Topic: Uploaded the preset with the tuning for the Steinway M

Uploaded the preset with the tuning for the Steinway M for the M3 piano. Remember that this is just the raw tuning done with a basic mic setup. A point of departure.

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...%20Raw.fxp

Notes:
--The M in the Pianoteq instrument stands for Modern. There is no relation between the two M's.
--Playing this preset, I didn't at first notice a lot of differences from the D tuning. However, listening to the Nocturne 27 midi file, I notice many subtle differences in all of the ranges.
--This has the same, hear-the basic-sound, mic settings as the Steinway D tuning.
--Use Freeze to try this tuning with all of the instruments. BUT: The Freeze settings for Tuning include several elements. Just freeze the Diapason, the Detune, and the Octave stretching. Otherwise, you'll be freezing the unison width, etc, and applying it to a new instrument.
--Remember to turn off Freeze...
--I'm not rendering the nocturne for this. The sound is better if one just loads it oneself and listens. And I don't want to clutter up the Files area with endless renditions showing subtle differences in each tuning.

What I've learned from recreating these two tunings

1. I need to start creating Scala files, assuming that a Scala file has the exact effect of doing a manual detuning. (????)
2. Small differences in the stretch, and the ratio of stretch in the bass to stretch in the treble, make an enormous difference in the sound, particularly when you start making other changes per note.
3. Stretching low in the bass has an enormous effect on the sound of the entire instrument: Just starting to explore the effect on the midrange.
4. There are sometimes small sequences of stretch in the middle. IF these two pianos represent what is often heard (if...), it's not unusual to find fairly strong detunings--of three cents, here, audible in chords--in the midrange.
5. Always remember to turn off Freeze...

Last edited by Jake Johnson (21-12-2009 20:15)