Topic: Question#2 @ Pianoteq

I know that for instance the damper-sound is sample-based.
Is actually the whole upper 2 octave ranged sample-based as well???
If I turn all sliders down and EQ too, all that does not seem to affect that range very much(other than sustainlength and cutoff and Q a bit)....
In trying to imitate some piano's I would like the sound to be less bright or harsh even in that segment, but this way there's not much I can do in that area...
Will the pro-version provide more options to affect that note-range or am I missing something in this version?

cheers
Hans

Re: Question#2 @ Pianoteq

the sampled noise that you hear when releasing the key is the action noise. Btw most piano presets have no dampers in the high range (usually the last one and a half octave). A good way for getting less bright sound is to reduce the hammer hardness. The future pro version will allow to reduce it in the high range without reducing it for the other notes (and even to adjust it note by note), but still a lot of work before we are ready...

Hi Guillaume

thanx for the response...
I did lower all hammer hardness levels but that didn't do much for the top 2 octaves...
that's why I asked.
The hardness works great for mid and lower keys but the 2 highest octaves don't seem to be affected (or not noticeably to me anyway)

you are right, treble is less affected by hammer hardness. This is also true in a real piano: the hammer felt is much thicker in the middle range than in the high notes, thus gives more latitude to change the timbre in the middle. Interesting to note also is that there are many more overtones in the middle than in the high notes (only a few ones in the last C). We will do our best to improve this anyway, thank you for the observation.

Creart:

This may not affect the actual timbre (the harmonic content) of the treble notes, but it greatly affects the sound of the treble in general: play around with the Body Resonance slider. Reducing the body resonance gives more body to the upper treble notes. Increasing it, to my ears, pushes the decay of the note away, as though the frequencies are sliding away into a large space. When it is reduced, the decay seems closer at hand. (Is this a problem? Does the body resonance affect treble notes more than it should, while it sounds good for the midrange and bass?) At times, in the model, I'm not sure if the piano body resonates more than a real piano would for high notes or too little--I'm not sure if it's vibrating too much (and the sound I hear is the resulting vibrations), or if it is too resistant, and is thus reflecting the sound out more than it should. I think I want it to reflect the sound, but push it around in the piano more, and towards the player and all around the player, instead of away from the player.

In other words, my impression is that the code is the same for the low and high notes--low notes vibrate the wood more and thus sound closer, but the higher pitches bounce off the wood and are dispersed. But for the player, for a realistic emulation, these higher frequencies could be more present, since the high freqs are both bouncing towards her\him and bouncing back and forth inside the piano.

I have no idea if this has been studied--the rate at which various freqs decline as they reflect back and forth off the inside of the piano. It's not convolution. Or is it? Or is part of the problem, if there is one, the point in time at which the reflection occurs--do the treble notes get reflected a little too fast off the soundboard? Or is it both the amount of reflection and the speed at which it leaves the soundboard? Am I making sense at all?