Topic: Output when mixing.

I've just finished my first jobb using Pianoteq in a mix with a fairly good result for the purpose. However, I found it quite difficult to get the Pianoteq sound equal good when listening to the mix via speakers compared to listening in headphones. I can't figure out which OUTPUT from Pianoteq to use and what differents they actually makes. It seems to be more than only the STEREO WIDTH that is mentioned in the manual. Actually I'm not sure about the meaning with the output option as it works.

Any suggestions out there?

Re: Output when mixing.

There is a big difference between listening to the same recording through headphones or loudspeakers. One main reason is that through loudspeakers, you hear the natural reverberation of the place where you are standing. So what we tried to  achieve with the “output” control is to provide to the listener the same psycho-acoustic feeling with both listening modes. Consequently, there is more reverb, more resonances and a different stereo width when output is set on headphones position.

The question which one to use for a mix has no straightforward answer. It depends on the style of music. I notice for example that in classical music, recording engineers usually add quite a lot of reverb, so I guess that in that case, output headphones would be adequate. You can also find intermediate positions by using the interface controls (reverb, global resonance, stereo width).