'd like to vote for Palebluegrey - Icy Glasses.
The present sounds a little electronic and makes me think of a Brian Eno song.
One thing that sounds bad is the back noise you added, but the present is good anyway!

#1...piano@.mp3 - and lets see (hear) some more piano only demos

(semiacoustic....a close second)

kcj wrote:

#1...piano@.mp3 - and lets see (hear) some more piano only demos

(semiacoustic....a close second)

The Piano@.mp3 is not participating in the contest, it is not an FXP (also see the list above with participants). So I assume you vote for the SemiAcoustic.

hello
i like 1. VegaNova - Dream Girl because it is dynamique and satisfied the ears

4. mtyas - peaceair

great programming...

5. spuddle - spikey-clouds

I love this!!!
and I wouldnot like to vote over 45sec wav file.
Rule is important.

After all making presets and tunes was the easy part, finding the preset to vote for is very hard. So many great sounds...

Anyway, I'll have to chose one so it will be:

Great grain to the sound, and a real ambiance, I'm sure we will be hearing it quite often soon.

Otherwise special mention to:
Teoteo - Soft-Rhodes.
I had fun myself trying to make different rhodes sounds, and yours sounds really nice.
VegaNova - Dream Girl
Very original sound, really proves that this instrument can produce some mazing sounds.

And well done to all the others, some great tweaking out there. Hope we all continue

There are some excellent patches here. I listened to the mp3s to get a sense of the designer's intent, but I also tried the FXPs using the supplied Chopin midi file and playing with them myself.

Needless to say, I checked out how they were made as well as how they sound in their default state. I eliminated a number of interesting-sounding FXPs because their 'character' was mostly determined by extreme eq and/or reveration settings which limits their flexibility in use.

Ultimately, I chose 10 Soft Rhodes. Teoteo shows real skill and understanding, using all of Pianoteqs controls to get a sound like another of the three primary keyboard sounds (organ, EP, piano) while retaining all the expressiveness and flexibility of the pianoteq engine. So there you go: sounds great, shows a mastery of ptq's parameters, and it's a useful substitute for a dedicated EP model.

Hi guys!
I uploaded the present exactly as used in my demo (with large reverb) in order to be as honest as possible in this contest.
Now Reverb in Dream Girl plays the role of amplification, an electric guitar without/with amplification... huge difference!

Last edited by VegaNova (05-06-2007 01:24)

Yesterday I voted for SemiAcoustic.  I am sticking with that vote (since I only get one vote)...but the soft Rhodes wins today, and, I am betting yet a different one will be my favorite tomorrow!

It’s voting time.  This is the hardest part.  I have tried all the presets, and listened to all the demos numerous time.  Lots of great presets here.  I was able to narrow down to 4, but choosing 1 out of 4 was very difficult.  So after careful consideration here is my final pick.  mtyas gets my vote for really pushing the sound of the module to the extreme.  The demo sounds cool too.       

4. mtyas - peaceair

kcj wrote:

Yesterday I voted for SemiAcoustic.  I am sticking with that vote (since I only get one vote)...but the soft Rhodes wins today, and, I am betting yet a different one will be my favorite tomorrow!

Play nice

2 good entries: pianoteq playbak and dream girl
why cant we vote for the first where is the fxp?
so i will choose
1. VegaNova - Dream Girl

pianoteq playbak isn't part of the competition, it uses lots of different presets.

Matt

And the vote goes to... [drum roll] ... SpacyNewageElectroPiano!

Runner up: Chinatown.

This based solely on "momentary inspirational impact" -- whatever that is!

Honorary mention: All the others.

(Eurovision style)

spuddle - spikey-clouds : 8 points

mtyas - peaceair : 9 points

and finally...

Teoteo - Soft-Rhodes : 10 points! (and therefore my vote)
I really enjoyed playing this one last week and felt rapidly 'confortable' with.

Anyway, everyone did great work with complementary and inspiring presets. Choice was definitely hard and certainly unfair!

Good night all

Hello everybody,

Ok, here is my vote. It was not easy at all, as each preset sounds really different and the choice is inevitably subjective.

So, let's go :

3 - Max - Spacy Newage Electropiano (make me think about the atmosphere of "Le Grand Bleu")
2 - Mtyas - Peaceair (make me think of an old detuned music box)

and the first one .......

1 - Palebluegrey - Icy glasses. Ok I PROMISE IT IS NOT because you voted for me !!! It is because I liked the tone change between the single note and the chord, and the church organ sound when using the sustain pedal.

Anyway,  I found all the presets very good. They give illustrations of the possilbilities of this software.

Best regards, Teoteo.

hi there,
im Krys how are you all?
to introduce myself i select

1. VegaNova - Dream Girl

i am a beginner in piano and i hope our discussion will be very interesting in this forum
see you soon

You vote for the present or the demo?
i found the three best parameters

-mtyas - peaceair: excellent sound (the scale is altered, only good for fx)
-VegaNova - Dream Girl: a lot of reverb (you must know in real rhodes sustain is not made by reverb, but you're ok i can disminue the reverb)
-Teoteo - Soft-Rhodes: very good! but pianoteq can do better than it

i tried to improvise with every present, and the best is with

VegaNova - Dream Girl for what i vote

it's good because when i sustain is different from when i press quickly the note

thank you all for your work

Luis

*casts vote-like magic missile!!*

>spuddle - spikey-clouds

reminds me of electroplankton, and its already grown on me in about half an hour...

its original and distinctive, although kinda subtle. unfortuantly it strikes me as the kinda thing that would be easily overlooked...

*nudge* listen again

Now that the hard part of voting is out of the way.  I feel a little easier to post some comments, and yes, this is very subjective.  Lots of nice work here and each one is so unique. 

What I found interesting was that many of the sound characteristic fit the demos perfectly.  For example: Chinatown, this piece make you feel like your cruising though the streets of china.  The other pieces that intriqued me aswell were, spikey clouds and Icy glasses.  SemiAcoustic had a very nice smooth touch and cool sound.  Yes, the soft Rhodes was done very nice, and nice playing as well, even thought I am not a big fan of the Rhodes kind of sound (Told you, this was so subjective and a matter of personal taste).

The Satinpiano piece, I thought was also well done, and did have that nice satin sound to it.  Yes the Dream Girl piece is nice, but I would've liked to hear it without the accompanying beat.   I feel like a winner already that a couple of people actually like my piece.  Sorry I must have low self esteem.  Anyway thanks.  Good Luck to everyone.

Hi Max,
After the voting ends, I'll post a solo jazzy composition I play with Dream Girl, of course if you accept...
And Luis, I'd really like to listen to something from you using it! Can you upload something? (record and play, export to wave and finally convert to MP3)

Thank you all!
Vega

Vote: Chinatown did it for me.  I just have a soft spot for oriental sounds
Ice glasses was a close second though, instant magical atmosphere machine!

Good fun to play with the presets, thank you all, great creativity abound.

Peace all.

people i china only play with the black keys in a piano hehe...

vote: dream girl should win (my opinion)

as now there are 3 exequo's on place 3...

I like "10. Teoteo - Soft-Rhodes", I vote for it.

now there are 2 second places

well well well... which one is the best?
i'd say dream girl
and good luck all and the one who will get it will be sooo lucky

Richard

Cosmid Dreamer, no one can tell who are the winners yet, as the Pianoteq team votes will have a crucial impact on the final decision...
Now the heart tempo goes faster and faster...

Thanks everyone for voting and for your interesting comments. We will open up a new thread today with the list of the winners.