Topic: Pianoteq piece: Beginnings

Hi All

Felt inspired today and came up with this tune

beginnings

http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1693

5 MBs

Uses Piano ( Pianoteq) a real harp, strings ( atmosphere) and a minimoog sound from which synth I can't tell you which one yet, as I am doing sound design for it.

Enjoy

Can you tell which group I was inspired by?

anyway..I am having fun with Pianoteq..it really inspires me!

Tim

Re: Pianoteq piece: Beginnings

It's nice. Has a definite Scottish/Celtic feel.
In order of similarity:
--Ossian
--Battlefield Band
--Silly Wizard/Phil Cunningham

Hi,
I'm not so familiar with that type of music that I would know where you got your inspiration from... it sounds like Enya could easily sing over it though, so Clannad maybe?...
The minimoog sound and playing-approach reminds of me of Rick Wakeman's here and there...

nice going!

cheers
Hans

creart wrote:

Hi,
I'm not so familiar with that type of music that I would know where you got your inspiration from... it sounds like Enya could easily sing over it though, so Clannad maybe?...
The minimoog sound and playing-approach reminds of me of Rick Wakeman's here and there...

nice going!

cheers
Hans

Hi Hans

yeah..I was thinking of the 'yes' sound, so good comment. To be honest, I never heard of the bands that Ockeghem describes..might be worth looking into.

How does Pianoteq sound in this piece? I did do my own tweak to make it a bit brighter as well as more hammer noise.

Tim

Ya I think the piano sounds ok... the mini comes in quite strongly at first I guess...
And after listening to it again I think it sounds more like the Jon Anderson solo style - like 'Olias of Sunhillow' mainly 'cause there's quite a lot of harp in there which didn't reach too many Yes numbers as far as I can recall....
And for a real Yes song it lacks Squire's bass and Howe's guitars
But it sounds nice!
Maybe I can try some bass and guitar over it? Or are we then changing this forum into something it wasn't intended for???

cheers
Hans

And after listening to it again I think it sounds more like the Jon Anderson solo style -

yes..that is who it was intended for :-) ( but thats another story)

I suppose I can add some bass and guitar ( as I play both)
But..to stay on topic..I really liked Pianoteq on this..it has a good bright sound.

Tim

I decided to do a remix of Beginnings.
Added ( real) Fender Bass, acoustic guitar and a bit of sustain guitar (nothing
fancy) and raised and lowered levels.

http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1694

The bass really adds to it as it gives it a bit more structure. It sounds more like Yes now :-) I also bought up the piano!

Nice job Tim! It has definitely improved... a bit more 'Tales from Topographic Oceans' now... now only Jon' ethereal voice over it and it's done!!

I tried some leadguitar(real) over your first recording but it started to sound more like MIke Oldfield that way.... (haven't recorded it though)

cheers
Hans