Topic: Sample rate question

UPDATE!!

Never mind this topic for now folks. We're trying to figure out the cause of what was obviously a (pleasant) anomality on my system. I'll let you all know when/if I find a logical explaination for what I experienced.

feathers

Hi everyone

Having used just about every sample based piano software on the marked, without being completely satisfied with any of them, I have finaly found my go-to piano-soft in Pianoteq. The playabillity and realism is astonishing!

However, I'm beginning to think I have a ghost in my machine, as I was previously able to configure Pianoteq at a higher sample rate than actually seem possible.

All the time I was testing the demo version (v.2.0), I was able to configure Pianoteq to take full advantage of the 192Khz sample rate of my Lynx2 audio card, but after installing the full and licenced version (v.2.1), I no longer get any sample rate options above 48kHz. No matter how I configure the Lynx2 card, Pianoteq's configuration window only offers a maximum of 48kHz.

I allmost expect to recieve the answer that Pianoteq doesn't offer sample rates above 48kHz, but I kid you not, I've been playing with a 192kHz setting for weeks and, toggeling between sample rates, there's no question the 192kHz rate made the Pianoteq sound waaaay smoother. 48kHz sounds quite sterile compared to 192kHz.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar - or maybe Niclas can verify whether the Pianoteq is actually limited to 48kHz, in which case that ghost in my machine must be worth a fortune and I will have to try to re-create the "error"

Anyway, I'm totally sold on this piece of software!

Thank you for reading
feathers

Last edited by feathers (10-08-2007 17:09)

Re: Sample rate question

I am having the exact same problem. I have a Creative X-FI elite pro card. With the demo, I am sure that I was using 96kHz. I just installed the full licensed version (2.2).  Now 48kHz is the fastest in the configuration menu. Also, 44.1 is not even displayed anymore.

Help!!!!

Hi for Creative Elite Pro  X-fi Users .
Here I will write how to change Pianoteq sample rate freq's. Step by step .
Start Your PC . Open Creative X-fi Elite Pro Audio Console . Left side down there is settings , go there and change any sample rating U  want , for egz. 48 khz . In creaticw console , save any your changes , with name for egz. "My setup 01" ( next time if U need to change anything in this console save again , with same name, - overwrite . ) . Close console . ( every time U start PC , U must open Creative Console and select "My setup 01") Now open Pianoteq v x.x . , go to File meniu , select Preferences , select Change Audio Configuration , U will see Audio Settings window , in Device List select ASIO: Creative ASIO . In Device Settings Output Channels : select FrontL/R + Front L/R . Frequency : 48 kHz . If U will open ASIO Control Panel there U can select latency Time in ms . If Your PC is fast about 2.4 Ghz , U can select latency about 10 ms . if your PC is dual Core about 3 ghz select 5 ms , if Quad Core select 2 ms . Push OK . These latency settings is not properly , it is depends of how much polyphony U are using ,  ? how U are playing , if U will hear cracks and pops , just make latency more ... . If your PC is multi core , not forget apply in Options Multicore Rendering . Now U will see 48 khz in main window ..... But if U will change sampling rate on Your Creative Console sampling rate for egz to 96 khz , there is no chance to see in Pianoteq 96 khz sampling rate number in main window , U will always see 48 khz . in  Audio settings meniu there is 96 khz , but not in main window . In main window it always download twice less fraquency , - 48 khz . If U will change in Audio settings sample rate to 88.2 khz , in main Pianoteq window it will be possible to select maximum sampling rate 44,1 khz .... If it is like this , it is better to use in Creative Console sampling rates 48 khz . And in Pianoteq select 48 khz . It will be much better , and much quiet sleep , after hard work to try make propper setup . Even I open in Cakewalk Sonar v7.01 Pianoteq , like VSTi plugin , ( I change Sonar Audio engine sampling rate to 96 khz .... Pianoteq in main window shows 48 khz ... In this case I recomend to work in 48 khz , to avoid software "counting" different sampling rates inside programs engine I thing . I don't know why it happends , but it happends on my friend PC's too . Sorry 4 english , I think U understand me .

Oh yes I remember (like says forum member "faethers" ) , that before , when I just install Pianoteq , I can chenge sample rates to 96khz , but after few try's , it will stop to change and fixed on maximum sample rate 48khz , same happends on other PC's ...

And not forget , that nothing helps if U will change ASIO: Creative ASIO  , Windows DirectSound : Primary Sound Driver , or Windows DirectSound : SB X-fi Audio [1000] drivers , same "song" ...

I think there is simply a sampling rate conversion in real time, like in "Reaper". I was running this shareware once at 96 KHz and tried to open Pianoteq... it opened  without problem, but like any other "file", it was simply converted to 96 KHz in real time by the software, it didn't really worked at this frequency.

Yes there is a samplerate conversion, so that pianoteq can run even if the host sampling frequency is greater than 48kHz. But the internal engine of pianoteq will not run at a sample rate higher than 48kHz. So if your host is 96kHz or 192kHz, pianoteq will list 48kHz, 24kHz, 12kHz etc, and if the host is at 88kHz then pianoteq will list 44kHz, 22kHz, etc.

Ah ... I was just getting this issue...

Is there any good reason to limit Pianoteq's engine to 48kHz?

I do most of my work at 96kHz these days...

Would that extra octave of harmonics interacting not improve the sound? (How much energy does a real piano put out in that extra octave, I wonder...)

/bump/