Topic: Release

Teaching students at a conservatory in Malmoe, Sweden I´m very interested in the
subject of release functions. Whenever you play acoustuc grand pianos, it´s natural
totake advantage of the variable release tha a piano offers. If playing chords in beat-style you can choose to vary the release rhythmically by the attack and the way you release the key.On every digital piano there is only one release when play - regardless
of your attack.
When you play jazz-triplets you often use a portato.technique with a rather loose wrist
and let the pianos release connect the tones in the phrase. If you use the same tech. on a digital instrument the result will be more staccato-like. As a result of this the student often automatically press the hand down and hold each tone a bit longer to give that
legato-feel. This is a very hard wotk when playing long sessions. On my own digital piano a choose to have one sound with three different releases depending on which tempo I play in.
I´ve played professionally for 30 years and have never succeded to interest any producer of digital pianos in this subject. I want a piano with a variable release depending on the attack. That shouldn't be a problem - or?
KjellE

Re: Release

Pianoteq does respond to MIDI Note Off Velocity though, is that not what you're after?