Topic: Peavey DPM C8

Any guidance would be helpful

Re: Peavey DPM C8

endofcommon wrote:

Any guidance would be helpful

First of all, may I suggest that if there is a way to choose hard/medium/soft touch on your Peavey, that you choose the appropriate option in order that you may reach all velocities from 0-127. The optimum touch option will allow you to play soft, but also reach 127, but without too much ease!

Once you've done that (if you have the option), you can begin to work on the curve in pianoteq. The most important thing to note is that it is YOUR curve. It should 'feel' good to YOU. If YOU like it, that's all that matters! That said, it is desirable, if not preferable, to have a wider rather than narrower dynamic range, especially for classical pianoforte works. This, as you are aware, makes for much greater tone color possibilties.

Now let's begin by working on the '0/0' end of the curve. If you want a cutoff point so that when you depress a key very slowly, it will not make a sound, as with a real piano, then you'll need to put a control point at 0 on the volume axis and, to begin with, something like 13 on the velocity axis. This will mean that any velocity 13 or less will not sound. Adjust to your preference.

If you don't wish to have a cutoff point, no problem.

Next, check out the preset curves within Pianoteq (I don't mean the user defined once on the forum, I mean the ones that pop up when you right click on the velocity curves graph in Pianoteq. This will give you some idea of the rough shape the curve should take, i.e. a concave or convex curve. It will also with the indication of the type of curve, give you an idea of the pitch of that curve.

Ok, now that you have a basic idea of the type of curve and it's intensity, you can begin to sculpt and hone your own.

See how you get on with this much. Post if you require further assistance.

Also fellow pianists, if I've missed out something so far, or if I haven't articulated my advice clearly enough, or if I have given any incorrect advice, please interject, Thanlk you.

all the best in creating a curve that works for you endofcommon,

regards,

Chris:)

Last edited by sigasa (08-03-2011 21:43)