Topic: Yamaha P-85

It works at "NORMAL" Velocity setting from:18,0 to 127,127 very well.
No changes while changing internal presets.

Heinke

Re: Yamaha P-85

Heinke

Try this and let me know what you think

Keyboard:

Hard touch and electric piano 1

Pianoteq:

C3 Solo Recording preset
Velocity = [10, 127; 0, 127] (as I recommended for CP33 in dedicated thread)
Limiter  off
Concert audience reverb
Level compensation on

here's a demo:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...0curve.mp3

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (04-03-2010 00:33)

sigasa wrote:

Velocity = [10, 127; 0, 127]

Hi Chris!
I think I do not understand your settings. 10,127? I use 0,18 as the starting point. 10,127 and 0, 127 is something like an inverse velo-curve. can you explain what you mean? (because your mp3 does make sense to me)

thanks

heinke

SORRY!
My fault! I did not read the instructions properly.
I did use the parameters shown in the velocity window as they are when you touch the curve (you see two parameters at each point then)

so as in the instructions it should mean 18,127 with Yamaha P-85 at normal velocity internal.
(I still do not recognize any changes using different Yamaha presets)

Chris!

I understand your settings now! I do use 18 as a starting point because I do not play so often PPP (I'm not a classical trained pianist)
I'm using the P-85 for about half a year. I think it's still worth the price but There are still better keys out there...

Velocity = [9, 115; 0, 127]

"In dust we trust"

Velocity = [10, 95, 105, 116, 127; 0, 105, 116, 123, 127]

use this with 'hard touch' setting on keyboard and two instrument presets enabled at once.

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...3.2010.mp3

above demo uses this velocity curve with an adjusted M3 Close mic preset

Last edited by sigasa (15-03-2010 16:04)

ToneF wrote:

I must admit, ToneF, that 9; 0 or 10; 0 is a good starting point for the curve. I also think that 115; 127 or 116; 127 is a good end point. However, personally I prefer a curve at the top so that there may still be a gradation in velocities at the top end. Let me know what you think of the curve.

Chris

Sorry for the late response!

Your suggestion makes sense. So much so, that I use this smoother curve all the time now.

Thank you

Obviously being interested in Piano, would you have perhaps studied at Lincoln college? I only ask because it is one of the few places in the UK to study piano tuning, a profession I am most eager to get into. Supposing you have studied there, what was your experience like?

Sorry if that seems a bit far-fetched!

"In dust we trust"

ToneF wrote:

Sorry for the late response!

Your suggestion makes sense. So much so, that I use this smoother curve all the time now.

Thank you

Obviously being interested in Piano, would you have perhaps studied at Lincoln college? I only ask because it is one of the few places in the UK to study piano tuning, a profession I am most eager to get into. Supposing you have studied there, what was your experience like?

Sorry if that seems a bit far-fetched!

Actually, I did studt pianotuning, but 16 miles down the road at Newark Notts! I enjoyed it immensely! It was about 18 years ago.

Last edited by sigasa (10-08-2010 01:31)

I'm glad

I'm thinking of studying at Newark next year. Despite the distance (some 120 odd miles) from home, Newark seems to have many advantages over studying in London. Piano tuning and maintenance seems more of a central focus than the course in London, for a start.

I keep hearing that there's a shortage of piano tuners in the UK.
Have you found piano tuning to be a viable line of work in and around Lincoln?

"In dust we trust"

I am concerned that I may have offended with my last question.

My apologies if my previous post was too direct and assuming.
I didn't mean to pry.

I simply meant to ask if you had had a good experience of piano tuning post-training.

-Tony

"In dust we trust"

Not offended in the slightest. Didn't continue that line of work!!! There are quite a lot of piano tuners in the UK. There's a much bigger demand elsewhere though!!!

Hi,
Would you recommend this to a beginning player who is likely to only use the grand piano voices? I haven't extensively tried this piano and I'm worried that the Casio privia 130 might have a better voice. A friend of mine has managed to get one for 400$ and is willing to sell it to me for the same price but... I'm wondering if anyone would recommend this over the privia. I need help asap as I am supposed to buy this tomorrow night.

Last edited by winstonterr (29-09-2010 08:16)

winstonterr wrote:

Hi,
Would you recommend this to a beginning player who is likely to only use the grand piano voices? I haven't extensively tried this piano and I'm worried that the Casio privia 130 might have a better voice. A friend of mine has managed to get one for 400$ and is willing to sell it to me for the same price but... I'm wondering if anyone would recommend this over the privia. I need help asap as I am supposed to buy this tomorrow night.

Without any hesitation, go for the CP33!

yes,A friend of mine has managed to get one for 400$ and is willing to sell it to me for the same price but... I'm wondering if anyone would recommend this over the http://www.uggeinkaufenboots.com/ugg-boots-sale.html privia. I need help asap as I am supposed to buy this tomorrow night.There's a much bigger demand elsewhere though!!!

zuo123 wrote:

yes,A friend of mine has managed to get one for 400$ and is willing to sell it to me for the same price but... I'm wondering if anyone would recommend this over the http://www.uggeinkaufenboots.com/ugg-boots-sale.html privia. I need help asap as I am supposed to buy this tomorrow night.There's a much bigger demand elsewhere though!!!

The CP33 has a far better touch than the privia. Casio have improved alot over the years granted, but compared to the CP33 there's really no contest. Also the CP33 has a metal casing which is alot stronger than the privias which are plastic. Go for the CP33, I own one and would never swap it for even a brand new privia! Go for it. There's a review I'll post shortly.

http://www.yamahamusician.com/yamaha-cp33.html

You will have to amp it though as it has no built in speakers!

Last edited by sigasa (05-11-2010 13:06)

http://www.psrtutorial.com/music/articles/cp33.html

Velocity = [0, 19, 32, 73; 0, 24, 39, 91]

This is a curve that allows soft playing but that gets brighter easily. It will only reach a top value of 91, and it works well with the default internal P85 curve.

Admittedly, it's not for everyone. For me it works well for relaxed, nuanced playing with dynamic range up to single forte, or perhaps a bit louder.

At my Yamaha P-95, I use note-on maps that were originally posted as they were intended for P-85 usage.  Here are velocity maps that were posted originally for Yamaha P-85 models:

Note On
  • Hard
    Velocity = [10, 95, 105, 116, 127; 0, 105, 116, 123, 127]

• Medium

• Light
    Velocity = [0, 19, 32, 73, 127; 0, 24, 39, 91, 127]

Sustain Pedal
  • Sustain
    Velocity = [0, 25, 95, 127; 0, 0, 127, 127]

Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.