Topic: Recorded Pianoeq sound quality

I am enjoying trialling the Pianoteq demo version and am impressed with its performance. I do have one source of frustration though: when I record my performances (standalone or as Cakewalk plug-in) either to wave or mp3 or CD and play the results through a stereo system with decent speakers, why can’t I reproduce the quality of sound that is evident on the pro demos on the Listen page (as well as on other sites)? How do those guys capture their performances? I have to say that when heard through headphones my results sound OK but they seem to definitely lack something otherwise. (The fact that they are far superior pianists is well appreciated but not the cause of this problem I’m sure).

The fact that those pro files are played through the very same soundcard and into the sound system should eliminate that as a likely weak link I would think and if they sound good why don’t mine?

If I can crack this I will be really happy.

Regards
Paul

Re: Recorded Pianoeq sound quality

Hi Paul,

I own a full version and I'm very happy with it. However the authenticity of the piano sound is greatly affected by many factors:  pianoteq parameters, your sound system, the room, the musical situation ... personally i'm still looking for a good monitor for small live gigs.

So I didn't quite understand - are you dissatisfied with the sound only after you recorded it? what if you play real-time through your sound-system? there really shouldn't be any difference (I used cubase for rendering) ...

good luck
Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

Eran, thanks for your response.

Unfortunately the sound system is in a different place to the piano but I will try to rearrange things to experiment. But as  I say, my recordings (via sequencer or standalone) don't seem to match those that I mentioned.
Thanks
Paul

Paul,

could it be a treatment of EQ and/or Reverb? Also in the end the soundcard will result in different hearing results. I mean a 24-bit sound card, will simply sound better than a 16-bit one. Even if dithering is on the way and everything comes down to 16-bit in the end... Hope it makes sense what I'm saying

Nikolas