Topic: Kudos

Sorry for the cheering post (not adding anything new, I know!), but I just learned about Pianoteq from Keyboard magazine last night, tried the demo, and literally fell from the sky in amazement after playing the first few notes. My heartfelt congratulations for the developing team and my best wishes for their future efforts.

I own the East-West Boesendorfer and the whole Ivory package, and Pianoteq's revolution feels like meeting the aliens for the first time. Software simulation really is the way to go, if such a small program (only at version 2!) can accomplish so much (and my super-system, which still crackles with Ivory, handles Pianoteq at max settings flawlessly). I had slowly become nauseated at the idea of loading humongous sample databases only to have them glitch and, ultimately, yield an often unsatisfying product. In fact, after recently upgrading to Vista 64-bit I had been reluctant to reinstall all the several sample DVDs and watch my large hard disks being eaten up like peanuts. Pianoteq is giving me back the joy to play, and I am truly grateful.

Re: Kudos

Hi,
I have similar feelings about pianoteq.
I wasn't impressed with the v1,but I bought it anyway and put it in
"cold storage" for a few months until the v2 came out. I was pleasantly
surprised by the tremendous improvements from  the previous version.
I hope the development team would continue to strive to improve the
product further.

I have a whole lot of sample piano libraries, including Ivory, K2-based
products (including Black Grand, 7CG, VGP, EW Bos 290) and very recently
BDMO.Some of these are quite good, esp those I can include a piano sympathetic
resonance script in K2. Those (including Ivory) without sympathetic resonance
do not sound or feel like real piano.

In my opinion, Pianoteq v2 is way ahead of the pack.Nowadays I hardly use
any other than Pianoteq, as it is so quick to load and plays more like a real
piano.

Congratulations to a great product, and may your product continue to improve

and now eastwest is going to come with 'pianos', which is a whopping 240 gb of samples. One might ask the question why they even try when they know something like pianoteq is around ?

CosmicD wrote:

and now eastwest is going to come with 'pianos', which is a whopping 240 gb of samples. One might ask the question why they even try when they know something like pianoteq is around ?

Why so many samples? 240GB it's just crazy!!!!

Sample technology, despite all huge limitations compared to Pianoteq technology, can intermediary velocities by specials algorythm filters. Like get a piano library with 10 velocities of strike and get 6 intermediary velocities, beetween 7th and 8 layer, by filters.
     Akoustik have this filter, and also Promega3 from GEM.

It's will be still a plaback library of piano keys sounds, but at least without noticiable velocity changes.

Akoustik have no Sympathwetic great effects. K2 PMI Library with Simpathetic Ressoance Scripts have no filter to create intermediary velocities.

Pianoteq it's the only software with both qualities and a extra in flexibility.  Akoustic it's nothing close to get great sounds, and PMI libraries have noticiable velocity layer.

yeah, in EWQL silver it's extremely noticable!. I was making several tunes with it and I always needed to look out that, when I was inserting extra "feeling" in my performance in the key editor: I mustnt go below a certain velocity or you would have need to choose between a certain attack which was too soft, or too strong, so I couldn't actually express the feeling at the piano level without suddenly having notes on top of it that sound too bright....

PS: in EWQL pianot's they are putting 3 famous pianos i think. Steinway, boesendorfer and a yamaha each with repeat samples , sustained repeat samples, and what not...

EWQL is very good for their stormdrum, and orchestra but I wouldn't choose this one